General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

What did you do to your civic today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all
Re: What did you do to your civic today?

Originally Posted by MassCivic
I never would have if they weren't 3.50 for all four strips on eBay, lol that wouldn't go too far under the hood. Ball joints and es poly bushings are on order as well as a new oil filter and plug.

Yours is looking nice. That stereo must slam!
Yeah that is really cheap, I guess I am used to not having time to do stuff like that. I always have something to fix that is worn or broken.

Those lights are kinda ricer though and I just don't want that label. I am basically,leaving the cosmetics until the very last.

...and I haven't even turned my stereo up until distortion, it does bump harder than it did in my big old wagon that they where in.
Old 09-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MassCivic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mad Dog Tannen
Yeah that is really cheap, I guess I am used to not having time to do stuff like that. I always have something to fix that is worn or broken.

Those lights are kinda ricer though and I just don't want that label. I am basically,leaving the cosmetics until the very last.

...and I haven't even turned my stereo up until distortion, it does bump harder than it did in my big old wagon that they where in.
Lol guess I just like to ride the ricer's edge...

Have been contemplating switching to a set of smoked fogs to match my headlights though. We'll see.

Only engine mod left I really want is a stage 1 cam which is way out of my working budget right now.
Old 09-23-2015
Registered!!

tuvok is an unknown quantity at this point

yesterday and today I worked on and finished the mother of all mods..lol I converted my Climate Controls from the 96 model and upgraded from a 2000 Paid 50.00 For Everything I needed and pulled the parts myself from a friends car he was parting out. The Mod is now finished and I must say it was a pain in the rear to do..lol I swapped the Main Heater core box. I was originally gonna swap the blower box to but when I got a look at what was already on the car vs. what I had to swap In I decided to swap the resistor and the relay onto the box already on the car...was in much better shape also installed my reverse indiglo gauges they sent me ones for a automatic and mines a manual which irritated me but I believe I have fixed that issue to my likeing...lol everything has been tested and functions as designed. now I can start looking at in dash dvd players . heres a few pics of the surgery
Old 09-23-2015
Registered!!

tuvok is an unknown quantity at this point

a few days prior to my climate conversion I installed a trunk lid with wing and put my sohc vtec vinal on the quarter panel

Old 09-25-2015
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Picked up a new DC Sports 4-2-1 Header (HHR5019)on eBay, for $200/shipped. Couldn't pass that up. Cheapest I've seen was $325 at THM. Normally runs $350 to $400. Gonna get it titanum ceramic coated next week. DC's coating is garbage. Titanum finish is rated at 2000 Degrees Fahrenheit.

Old 09-28-2015
Registered!!

Installed new moog ball joints, front swaybar end links and energy suspension lca bushings. Also did an oil change while I was at it. Rides better than ever, just need to get my alignment checked out.
Old 09-29-2015
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Finally took her into the dealership to take care of three outstanding safety recalls, with a free inspection and car wash included. When I left, I had an overheating problem; the needle was not in the same place it's rested for the almost eight years I've had the car, and it was rising fast. Temps that normally maxed at 97 C reached 125 C before I quickly turned it off to avoid damage. When I opened the hood, the reservoir was totally filled. Weird. When I took it back to the dealer (I didn't go far, but I had to pull into a few parking lots to cool down on the way back), they said I was 1/2 quart low in the radiator and refilled it.
Now everything is fine, but I'm still monitoring Torque and my temp gauge like a hawk on Adderall. Maybe it was a coincidence, but it definitely tingled my spider-sense. I've never seen my car heat up like that, and I never want to again.
Old 09-29-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poopies
Finally took her into the dealership ......
with a free inspection ......

I had an overheating problem......
the reservoir was totally filled. .....
1/2 quart low in the radiator
I suppose your copy of the checklist has the appropriate green box checked?
Fluid levels are supposed to be checked during the "free inspection"......

Not all mechanics out there would know what the overfilled reservoir may indicate, even if they did notice it..

Best prepare yourself now. You know what's coming.
Old 10-01-2015
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Just finished doing a full detailing...wash, wax, windows, vacuum, auto glym the interior/exterior plastic and rubber, fabreeze the carpets.

