Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Popping noise driving me mad!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SweetDEALS is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Popping noise driving me mad!

I'll get right to the point.....

I cannot seem to find this particular topic discussed anywhere else, so I will take my chances and bring it up here.

For a long while now I have been hearing a rattling/popping sound ( coming from what appears to be inside the car (or beneath me). This sound occurs when the car is in drive (mostly when i am at a complete stop). I can hear it in neutral, if I rev the engine to just below 1000 rpm. At times the sound can be quite loud; ironically, it cannot be heard outside of the car. Once the engine has had a chance to warm up to normal operating temperature, the sound goes away....except for the fact that it can be heard when accelerating from a stop, or braking to come to a stop. it is like every time the car passes through a low idling range, this sound can be heard. Like I said, it can really only be detected below 1000rpm (especially on a cold engine).

The engine sounds fine when warm, the transmission sounds fine....this damn popping sound can only be heard when turning and going slowly, braking and going slowly, driving slowly, idling around 800-1000 rpm (see a theme). I have no clue where to begin looking in order to narrow down the problem. I have thought that having a value clearance adjustment performed might solve the problem, or perhaps having the timing belt replaced (currently at 122,000km..on a 2001 lx...that's right).

Any suggestions would be appreciated before I give in to costly (and perhaps unnecessary) fixes.