Turbo Post information/questions about Turbo here!

Can I turbo my 1.7 VTEC Inline 4

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2022
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doublepaws2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Can I turbo my 1.7 VTEC Inline 4

I have a 2004 Honda Civic Ex Sedan that I want to get more horsepower (without any “rice”? Mods) out of without potentially having to rebuild the motor. I wanted to know is it possible to put a turbo on?
Old 07-28-2022
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,450 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Can I turbo my 1.7 VTEC Inline 4

if it is auto trans, give up

moved thread to proper section of the forums
Old 07-28-2022
Click Here

Received 1,156 Likes on 903 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

Anything with horsepower gains isn't "rice". However, with this engine specifically, there are very few modifications that will actually contribute to any real performance gains, and none of them are cheap.

Like Sandro alluded to, if you have an automatic transmission, don't bother because it won't handle the power. If you have a manual and don't want to rebuild the engine, get a health check on it. These engines are fairly prone to oil consumption and head gasket failures, and the last thing you want is to dump several thousand dollars into a build only to find out the engine is crap. So, start with stage 0 and proceed.

But, if we're really being honest, your money is probably better spent in swapping the engine altogether, if not just into a different car.
The following 2 users liked this post by FRSam:
Colin42 (07-29-2022), GolNat (07-30-2022)
Old 07-29-2022
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by FRSam
Anything with horsepower gains isn't "rice". However, with this engine specifically, there are very few modifications that will actually contribute to any real performance gains, and none of them are cheap.

Like Sandro alluded to, if you have an automatic transmission, don't bother because it won't handle the power. If you have a manual and don't want to rebuild the engine, get a health check on it. These engines are fairly prone to oil consumption and head gasket failures, and the last thing you want is to dump several thousand dollars into a build only to find out the engine is crap. So, start with stage 0 and proceed.

But, if we're really being honest, your money is probably better spent in swapping the engine altogether, if not just into a different car.
This
Old 07-29-2022
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,156 Likes on 806 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

If you wanted to boost, a MT swap would be the best starting point. The D17 actually takes boost fairly well, 8-10psi on the stock block, if my memory serves me correctly. Like @sdaidoji and @FRSam stated above, your limiting factor is going to be the automatic transmission. Those can't take torque increases very well. @mac25 would be the best resource for MT swaps, but 1) he might be kinda hard to reach these days since he started his masters program and 2) he's probably gonna tell you it's not worth the hassle.

IF you decide to boost your AT D17, be smart about how you drive in the lower RPMs. You may be safe-ish if you granny it down low and get on it up high. This is pure speculation, however, based on my experience with a tuned 10th gen CVT

If you wanna save your money for a much better bang for buck scenario, save for a K20 swap, then, when you're feeling super frisky, boost that. These days, a K-swap will probably cost you a hair more than boosting the D17 properly
The following users liked this post:
FRSam (07-29-2022)
Old 07-29-2022
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,450 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

well, the thing is that he have not yet replied if his is an auto or not...

Ah, OK, his profile says auto
Old 07-30-2022
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Buy an Si. It will be better in the long run.
The following users liked this post:
FRSam (07-31-2022)
Old 08-02-2022
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone suggesting manual swap is crazy.

Sell your car. Buy a manual. Best way to swap honestly
The following 3 users liked this post by BlueEM2:
BrotatoChip (08-03-2022), Colin42 (08-02-2022), sdaidoji (08-02-2022)