Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

weird high pitched noise when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.0lxstang is an unknown quantity at this point
It's possible that it could be your IAC (Idle Air Control Valve). After a while it could get dirty or filled with crud and not completely open/close properly, which causes air to whistle through it creating the whine sound you hear. I had this same problem in one of my Mustangs. I just found my IAC via Haynes, soaked it in some break fluid and it was as good as new, no more whine. Even if this isnt the problem, it doesnt cost you money
Old 10-23-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ryangt is an unknown quantity at this point
Do you have an OBX throttle body spacer? that makes our cars sound like they are turbo'd for realsies
Old 10-25-2006
Registered!!

Haggis is an unknown quantity at this point
My Civic (Australian GLI with D17 engine) has a whine related to engine revs. It is due to the plastic inlet manifold! Im not sure if your guys civics have a plastic inlet manifold, but any car I have worked on/driven with a plastic inlet has whined!?
Old 06-01-2007
Registered!!

feet_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: weird high pitched noise when accelerating

ya i have the same problem
sounds like i have a supercharger.
Old 06-01-2007
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang

WOW! 8 months later and it is alive again.
We should put a lock on threads. Say if they go 6 months with no posts they automaticaly close and become a read only. If someone has a question they can start a new thread. Just my .02
Old 06-06-2007
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the rough

^^^^^tru that.
Old 06-11-2007
Registered!!

05civicJRS is an unknown quantity at this point

in one of the stickies it says specifically NOT to start a new thread on something that has already been posted, and to "feel free" to bump up an old one... I recently purchased my '04 DX 5spd with about 28,000 miles on it. About three weeks ago i installed an Injen WAI, and now, for the first ten minutes or so of driving, it sounds like a turbo spooling, but there was no sound at all before the install, so i know its related to the WAI. It does not continue after the initial few minutes so i know it is not the sound that the intake makes, its a little more high pitched. any ideas on what it could be related to the intake would be much appreciated
Old 06-13-2007
Registered!!

Jasdip is a jewel in the roughJasdip is a jewel in the roughJasdip is a jewel in the roughJasdip is a jewel in the rough

If this thread wasn't brought back to life, i wouldn't have read it...

I had a problem like you guys describe just recently on my 2005 civic...I don't know if its the same thing or not but when i accelerated, i heard the noise but not as much while coasting...and if i pressed the gas pedal in just a bit and held it there, i could hear it constantly (pressing it in more would make the exhaust too loud) and i could only hear it while driving, not stopped in neutral (manual transmission)...anyways...Honda replaced a bunch of parts for me..the first time they changed a **** load of bearings for the transmission but it didn't solve the problem so i'm not gonna bother telling you guys which ones...the second time they replaced a few more parts and it went away...I'll list the Quantity, FP Number and Description of each part as it shows on my service invoice...I dunno if it'll help or not..

1 - 41233-PLW-B50 -> GEAR, FINAL DRIVEN
2 - 91005-PS1-003 -> BRG, BALL 6208C SE
1 - 23221-PLW-B50 -> COUNTERSHAFT
1 - 90202-PB6-010 -> NUT HEX 22MM
3 - 08798-9031C -> MTF 1 LITRE

for "Correction" it says: O/H TRANSMISSION, REPLACED COUNTER SHAFT, DIFF RING GEAR, & DIFF BEARINGS

I also had another high pitch sound problem when I first bought my car which probably won't be your problem, but that was an air conditioner pump or something that needed to be replaced....but that only happened while my a/c was on...

Last edited by Jasdip; 06-13-2007 at 05:33 AM.
Old 06-20-2007
Registered!!

allyoucaneat is an unknown quantity at this point

whenever i got my civic it already had a sound system in it and it made no whinning noise at all. later, i took that system out, put my system in which is about 3 times more powerful than the one that was in it and i heard no whinning noise at all. so that shouldnt be the problem. but then a couple weeks ago i moved my battery into the trunk and i noticed that there was a whinning noise(alternator whine) that changed pitches with the engine rpm for about the first 10 mins of driving, then it went away. so the next day i added a ground from my battery to the trunk, and from the original ground to the frame, then the ground on the frame to transmission. now ive had no problems with any whinning noises at all. so maybe a grounding kit will possibly fix that problem. i just used a bunch of amp power wire that was laying in my garage which is basically the same thing.
Old 06-20-2007
Ricky Bobby style, IWGF

02civic21 is a jewel in the rough02civic21 is a jewel in the rough02civic21 is a jewel in the rough