Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'98 HX with CVT, 104k mi... bad buy due to CVT probably not having much life left?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ridethelighting is an unknown quantity at this point
'98 HX with CVT, 104k mi... bad buy due to CVT probably not having much life left?

Got it on eBay and ordered an inspection report which says it started in 2nd gear and seemd sluggish and like it had little power, which the 2nd gear thing doesn't make sense with the CVT but maybe the inspector just didn't know much or anything about CVT's or Hondas. From my research, a tired CVT will jerk some when you start accelerating and the car will lose power. I've also discovered that a CVT will usually not last very long, I initially assumed 104k miles wasn't much at all but I was thinking of a normal transmission. If I decide to go up to where it is (8 hours away) I'll definitely get it professionally inspected by a real mechanic (the one I got was a very cheap, basic one which is wrong on several things). The things is, now even if the transmission may still be working and operable at the moment, I'm afraid it will go out soon or even a while down the road still, but there's simply no way I can afford that, even a normal transmission costs a lot to repair. I'm sort of in a dilemma now. I have until tomorrow to pay the deposit on the car so I need to make up my mind if I even want to try going through with this or just give up because of the short lifespan of a CVT.

Do you think I should buy this car or not with the possibility of that failure always present?

I don't have maintenance records or know how it was maintained, but it is very clean and looks like it was well taken care of. Two owners, the first drove it an average of only 6,000 miles a year and the second averaged 14,000 a year, judging by the history report. The seller has 100% positive feedback with 273 sales in the car business and claims the transmission is fine, he's personally driven it over 500 miles. I don't actually know that this is the first transmission, I can ask but IDK if he'd know, I'm guessing it is though.