Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   weird high pitched noise when accelerating (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/125317-weird-high-pitched-noise-when-accelerating.html)

slamtank 11-15-2003 02:59 PM

weird high pitched noise when accelerating

when i drive my 5spd ex 03 coupe, especially when im accelerating, i hear this annoying high pitched noise..
its not really loud but certainly listenable..
it doesnt sound everytime but usually when i first drive it out and when i drive for long like more than 30 miles..
now i have 2500miles on my car and its 3months old..
i ve gone to dealer 3 times for this prob but they keep saying that they dont hear anything..
and i ve asked it on this board and saw some ppl have same prob..
i wonder if anyone found or know the reason/solution..

Da1lyDr1ver 11-15-2003 11:55 PM

after i got into an accident, a bodyshop had to replace my alternator. when i got my new one in, i noticed that the car made a whining noise whenever i accelerated. so, i could be your belts, but not sure.

slamtank 11-16-2003 06:16 PM

it could be..dealer guy told that too..
he said he didnt hear any abnormal noise and that what i heard is probably belt noise..i dont kno..

AdamYYZ 11-18-2003 06:34 PM

I have the same model coupe. One of the first things I noticed about it when I bought it was a slight high pitched whine. But the sound that Im getting sounds normal. Its faint but noticable. Do you know anybody with the same model of car as you? Me and a friend bought the same car, so when we are worried about something we drive eachothers cars for a second opinion.

AdamYYZ 11-28-2003 05:37 PM

This is kinda funny because now my car has this problem. It started doing it the other day. It is alot more noticable above 2800 RPM. The whine goes up and down with the revs, its not based on vehicle speed. When Im pushing the car, the whine is louder. Im going to search the forums and maybe go to the dealership to find out what this is. I will let you know if I find out. I would appreciate it if you could tell me if you found out anything.

Thanks

AdamYYZ 11-28-2003 08:28 PM

Ok, I just played around with it some more. It looks like its transmission based. Its very faint in first, gets louder in the rest of the gears. Really starts to make the whine above 3k. In neutral I notice no whine.

I dont think this is a simple alternator bearing like I origionaly thought :(

slamtank 11-29-2003 02:46 AM

yeh right it doesnt sound when i press clutch..
my dealer keeps saying that they dont hear any abnormal noise..
its kinda hard for me to argue with my thought when they being like that since im bad at english..
damn..let me kno if u find anything..
im gonna tell about this to my dealer when i go there for first oil change..

AdamYYZ 11-29-2003 05:53 PM

I made an appointment at my dealer for wednesday. But this morning it wasnt making so much noise. Perhapse it has something to do with wet weather? It did it like crazy while it was wet outside.

DJPark 11-29-2003 11:23 PM

My car makes this noise too. It sounds like I have this turbo powered vehicle with this higher pitched noise. I have a 2002 EX Sedan Automatic. I just noticed it making this noise recently. I wonder if it has to do with the cold weather?

PCaly2112 11-30-2003 05:02 PM

I'm hearing the same noise, mostly above 3000 rpms. Dealership told me they heard nothing when i brought my 04 lx sedan in.

slamtank 12-01-2003 09:07 PM

PCaly2112 yeh same thing here ..
its louder at above 3000
dealer keeps saying that they dont hear any abnormal noise.
maybe i should test drive it with one of the service guy sitting in the pass. side and then test drive another 03 civic in their lot.
please keep me updated if u find any info

DJPark 12-02-2003 08:29 PM

I just thought about and realized that it only really started to make that sound after I installed my sound system. Would that cause it for any reason? :_doh:

PCaly2112 12-02-2003 11:45 PM

Nah, I really doubt that would effect it, the sound appeared long b4 I installed any type of audio equipment

flotsamm 12-03-2003 03:55 PM

Originally posted by DJPark
I just thought about and realized that it only really started to make that sound after I installed my sound system. Would that cause it for any reason? :_doh:

You could have what they call altenator whine. Its when the stereo amps magnify the altenator. I'm not a big audiophile but I think you can fix it by installing a bigger capacitor.

AdamYYZ 12-03-2003 04:26 PM

I was at the dealership today. They said my harshness going into 2nd gear is "Normal" and they also said "What whine?"

