General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Gas Saving Tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-03-2006
Crayons taste like purple...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Eclectic
K&N offers typhoon in cold air and short ram versions right? i'm assuming you are talking about typhoon sri?

thanks man
yes thats K&N.
Old 02-03-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
ya the short ram. the cold air doesn't fit autos and dangerous anyway with water.
Old 02-03-2006
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
it really doesnt matter too much if you add an intake and add moderatly sized wheels (15-17 inches) becuase driving for 20 miles at a gentler pace will offset any difference from those mods. the best way to save gas is to use less of it yourself. mods dont affect that much unless you add something like a turbo or 10" wheels. even then drive normal and you should be ok!
Old 02-27-2006
Registered!!

dadawads is an unknown quantity at this point
Here's a thought: If you have any K & N type filter (AEM, and many others) with wire mesh and cotton inside, use the K & N recharger kit. I'd say to do it at bare minimum once a year. These filters get feelthy over time, and you could be undoing whatever benefit you got from your intake in the first place.

Dadawads
Old 02-27-2006
Registered!!

xvi3tboi69x is an unknown quantity at this point
does switching from plus or premiun to regular actually help? doesnt regular ruin your car? jw ty
Old 02-27-2006
Registered!!

Curiouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really nice
keep it at 89...
Old 02-27-2006
Red Hot Chili Peppers....bitch

RHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by xvi3tboi69x
does switching from plus or premiun to regular actually help? doesnt regular ruin your car? jw ty
na it doesnt do anything for our cars, our car is designed for regular gas and thats what you should be putting in, you wont get any power gains or notice any difference if you put in premium
Old 02-28-2006

ncirom2003 will become famous soon enough
thats correct, listen to him. no power gains for higher octane and car will work same on either
Old 02-28-2006
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
when i ran premium i got 20mpg vs regular at 40mpg
Old 03-01-2006
Registered!!

Sanchothepanda is an unknown quantity at this point
-the radio is run off you battery, its independent of the motor so it doesn't affect your engine.

-Fuel cleaner will show minimal gains if any unless your car has massive gunkage in which case you should get a tuneup.

-Increasing tire pressure moves the wear around, it doesn't decrease it. Increasing the pressure moves wear to the center of the tire, and most cars suggest running the psi at @ 32 anyways. Check on your tire for the max pressure but you should be fine running at 40psi. The idea behind this is that the increased pressure stiffens up the tire decreasing rolling resistance but also decreasing traction and handling.

-Hybrids get away with shutting off the engine at stops because they use an electric motor to get moving. When they go to "start" the motor all they have to do is add fuel and spark as the gas engine is already being turned over by the wheels which are/were turned over by the electric motor.

-Gassing up in the morning or evening will not get you "denser" fuel. The gas is stored in underground tanks and as anyone will tell you the temperature in the ground is much more constant than the air above it, therefore you will see little if any fluctuation in gasoline temperature.

Also, most cars nowadays cut fuel when the car is engine braking. If you just leave it in gear coasting down a hill there's no need to shut off the engine as the computer has already stopped delivering fuel to the engine for you.

Last edited by Sanchothepanda; 03-01-2006 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-01-2006
balatuba

Buwisit is an unknown quantity at this point
why is it i get only 23-25mpg? my mods are only aem v2 and magnaflow exhaust and 17" wheels, i drive most on freeways and at most 60-80 miles
Old 03-01-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
get some lubecontrol.com products to raise mpg alot.
Old 03-02-2006
Registered!!

dariusld is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Sanchothepanda
- If you just leave it in gear coasting down a hill there's no need to shut off the engine as the computer has already stopped delivering fuel to the engine for you.
Can you explain how you coast in gear, my car doesn't do it.
Old 03-02-2006
Premium Member

take your foot off the gas?
Old 03-02-2006
Registered!!

legend921 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Sanchothepanda
-the radio is run off you battery, its independent of the motor so it doesn't affect your engine.

-Fuel cleaner will show minimal gains if any unless your car has massive gunkage in which case you should get a tuneup.

-Increasing tire pressure moves the wear around, it doesn't decrease it. Increasing the pressure moves wear to the center of the tire, and most cars suggest running the psi at @ 32 anyways. Check on your tire for the max pressure but you should be fine running at 40psi. The idea behind this is that the increased pressure stiffens up the tire decreasing rolling resistance but also decreasing traction and handling.

-Hybrids get away with shutting off the engine at stops because they use an electric motor to get moving. When they go to "start" the motor all they have to do is add fuel and spark as the gas engine is already being turned over by the wheels which are/were turned over by the electric motor.

-Gassing up in the morning or evening will not get you "denser" fuel. The gas is stored in underground tanks and as anyone will tell you the temperature in the ground is much more constant than the air above it, therefore you will see little if any fluctuation in gasoline temperature.

Also, most cars nowadays cut fuel when the car is engine braking. If you just leave it in gear coasting down a hill there's no need to shut off the engine as the computer has already stopped delivering fuel to the engine for you.
Any electrical equipment will run off the battery but there is one other thing. If you put load on the battery the car will work the alternator a bit harder to recharge that battery. To get the best gas mileage is to not use a single electric item in the car except for the neccessary items.
Old 03-02-2006
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
The engine is not directly affected by the radio being on, but it is affected by how much strain is put on the alternator. More strain on battery, more strain on alternator.

Why would'nt the cleaner make noticable gains?

Are you saying that the starter could burn up?

I thought that one of the main reasons to fill up when it is cold out is because less gas will evaporate, but I am not sure.

"During closed throttle deceleration periods from moderate to high engine speeds. fuel delivery is not necessary or desirable. To prevent excessive decel emissions and improve fuel economy, the ECM will not open the injectors under certain decel conditions. The ECM will resume fuel injection at a calculated RPM.

Referring to the graph, fuel cut-off and resumption speeds are variable depending on coolant temperature, A/C clutch status, and STA signal. Essentially, when extra engine loads are present, the ECM will begin fuel injection earlier.

Fuel Tau Cut is a mode employed on some engines during long deceleration time with the throttle valve closed. during these times, excess oxygen would enter the catalytic converter. To prevent this, the ECM will very briefly pulse the injectors."

Found this in a toyota motor sales pdf. I have no idea what it is for, but it is interesting.
Also, read this its pretty strange. They put a fuel cut off switch on the shifter.
http://www.eagle-research.com/fuelsa...a/83honda.html

I think one of the best htings you can do is buy gas from a place that is not only always busy, but gets decent gas. The freestate in my area has shitty gas that make you get really low mpg. The freestate gets pretty good business, but not as good as mobil, where most people go because the gas really is better. My friends have all tested it, so has my mom. I have always wondered why, whether it is lower octane, dirty, or old, i do not know.