It gets harder and harder to make this almost 17 year old Civic look good... but it still shines up pretty well if you ask me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	interior1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	88158   Click image for larger version

Name:	exterior2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	88159   Click image for larger version

Name:	exterior1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	88160  
Old 10-02-2015
Registered!!

I drove her and had the alternator bolt shear off. Quite odd, got towed home ordered parts and I'll be at it tomorrow...
Old 10-04-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MassCivic
I drove her and had the alternator bolt shear off. Quite odd, got towed home ordered parts and I'll be at it tomorrow...
Got everything buttoned back up and fired her up only to discover the ECU was fried during the incident. CEL on, immobilizer key flashing, runs like a dying diesel tractor. Pulled the ecu and ordered a replacement with ignition and key from eBay. Wish me luck!!
Old 10-10-2015
Super Moderator

Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone
Best prepare yourself now. You know what's coming.
I took it to a reputable (i.e. 5-star-rated) import shop, fully prepared to bite the bullet on a new head gasket and (God forbid) a trip to the machine shop. One day and $0.00 later, I got it back. They said the block and compression tests came up negative. I just did a combustion test on my own and, sure enough, it came up negative too! This saves me some money to do cooling system maintenance (i.e. coolant reservoir, thermostat, tubing, flush) at a fraction of the cost. My temp gauge has been behaving ever since the incident last week, so I hope it was just a fluke!
Old 10-10-2015
Registered!!

ZoSoIV is an unknown quantity at this point

got the Motor Mount fix 44.08 for the Motor Mount and 45.00 labor to install it , sure beat 400.00 plus dollars at the Stealership !
Old 10-10-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

so I hope it was just a fluke!
Keep your eyes open and give it plenty of time (and miles), what you saw doesn't happen without a reason....
Old 10-11-2015
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ezone
Keep your eyes open and give it plenty of time (and miles), what you saw doesn't happen without a reason....
I definitely agree and while I hope it was just some mechanic who made a mistake (not all of them are ezones), I'll continue to watch the temp gauge like I have been doing. I'm making a long drive into the mountains and back this week, so hopefully nothing untoward happens!
Old 10-11-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

I definitely agree and while I hope it was just some mechanic who made a mistake (not all of them are ezones), I'll continue to watch the temp gauge like I have been doing. I'm making a long drive into the mountains and back this week, so hopefully nothing untoward happens!
Get a scan gauge? Way more reliable than stock temp gauge...
Old 10-11-2015
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
Get a scan gauge? Way more reliable than stock temp gauge...
I WAS using Torque Pro when I detected the problem initially. Now I have the stupid Progressive dongle plugged into my OBDII for the next 6 months so I can save me a little $$. The scanner was good for detecting the problem before the needle started moving, but I'm confident that I can act quickly enough to pull over before it tops out in an overheat situation.
Old 10-11-2015

but I'm confident that I can act quickly enough to pull over before it tops out in an overheat situation.
Keep in mind the gauge needle is buffered.......there's something like a 50 degree range that has the needle standing in the middle of the gauge. Once outside that 'window' is when the needle starts moving again.
Old 10-12-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

I am starting to be scared...

My civic have been pulling insane numbers... Maybe it's engine is trying to go in style and about to implode soon.

Otherwise, i am not believing myself it is doing this in a normal 9 mile HWY, 4-5 miles two lane 45MPH roads and some slower roads here and there...

Name:  20151007_062728_zpsw39kcoc0.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  110.0 KB

Name:  20151008_131656_zpseayczqqe.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  239.3 KB

Name:  20151008_135913_zpssyorjokm.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  261.5 KB

Name:  20151012_161753_zpst4bstzwb.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  261.2 KB
Old 10-12-2015
Registered!!

Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

My civic have been pulling insane numbers... Maybe it's engine is trying to go in style and about to implode soon.

