Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

High pitch noise when idle 2008 civic lx

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bradel26 is an unknown quantity at this point
High pitch noise when idle 2008 civic lx

Hey everyone. I have been looking through other threads for similar issues but haven't found one with the same issue as me. My car has been making a high pitch noise when idle for about 6 months. No MIL and no real issues driving but it is extremely annoying. I can not pinpoint the noise since it only occurs while the car is in drive and I am stopped. As soon as I hit gas pedal the noise stops. Not constant but quite a bit each trip. The best description I have is if you were to roll your tongue in a high pitch voice lol. I did see one or two posts about pcv valve so I replaced that and it did not fix it. I also replaced the serpentine belt with no help. I just wanted to see if anyone has suggestions before I spend another hundred on a belt tensioner or other parts I probably don't need replaced. Car has 50k miles on it. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
Old 05-29-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: High pitch noise when idle 2008 civic lx

Compare to a few other similar cars first before you go wasting money, it might just be a normal phenomenon.
The thin plastic intake manifold does not hide air noises the way a cast manifold used to.

Check that your air filter housing is securely latched.

Use a length of rubber tubing held to your ear as a stethoscope, move the other end around to try to locate the noise source or area the noise is loudest.
Old 05-29-2015
Registered!!

So you think it's just something with the the air intake then? Would that fit the description of only being noisy when the car is stopped and not accelerating? I checked the air filter housing and everything is nice and snug. Just checked all my filters recently to make sure there were no blockages or debris. I'm hoping it isn't a normal noise but I guess if it is I'll have to just deal with it
Old 05-29-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

So you think it's just something with the the air intake then?

I'm hoping it isn't a normal noise
I don't know, I can't hear the noise from here!

I sometimes notice a slight whistle on some engines and I don't think about it unless it's really unusual or a customer has a complaint about it.
Idle is when some noises are more noticeable.

I also notice some hiss noises that sound a lot like vacuum leaks on some of the cars with plastic intakes, and it's noisy just because it's plastic. (Noticed it a lot more on other brands I don't see every day.)

Like I said, compare to a few other similar cars before you decide anything or spend money.
And try to figure out better where the noise comes from.
Use a length of hose as a hearing aid to try to locate the source, or even a general area where it's loudest. (Don't get it caught in a moving belt!)
Old 05-30-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

My civic has a plastic intake and makes a whistling sound when it idles. It goes way on acceleration also, probably from the increase in air flow.

Can you get a video maybe?
Old 05-30-2015
Registered!!

I can try to get a video or record the sound somehow. That's what I will work on today to see if I can get.