Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Cvt fill plug [solved]

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steve Bachman is an unknown quantity at this point
Cvt fill plug [solved]

3 or 4 times in the last 20k miles or so, my cvt fill plug has popped out and was laying on top of transmission. Im assuming it building up pressure but not sure if there is a vent that may be clogged? What would cause it to pop out? I do the drain and refill service every 30k
The following users liked this post:
Fawalley (11-10-2020)
Old 03-15-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
re: Cvt fill plug [solved]

I've heard they do it.
I haven't heard of a real fix yet.

Check if the trans vent tube cap has become plugged?
Old 03-15-2018
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

On my 05 the AT dipstick fit very loosely in place....then, member gearbox posted about a new design & part # for the dipstick. Fit much better.

Check Honda parts sites and look for part # changes to see if improvements have been made.
Old 03-31-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jimbo64 is an unknown quantity at this point

I’m having the same problem with my fill plug popping out. Does anyone know if this plug is supposed to have O rings to keep it snug ? I had a drain and fill when I found it sitting near the battery because there’s no way of checking the level . The mechanic said the plug looked fine, however it popped out again.
Old 03-31-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

The vent may be clogged and pressure is building up and then popping the plug
Old 04-01-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
The vent may be clogged and pressure is building up and then popping the plug
Thanks, would you be able to tell me where the vent is located? Is it accessible through the engine conpartment ?
Old 04-01-2019

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

look for a black plastic cap somewhere on top of the trans
Old 04-01-2019
Registered!!

Thanks for your help . 🙂
Old 04-01-2019

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jimbo64
Thanks, would you be able to tell me where the vent is located? Is it accessible through the engine conpartment ?
Would be helpful if we knew specifics about your particular car
Old 04-01-2019
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Rastan13 is an unknown quantity at this point

The fill plug came off twice by itself. The last time was after merging into traffic with fast acceleration.

The vent plug after removing it. Cleaned it next.

The vent tube
The same thing happened to my 2015 Civic EX-L. I found the vent cap completely clogged. I cleaned it out and hopefully this resolves the problem.
Old 04-01-2019
Registered!!

Thank you very much. I will let you know how I do .
Old 04-07-2019
Registered!!

I went about a week. Five hundred mikes and the plug stayed in . Last night it popped again so I found the plug and ran a small ty rap through the plug and the vent cap to clear any clogs. I’m going to see what happens . Thanks again .
Old 12-11-2019
Registered!!

rayscdn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jimbo64
I went about a week. Five hundred mikes and the plug stayed in . Last night it popped again so I found the plug and ran a small ty rap through the plug and the vent cap to clear any clogs. I’m going to see what happens . Thanks again .
can you point me out where is the breather is located?
Old 12-11-2019

There's a picture like 5 posts up...
Old 03-09-2020
Registered!!

Brian Hofstra is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 120000 miles on my civic LX. Have had it serviced at the Honda dealer for every oil change. Never did the transmission service. A month ago my son was driving it and called and said it wouldn't move... Opened up in hood and found the transmission plug had popped out and oil everywhere. Now the transmission is ruined and the dealer and Honda customer service won't do a thing. I'm beyond frustrated
Old 03-09-2020
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Rastan13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry re: Cvt fill plug [solved]

Originally Posted by Brian Hofstra
I have a 120000 miles on my civic LX. Have had it serviced at the Honda dealer for every oil change. Never did the transmission service. A month ago my son was driving it and called and said it wouldn't move... Opened up in hood and found the transmission plug had popped out and oil everywhere. Now the transmission is ruined and the dealer and Honda customer service won't do a thing. I'm beyond frustrated

Seems like the 2013 - 2015 models have this problem. I used a tie wrap to keep mine from jumping out and I keep the breather cap clean.

Last edited by Rastan13; 03-09-2020 at 05:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rastan13:
Colin42 (03-09-2020), Jasper60103 (02-25-2021)
Old 10-09-2020
Registered!!

Nikki Harmon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brian Hofstra

i zip tied mine down and it blow transmission fluid out underneath it
Old 11-09-2020
Registered!!

Fawalley is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All. Just where exactly if you're standing at the front of the car looking down at the fill plug is the vent plug? Thinking of doing a fluid and filter change in a day or two and want to clean it out but I can't see it. Thanks all.
Old 11-09-2020

Originally Posted by Fawalley
Hi All. Just where exactly if you're standing at the front of the car looking down at the fill plug is the vent plug? Thinking of doing a fluid and filter change in a day or two and want to clean it out but I can't see it. Thanks all.
look below the radiator hose fitting
The following users liked this post:
Fawalley (11-10-2020)
Old 11-10-2020
Registered!!

Fawalley is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Thank You. There were so many places it could have been. Yes, it was plugged. I cleaned it out and turned it to face at a 2 o'clock position rather than the 6 or facing the radiator which it was. Did a small video which I'll post later.
Thanks again.
Old 12-27-2021
Registered!!

SFTom1251 is an unknown quantity at this point

My transmisdion Fill plug Popped out without it being touched by anyone. Had car towed 57 miles home and then to 3 different shops. Extended warranty folks are balking by saying I drove it without tranny fluid (IDIDN’T—I stopped car at first sign of trouble and had it towed home), or that shop looking at the first time put the wrong fluid in it (THEY DIDN’T), and that a rock i hit on the highway created a hole in tranny pan( IT DIDN’T—thought this might be correct but inspection revealed no hole on far passenger side. All the fluid showing was from drivers side from around fill hole where plug was dislodged).
Honda says I need new tranny at $8500. Extended warranty people have a listed of excuses—all wrong thus far.

This is a base model 2016 Civic with 130K. Any suggestions on how to proceed with Honda and the extended warranty bandits? I’m gonna try a few more reasonable responses before I go to Court (where I’ll likely prevail I’m plaintiff-friendly Northern California) but want to avoid that for many reasons.
Old 02-17-2022
Registered!!

Cesare is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Cvt fill plug [solved]

Originally Posted by ezone
I have more than one radiator hose. I've looked sal over and can't find the vent screen. Could you be as specific as possible, please?

Mine is a 2015 Honda Civic
Old 02-17-2022

Post 10 has photos
Old 02-17-2022
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Cesare
I have more than one radiator hose. I've looked sal over and can't find the vent screen. Could you be as specific as possible, please?

Mine is a 2015 Honda Civic
this thread is for 10th generation cars.
2015 is a 9th gen car.
not sure if they changed designs or not