Otherwise, i am not believing myself it is doing this in a normal 9 mile HWY, 4-5 miles two lane 45MPH roads and some slower roads here and there...
Sounds about right, slow enough to avoid substantial wind resistance, but fast enough to be in high gear at low rpm's. Around 45-55mph is usually where most cars get best mileage.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 10-13-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-12-2015
Super Moderator

Wow, I could only see numbers like that after I LEFT Tennessee!

BTW my baby made it up to the mountains just fine yesterday. The only problem I had was stupid drivers not wanting to drive 80mph and pulling in front of me in the fast lane, causing me to do a lot of hard brakes, causing my snapshot dongle to beep at me the whole time. Damn my upgraded braking ability!

Last edited by Poopies; 10-12-2015 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-13-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Otherwise, i am not believing myself it is doing this in a normal 9 mile HWY, 4-5 miles two lane 45MPH roads and some slower roads here and there.
It must think it is a 6th gen. Keeping it under 55 makes a big difference. I can get the Fit over 40mpg if I can keep the speed low.

Wow, I could only see numbers like that after I LEFT Tennessee!
Wait! You are in AZ now! I just noticed your location changed.

The only problem I had was stupid drivers not wanting to drive 80mph
Your dongle was ok with 80mph :-)
Old 10-13-2015

No wonder he was quiet for a while.
Old 10-13-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
It must think it is a 6th gen. Keeping it under 55 makes a big difference. I can get the Fit over 40mpg if I can keep the speed low.

Your dongle was ok with 80mph :-)
lol my 4600b Volvo could get about 35mpg on the highway cruising at 55.

However if I went 80 it would go down to about 21 mpg, even 65 got about 25 mpg.
Old 10-13-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Sounds about right, slow enough to avoid substantial wind resistance, but fast enough to be in high gear at low rpm's. Around 45-55mph is usually where most cars get best mileage.
no, most of it is on the HWY, sometimes at 60-65, sometimes at 75-80... that's why i am scared it will implode soon

my best ever was coming back from canada, full of my stuff inside (heavy as hell, AKA if it's moving, it don't want to stop! ) - at around 60-65 up north, it was at 44MPH.

since then, only changes are the new headgasket, and the crower stage 1 cam. but now it's doing this numbers in the normal daily commute, so be prepared to hear me say that all the carbon deosits shoot the compression sky high and it is knocking like there's no tomorrow

jokes aside, not sure how it is doing this, at 60-80 MPH... I do lift the throttle going downhill, or sometimes if traffic is fine, no cars behind, i simply put in neutral for maybe 1-2 miles, just gearing when the speed goes too low (70 MPH) - yeah, don't try this with cars behind you - I get upset with cars changing speed all the time...

Last edited by sdaidoji; 10-13-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-13-2015
Registered!!

no, most of it is on the HWY, sometimes at 60-65, sometimes at 75-80...
Well, then don't lie...

Old 10-13-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

The only problem I had was stupid drivers not wanting to drive 80mph and pulling in front of me in the fast lane
Did you feel back in TN?

Damn my upgraded braking ability!
glad to hear your rear disks are doing OK now
Old 10-13-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Well, then don't lie...
sorry, I meant 9 miles as distance, on a HWY 70MPH posted limit :P

HWY around here are all either 65 or 70 MPH limit

Ah, in the mean time, that means I am not lying. Also, the actual circumstances are worse, not favorable to have it reach these mileage.

So calling it a lie... don't hold water. watch your mouth, please. when you talk to other members as well. there's no need for that.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 10-13-2015 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-13-2015
Registered!!

Star1967 will become famous soon enough

Replaced the window motor. What is a good price for a good used VTEC?
Old 10-14-2015
Registered!!

sorry, I meant 9 miles as distance, on a HWY 70MPH posted limit :P

HWY around here are all either 65 or 70 MPH limit

Ah, in the mean time, that means I am not lying. Also, the actual circumstances are worse, not favorable to have it reach these mileage.

So calling it a lie... don't hold water. watch your mouth, please. when you talk to other members as well. there's no need for that.
You told false information and then tried to call me out on it. So yes, you lied and now you are a hypocrite too.

That does seem quite high, what is that computer that you use? Maybe that is not very accurate? What have you done to improve your mileage if anything?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your civic today?