Surprise surprise. Dont be surprised if you see my car in the Auto Trader.

DJPark 12-04-2003 03:24 PM

I think my capacitor is plenty big. 5 Fared (I believe that is pretty big one). It does make the noise when the sound is off though too.

slamtank 12-04-2003 09:34 PM

djpark..
the prob. discussing on this thread may not be cuzed by audio setup
since i dont have one.
also i hear the noise only when i accelerate the car..

Vinas 01-29-2004 01:56 PM

I have this same problem...
Anyone figure out the issue yet?

PunkingCivic 01-29-2004 02:16 PM

I was getting a whine noise and it was my altenator bearing going bad.
I had to replace outside of the warrenty and part and labor costed me $452.00
Go to the middle of page three to read about the altenator problem:
http://www.nhtsa.gov/TSBScans/sb631006-sb631014.pdf

If you have a system try getting this
PAC Noise Filters

https://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/li...h127ANS80.jpeg

Alternator Noise Suppressor

Installs on your alternator output lead to suppress alternator whine (a noise that varies in pitch with engine RPM). This high-quality part is sealed for long-life. Its suitable for marine use.

TIP: Sometimes alternator whine can be cured just by topping off the fluid in your battery or properly grounding your in-dash receiver.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-948ATMJ...asp?i=127ANS80

slamtank 01-31-2004 01:30 PM

i ve heard about the alternator bearing going bad..
are you sure that the noise caused by that?
the noise gone after you replaced it?
and why wasnt it covered by warranty?
sorry for many question but i really wanna fix this problem
but my dealer saying that its normal..fvckers
why should it happen to new car that is 6months old and has only 6000 miles on it..i havent modified anything yet..no sound system

PunkingCivic 02-02-2004 08:05 AM

Yes the noise wet away after they replaced the ALT.
It wasn't cover by warrenty for me because I was passed the 3 yrs or 36000 mile.
I was 45000 when it went bad.

Open your hood and to the right behind the light is the power steering and then the ALT under that. If there is a high pitch noise there, it is your ALT most likely going bad.

slamtank 02-02-2004 08:57 PM

even if i come to conclude that its an ALT going bad, how do i make Honda fix it? they always say everythings okay..

gearbox 02-02-2004 09:16 PM

Just wait until it breaks. That's what the dealer always tells me :)

slamtank 02-05-2004 04:41 PM

Originally posted by PunkingCivic
Yes the noise wet away after they replaced the ALT.
It wasn't cover by warrenty for me because I was passed the 3 yrs or 36000 mile.
I was 45000 when it went bad.

Open your hood and to the right behind the light is the power steering and then the ALT under that. If there is a high pitch noise there, it is your ALT most likely going bad.

i found out that the noise comes from that place..
i may tell this to the service man next time i go to dealer

jttegx 02-06-2004 01:24 AM

without that ALT. will it effect the car in any other way at all? because im having the exact same problem.

my car is a 2003 civic ex coupe automatic. i started hearin the whining noise once my front-right speaker blew out. and yes, i do have a system with 1 fared capicator. but the noise started appearing once my speaker blew out.

let me know wsup ppl.

thanks.

Nas0827 10-08-2006 03:48 PM

Not sure if it applies to you but i remember having that sound before and fixed it by wrapping my rcas behind the head unit in electrical tape and seperating the power wire from rcas in the back.

Mitchel 10-17-2006 02:31 PM

I drive an 02 Civic SIR and my car makes a weird whining noise above 3500RPM...it gets alot louder and more pronounced the higher the rpm. I have gone to my dealer many many times and they always tell me it is chain noise. I ask why did the noise all of sudden start at 32,000km and they say "becuase something that wasnt worked in yet, just worked in".

That is crap to me... after reading this i am going to take my alternator apart to see if the bearing is whipped.

kl103 10-18-2006 07:06 PM

yeah mine makes a whining noise to but i have no idea what it is?

ArjoonKumar 10-19-2006 09:14 PM

I hear a whine too but, only when my radio is loud.

ryangt 10-22-2006 08:58 PM

haynes manual says it can be the axles, my car is making the slight grinding sound upon acceleration in first gear, then when you let off the gas and coast to a stop it make a loud whinign sound, but only in first gear, WTF
sorry but its no audio problem and its no alternator bearing