6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

New here: buying a '00 with lots of stuff done and have ????s

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BoostedFalcon is an unknown quantity at this point
New here: buying a '00 with lots of stuff done and have ????s

Ok, in an attempt get better mileage for my return to school and dropping to part time work I've been looking at Civics. To be honest I'm a v8 guy and owned Krazy Koncepts Performance for 6 years. We specialized in latemodel Mustang, Cobra, Shelby, and some GM performance.
Anyhow, I don't know much about the Honda world, but I am looking to buy a Civic tonight that has a bunch done to it. I have test driven it and everything seems flawless. Any words of wisdom or advice?

Here's the list of info:
2000 Civic EX
88k Miles
Automatic Transmission
New Falkin Tires
New Timing Belt
New Battery
Injen Intake
DC headers
AEM Cam Gear
AEM Pulleys
Crower Street Cam
Crower Springs
Crower Retainers
Throttle Body Port & Polish
Intake Manifold Port & Polish
DH-Racing Head Port & Polish
Tanabe Exhaust
TSW Rims
Rear Spoiler
Moon Roof
Air Conditioning
Sony CD Player
Clifford Alarm
Dual Air bags

Like I said before it all checks out really good and he has had all the work and maintenance done at a reputable local shop. I noticed the valve train is a bit louder than a stock Honda, but I'm assuming that is normal in a Honda with a cam swap, springs, and retainers. He's had the engine work done since '06 so I assume since it is still working good they probably did it right.

I'd be happy to hear any comments.
Thanks
Old 02-10-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: New here: buying a '00 with lots of stuff done and have ????s

All the parts listed are mid-range quality, far from the best, but definitely not ebay knock-offs that you need to be concerned with causing reliability issues.

The part I would be extremely concerned with is the automatic transmission, Honda automatics have had reliability issues on a number of models in that period. If you notice any sign up slipping at all on cold fluid, then the trans is most definitely on the way out.
Old 02-10-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Newfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the rough

if you owned a performance shop then you should know to check the atf condition prior to buying, unfortuneatly way to many ppl never change teh atf fluid or filter these days so mu word of advice is to check that as its a dead giveaway on the condition of the trans.
Old 02-10-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Trannys werent tooo bad in 2000... drain and inspect the fluid if everything is okay you should be good to go.

My overall advice is to buy a stock civic but it seems your mind is made up!

Welcome to the forum, cant wait to see some pics!
Old 02-10-2011
Registered!!

The visual inspection of all the fluids showed they were reasonably clean and they guy has been very **** about caring for his car. He has all the receipts from every time maintenance has been done. He even has all the emissions test results over the past years. I would prefer it to be stock, but after driving a ton of them, his is by far the most solid car. Plus he has every stock part from the car including the wheels, original head with all valve train, stock intake manifold, throttle body, headlights, floor mats and everything that he changed out. Plus I think he's pretty honest with me as my brother and him went to high school together and we live in the same little town.
Old 02-10-2011
Registered!!

Oh yeah, and thanks guys for your posts! It helps to hear about any issues. I talked with the local import shop and they said the same thing about the tranny. Sounds like as long as they are maintained they'll last.
Old 02-10-2011
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

If it does fail a manual swap comes to mind
Old 02-10-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by tbohar
If it does fail a manual swap comes to mind
Haha, I'd love to, but being paralyzed I need the auto coupe. Otherwise, an auto wouldn't even be a consideration for me.
Old 02-10-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Ahh Yes when medical issues get in the way auto is the way to go! When you get the car post some pics!
Old 02-10-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

hunh.
I just guess that he modified without minding the money/return.
AEM Cam Gear (does nothing on a single head cam)
AEM Pulleys (does not help much in our small engines)
Crower Street Cam (ask him which stage - if he says street, likely it's a stage 1 cam - note crower is one of best)
Crower Springs
Crower Retainers
the 2 above are needed only for the stage 2 or 3, which are high-rev cams, which got me suspicious if he put a stage 2 or 3 - if these are in the car, you might need a EMS to change the fuel map - ask the guy which cam he put in it.
See here:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ning-rich.html
Old 02-10-2011
Registered!!

The guy definitely isn't the most technical with his car knowledge. The one good sign is that he didn't buy eBay crap to put on it. Probably had more to do with the magazine ads or articles (AEM parts). It is a Crower stage 1 cam. He said he put the springs and retainers in it because he wanted to make sure he didn't cheap out on it when doing the ported head and stuff. I'm 99% sure I'll be buying it tonight when I meet up with him again. I'm also half tempted to put all the stock stuff back on it since I'm more in it for the fuel mileage. Really though, if tuned right it shouldn't get much worse gas mileage than stock, if any.
Old 02-10-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

yes, you certainly could keep at least the cams. more power and torque lets you throttle less for same acceleration. stage 1 are right on from what i hear from owners.
Old 02-11-2011
Registered!!

Steven21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MindBomber
All the parts listed are mid-range quality, far from the best, but definitely not ebay knock-offs that you need to be concerned with causing reliability issues.

The part I would be extremely concerned with is the automatic transmission, Honda automatics have had reliability issues on a number of models in that period. If you notice any sign up slipping at all on cold fluid, then the trans is most definitely on the way out.
I thought 7th gen was when the real issues arose in the early models 01 and 02. Id say the transmission shouldnt be an issue but to still do a check up on it
Old 02-11-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steven21
I thought 7th gen was when the real issues arose in the early models 01 and 02. Id say the transmission shouldnt be an issue but to still do a check up on it
5th gen preludes, 6th gen civics, 6th gen accords, 7th gen civics, 7th gen accords and I believe CRVs as well all have major transmission problems. I have a friend with a modified accord, all electrical and cosmetic stuff so next extra strain on the drive train and he's had three rebuilds done on his automatic.

The issue isn't specific to the 7th gen civics, because the parts that have caused the problems were universal. The type of plastic Honda was using for O-rings and gaskets in that era are an example of a major engineering failure that spanned every Acura and Honda model.
Old 02-11-2011
Registered!!

That's good info to know. I'll definitely get the fluid done on it asap just to make sure it's fresh. He did it at just under 60k so it's not too old, but I want to start fresh with all the tune-up stuff.
Old 02-11-2011
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

that sounds like alot of P&P for an NA car. anyone know if it will hurt fuel economy or power?
Old 02-14-2011
Registered!!

I just have a couple pics of it. I did take the stickers out of the windows since the picture was taken. I'm going to look for some wheels to replace those little guys.
Name:  db0d38ee39b5814158105ab964e59c80.png
Views: 84
Size:  1.44 MB
Name:  8abff1d5b6702a951ef726436a29a712.png
Views: 71
Size:  1.57 MB
Old 02-14-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by mac25
that sounds like alot of P&P for an NA car. anyone know if it will hurt fuel economy or power?
Port and polish improves high end power, but might hurt low end torque. Maybe the exhaust as well, though might work well in conjunction with the stage1. the others with the exception of cam gear and pulleys might improve the power and torque, so could improve gas mileage if one does not throttle too much
Old 02-14-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Wow!
It definitely doesn't show how nice an engine is has from outside, I like the red colour scheme.

BoostedFalcon, would you like to have this thread merged with your build thread?
Old 02-14-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Obviously cared for ( I thought I posted here already but I guess I didn't or it got lost in the system )... Nice car!
Old 02-14-2011
Registered!!

Thanks guys!
MindBomber- I don't think I have a build thread yet. I probably won't really need one since I don't plan to do too much to this car besides wheels and springs or coilovers.
Old 02-17-2011
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

ya that's a tight engine!