Engine building Post information/questions about Engine Building here!

What to do to engine to perform better?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kingzerg is an unknown quantity at this point
What to do to engine to perform better?

Just bought a 03 Honda Civic ex 1.7 liter automatic. Trying to modify the engine a little bit. Not too educated on cars just want to make it perform a little better but not sure on what to modify. I got a cold air intake installed on it but not too sure what else to put on it other than headers and a complet exaust system. Any help would greatly appreciated.
Old 07-21-2019
Registered!!

IReadALot is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: What to do to engine to perform better?

Originally Posted by Kingzerg
Just bought a 03 Honda Civic ex 1.7 liter automatic. Trying to modify the engine a little bit. Not too educated on cars just want to make it perform a little better but not sure on what to modify. I got a cold air intake installed on it but not too sure what else to put on it other than headers and a complet exaust system. Any help would greatly appreciated.

Personally, I’d start with the small things first, the fundamentals per se. Cover all the basics, then move on from there (i.e. health of spark plugs)

When you put in the cold air intake, 2 questions:

Did you give the throttle body a good cleaning? (with the appropriate spray). Sometimes you can tighten a little the wire that opens the throttle. Over time they loose a little tension.

Some might recommend a long arm cold air intake over short. This way you can properly install a heat shield to ensure cold air being sucked in.

Some say its snake oil some not, chevron techron fuel cleaner. Use it with a tank of 94, drive on highway for an hour. The idea is to burn carbon build up on pistons and valves.

Check transmission fluid, if it’s still in good condition (it’s still pink/red). Go for an atf change with only Honda genuine atf.

Check condition of coolant and radiator. Pretty easy to diy flush cleaning and throw in new coolant. Rinse clean condenser and radiator.

Use synthetic over conventional. Wait for sales at Wallys World, usually where I buy or use their ad-match.

From what I’ve read, enthusiasts prefer Napa or Wix oil filters over most.

Before doing your next oil change, considering putting in a little ATP AT-205 in your engine. Then the next day drain it out the system when you do your oil change.

Lastly, when the time comes for new tires, get something good. Don’t cheap out in this area. A great pair of tires play a huge factor into acceleration, braking, and steering.

Cheers on your new 03 Civic Ex, may it bring you many miles of trouble free driving.
Old 07-21-2019
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Truth be told, the D17 doesn't really respond much to bolt on mods. You won't see much of a difference with just an intake or exhaust. or even both. Now, get your hands on a stage 1 cam (*ahem* @piano55man) and you do those boltons, you'll get some noticeable gain. Sure, those bolt ons will help the engine breathe a bit easier, but that doesn't mean that extra air is going to flow through the head better. That cam will do just that. The cam that piano55man had is the exact one that ran in my 2002 civic before I pronounced her dead, and he just upgraded his beast of a build to a stage 3 cam.

Suspension mods is where the 7thgen gets really good bang for buck. But don't cheap out and buy some budget stuff. Be frugal and find deals, yes. Buy some no-name ebay crap, eh.

Like @IReadALot said "don't cheap out in this area," I follow the same mentality for anything that connects your car to the ground or prevents connecting your car to another car: brakes, tires, suspension.

source: dicked around with a 2002 civic ex MT for 15 years/205k miles. 3 different intakes, one exhaust setup, turbo at one point, 3 different suspension setups, countless audio setups, disassembled 2 heads, disassembled one engine block for overhaul, a couple head gasket changes, 2 timing belts (one got shredded and lead to one head disassembly), 2 clutches, one flywheel (by choice), and a buncha other stuff.
Old 10-31-2019
Registered!!

Marcelo Souza is an unknown quantity at this point

Get a transmission cooler on, my current turbo civic I have the same transmission it’s an auto the transmission has 400,000 miles on it and still kicking
Old 11-02-2019
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nelrodjr is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't waste time or money on bolt ons, save your money. Get a hondata ECU and boost it. 10lbs on a stock block no problem. Port and shim oil pump. Run a restrictor on the oil feed. This is critical. Colder spark plugs, injectors and a good fuel pump. Gauges should be voltage, oil PSI and boost.
Old 11-03-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

no hondata for 7th gen cars
Old 11-03-2019
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Hondata kpro for d17 using a donor k-series ecu @sdaidoji

https://www.hondata.com/kpro/kpro-d17