Bolt-on Engine Performance Modifications Intake, header, exhaust, flywheel, pulley and other bolt on information and questions belong here.

Cold air intake? Dual exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G_ROBB89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Cold air intake? Dual exhaust?

New owner of a 2004 EX, V-TEC, 1.8L, 4 cylinder, manual

I average 40 mpg city as it is, but I have heard that cold air intake can dramatically increase mpg, is this true? I have also heard dual exhaust is a lot better for engine performance and engine life? I have not done any research into either of these or the cost to have the work done, but I am willing to spend the money as to increase fuel efficiency and vehicle life span, based on your experiences WOULD THESE UPGRADES BE COST EFFICIENT? I am currently at 94,000 and would like my civic to still be my primary vehicle at 250,000...if possible!

Also, recently changed the oil and used synthetic oil, does anybody know if synthetic is actually that much better for the engine than regular?!
Old 08-09-2012
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Cold air intake? Dual exhaust?

No the intake wont dramatically increase your mpg. A dual exhaust is for a v shaped motor with two exhaust banks. If you manage to find a dual exhaust somewhere don't buy it....its rice. If you want to save gas, changing the way you drive will make the biggest impact. along with removing unnecessary weight and following semis too close lol.
Old 08-09-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

A cold air usually decreases mpg cause the charge of air is colder. A short ram intake takes the hot air from the engine bay which fools the engine into using less gas. A friend of mine had a cold air on his 4 runner and he said his mpg went up. I have one on my 01 and I didnt see an improvement. 40mpg is already great for city driving in a 7th gen. If you want more get a Insight, or CRX. Make sure air filter and plugs are good, and o2 sensors. These will hurt your mpg's if there bad, dirty or worn. A duel exhaust on a civic will do nothing (if it did I'm sure Honda would use it). Maybe on a 370z it helps with something but I don't know. All oil is tested to the same standards so it all has the same stuff basically. Each company just has it's own additives to make there particular formula. I like synthetic cause it lasts longer and has better wear properties.
Old 08-10-2012
Registered!!

G_ROBB89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks you guys for the help, very knowledgeable.
Old 10-04-2012
Registered!!

Emitor is an unknown quantity at this point

"and following semis too close lol"

hahahaha