Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Instrument cluster and radio died mid-driving.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trellex is an unknown quantity at this point
Instrument cluster and radio died mid-driving.

I'm sorry if this should be in electrical, but I hope maybe someone where could guide me in the right direction.

I was doing errands, with only about 5 stops on the check list, but all of them are a few 30-40-50 kilometers away from each other (Canada, sorry, eh?).

After the first stop, I noticed my battery light came on for a few minutes, then turned off. This happens every once and a while for about 20 minutes while driving.

I reach my second destination, do my errand, then leave, again, battery light comes on then goes away then comes back.

As I'm pulling up to my third stop, my music dies out. I then look at my instrument cluster, and everything just dies out, but mechanically, the car is working - lights, turn signal, power steering, brakes are working.

I have a mini-panic attack, and decide to not turn off my car, in the fear that I might not get it home. As I'm driving home, everything remains dead as described before, except the odd time the instrument cluster turns back on, but not the radio.

As I'm arriving home, after 30 minutes of driving under intense stress, the check engine light comes on.

I park my car in the garage, turn it off. I let it sit for a while, and try to turn it back on, I figured it wouldn't, and it didn't.

Anybody know what happen? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS: Just some extra info on the car - Manual, 2002, no A/C

Last edited by trellex; 05-15-2015 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Edit: More information
Old 05-15-2015
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Instrument cluster and radio died mid-driving.

Check the fuses.
Old 05-15-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

the check engine light comes on.
And the code is.....?

The rest of it.....maybe the alternator is dying, maybe the alternator belt is loose and slipping, maybe the alternator bolts were left loose and it's trying to fry the ECM. Needs further checking IMO.
Old 05-22-2015
Registered!!

The error code is P0325 - engine knock. It's the only error code and how does that affect my electrical just shutting off mid drive?

Also, I left the car sitting for a few days while I waited to get my OBD2 scan tool, I fired it up yesterday, and the started. I let it sit for a few minutes and everything seems to be as usual except the engine light is on.

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-22-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trellex
The error code is P0325 - engine knock. It's the only error code and how does that affect my electrical just shutting off mid drive?
No, I don't think the code would be a cause but it could be a result, as in caused by the voltage/charging events.
IDK, I don't have enough info.

Got freeze frame data to go along with the fault code? That might give more clues if it would tell system voltage at the time the code set, or any other odd readings recorded in the data set.

Also, I left the car sitting for a few days while I waited to get my OBD2 scan tool, I fired it up yesterday, and the started. I let it sit for a few minutes and everything seems to be as usual except the engine light is on.

Thanks for the help!
See above about FF data, post it if possible.

Go double check that all of the alternator mounting bolts are tight on the engine and bracket, as this is a common problem that can fry the PCM ($$$$) and cause all sorts of electrical issues in the process.

Erase the code. Run the engine. See if the code returns right away.

Monitor system voltage while driving (I'd use a real voltmeter on the battery, along with my scanner data), see if it is staying within normal ranges while driving.

HTH
Old 05-24-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Go double check that all of the alternator mounting bolts are tight on the engine and bracket, as this is a common problem that can fry the PCM ($$$$) and cause all sorts of electrical issues in the process.

Erase the code. Run the engine. See if the code returns right away.

Monitor system voltage while driving (I'd use a real voltmeter on the battery, along with my scanner data), see if it is staying within normal ranges while driving.
Thank you for the info. I'll get the data, check what you mentioned, and I'll get back to you. Cheers!!