General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Need Tips For Driving Auto

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2001
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unstoppable is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm only 18...and this is my first car. There is a lot I want to learn about driving and this seems like the right place. Ok I have an auto, and I'm starting to get the feel of when the V-Tech kicks in and stuff. I'm tired of getting beaten by crapboxes because I don't know how to use my car to its full potential. A couple of friends have told me to start in D3 and go up to D4. I really don't know what is down shifting and up shifting is. Can someone explain it to me? Will it cause damage to my engine if I don't do it properly? Also, I was wondering, is racing your car a lot really bad for your engine? I know it diminshes the life of the engine.

7200 Km since July ) =
Old 11-07-2001
Registered!!

Jochij is an unknown quantity at this point
First of all please do a search this has been discussed millions of time and there is plenty of info on it. Second if u didn't want to get beat off the line and race ur car then why get an auto??? I got an auto cuz i don't like shifting while in traffic and city driving. Should have thought about a couple things before you bought the car. well anywayz do a search and you will find more than enough info than you need.
Old 11-07-2001
Registered!!

ScottieEX is an unknown quantity at this point
to race in auto: at the stop, put transmission in D, put ur left leg on the brake, hold it tight, put right leg lightly on accelerator .. rev to 2-3k rpms, at green, release brake and floor it.. that gives you the best launch but will wear down brakes bad if u do it too often
Old 11-07-2001
Registered!!

pogi2k1ex is an unknown quantity at this point
ok...i would recommend you take your car to the track and get to know it better,,,a lot of accidents happen cause people do not know their capabilities and their cars....i know it's hard by try not to race on the street.....very dangerous.....i almost wrecked last night and i wasn't even racing took a sharp on ramp very fast (which i've done before w/ no problem, i think there was a little moisture on the roads that night) well basically I fishtailed 3 times in different directions, first to the left, then to the right, then back to the left, till i finally gained full control of it....if i didn't get control, well the on ramp is on a small hill...big enuff to roll your car a few times if you went over....

anytime u race it puts a strain on your engine...

but if you really wanna race do this....

throw car in D2, redline it,,,, throw it in D3, redline it,,,,throw it in D4.........
this will help slightly.

another thing if you drive your car hard,,,,i'd suggest changing your oil to synthetic 5w30 or atleast change it every 3000 miles.
Old 11-07-2001
** yourinmyw0rld is my MASTER. so to bad guys!!!

Handsonme has a spectacular aura aboutHandsonme has a spectacular aura about
It puts strain, yeah, pogi's the master of auto racing.
Old 11-07-2001
Registered!!

NeoMagus is an unknown quantity at this point
???? First of all its VTEC. Second, if you really wanted to race why didnt you buy a stick?? Your not gonna be beatin very many ppl in an Auto unless you put some Nitrous in your car otherwise you better stick to makin the car look good.

Also Pogi is wrong do not start in 2 or you will start in 2nd gear and bypass 1st altogether. I know because I have done it and looked like an ***. Start in D or D3 to get past 1st gear then shift into 2. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-07-2001
Registered!!

Unstoppable is an unknown quantity at this point
i didn't get stick b/c i don't know how and I know no one that knows how to drive stick. At the same time, I do want to race.

What do the terms downshift and upshift means? I know its related to going to a gear lower so that you can redline it and than you push it back up to gain speed or something like that. Can I get more insight?

What gears can I go to from d2 and d3?
Old 11-07-2001
Registered!!

NeoMagus is an unknown quantity at this point
dude if you dont know that much dont try and do it, or youll mess up your tranny. Just push the pedal to the floor and hope youll beat the other guy.
Old 11-07-2001
Registered!!

StLVtec is an unknown quantity at this point
lol Neo, he is right u shouldnt of bought the auto to do some racing , im sure someone knows how to drive a stick a friend or a friend of a friend or someone. throws some nitrious on it.
Old 11-07-2001
Registered!!

CivicEX2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yea, i got an auto too, but a 4dr. Downshifting is when u are in D4 and you pull the gear selector to D3 while you are driving, u'll see the engine's rpms go higher because you are accereating faster. When you go from D3 to D4 that is called shifitng up and that will lower your engine rpms and give you better gas milage. Drive in D4 to save gas. the valve timing system on our cars is called VTEC, not V-tech.... just clearifing this since some people get made at this misconception (i was once a newbie too). As for racing, SCOTTIEEX knows what he's talkin about. You asked if racing or driving hard is bad for cars... HELL yeah it is (our manuels expictly tell us NOT to) , but that is what the 3 year warrenty is for. Downshifting and shfiting up too much is NOT good for the car, i try not to do it too much. NEVER NEUTRAL DROP!!! if you've got more auto questions email me or private message me homes[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]
1)left foot hard on brake
2)make sure you are in gear D3
3)rev to around 3k rpm
4)realease left foot on break
5)floor the gas
6)as soon as you hear the engine shift into second, you also DOWNSHIFT to second
7)let second reach or go redline
8)shift to D3
NOTE: you do not have to let go of the gas while shifitng...
Old 11-07-2001
Registered!!

buddy is an unknown quantity at this point
nos + auto = good

Old 11-07-2001
Registered!!

2k1coupe is an unknown quantity at this point

<< [i]but if you really wanna race do this....

throw car in D2, redline it,,,, throw it in D3, redline it,,,,throw it in D4.........
this will help slightly.

<< [i]

This won't help. Leave it in d4 always unless you need engine braking, or are going around a corner and want the tranny to hold a gear