Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Alternator or battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
msaeger is an unknown quantity at this point
Alternator or battery

This is a 2002 Civic EX.

I am trying to determine if I need a new alternator, battery, or both. The battery is a few years old I don't think the alternator has ever been replaced. The belt was replaced last summer.

Here are some symptoms.

Yesterday after having the car idle with the AC and radio on for about 30 minutes the battery was too weak to start the car and had to be jump started. This morning it started fine again.

I have noticed sometimes the 50 watt inverter I have plugged into the 12V socket would not come on.

Sometimes when I start the car I have had the trip odometer and the radio reset.

I have not noticed the lights dimming.

Any input would be great!
Old 09-01-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Alternator or battery

I am trying to determine if I need a new alternator, battery, or both.
Test the battery.
Test the alternator.
Check the alternator belt tension and condition.

Test the car for excessive drain when the car is off.

I have noticed sometimes the 50 watt inverter I have plugged into the 12V socket would not come on.
Separate issue, not really relevant to the other items.
Old 09-02-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

normally if your alternator is bad/weak the battery light will be on while the engine is running.....is it?
Old 09-02-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikey1
normally if your alternator is bad/weak the battery light will be on while the engine is running.....is it?
FYI that doesn't always happen even when it is bad.

THAT'S fun to explain to a customer.