General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Gas Saving Tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ironchef
you have to remember that air resistance (aerodynamic drag) increases by the square of the factor. Example, when you're going 80mph, compared to 55mph, even though you've only increased your speed by about 1.45 times, you've also increased drag by more than twice. At those high speeds, drag is a BIG factor. I've started to drive slower than usual (around 62mph or 100km/h) on the highway, and I've definitely noticed a difference. Food for thought.
add to that the huge difference in RPM, which is actually the major reason mpg is better, and yeah it makes much more sense
Old 09-01-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04civicdx is an unknown quantity at this point
i am going to buy a beach cruiser bike and ride it around town
Old 09-01-2005
Registered!!

slicksivik will become famous soon enoughslicksivik will become famous soon enough
Click here and scroll down half the way to see the video on the right on ways to save gas
Old 09-01-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
i forgot where, maybe howstuffworks.com, claims 1-2 ounces(?) of gasoline in a average automobile is burned while idling.
Old 09-01-2005
4 cyllinders are good but 5 is better!

GreatWhite02 is an unknown quantity at this point
it's actually better to fill your tank up all the way when you are low on gas. The vapor pressure inside the tank equallizes when you fill up completely rather than partially. As you probably know, gasoline expands inside your tank especially on hot days when your tank is nearly empty. My fuel gauge needle bobbled up and down alot when i used to fill up partially but now i get much better readings by filling up completely. Also anyone who can run on 87 and is still convinced 93 is better, you might as well set your wallet on fire. Premium gas does nothing for Honda Civics unless your boosted and you have to run premium. Higher octane fuel is made for high compression engines. The D17 is not a high compression engine. Even still most high output engines have a sensor that allows you to run either 87 or 93 like mine( Volvo S60 turbocharged). So why pay up to 20 cents more for nothing? Also try to buy the same type of gas on a regular basis. Don't mix Shell and Mobile or whatever. Gasoline may serve the same purpose for all cars but it is not all created equal.
Old 09-01-2005
Premium Member

dopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond repute
I dunno about others oppinions but I really dont like the idea of shutting off and restarting the car at red lights unless maybe its a really long one. I would rather spend just a bit more on gas and not have to replace my starter. The other day i was at a drive through and the lady behind me turned off and restarted her car EVERY time she moved up! It was like 5 times. I was like WTF!!!! HAHA it seemed like a little bit of overkill to me
Old 09-01-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
whoever repped me just wanted to say thanx
Old 09-02-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
since were talking about high gas prices, heres some humor:
http://www.ugoto.com/videos/how_to_b...as_prices.html
Old 09-02-2005
Registered!!

zzsupermanzz15 is on a distinguished road
i got a question, once the gas light turns on how much exact gas do u have in the tank(as in "reserve gas"). and lets say for example, the answer is 3 gallons, so u decide to push it to the limit, until u suck the tank dry. then u go to the gas station and pay for 3 gallons, once after that fill up does ur car light still stay on?

^sorry if its a dumb question, but im a noob

Last edited by zzsupermanzz15; 09-02-2005 at 02:19 AM.
Old 09-02-2005
jdmtytedoridori

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
gas light comes on when there is 2.2 gallons left in the tank.
Old 09-02-2005
Registered!!

zzsupermanzz15 is on a distinguished road
uhm, is this true?
Old 09-02-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
its around 2-3 gallons usually unless you have a bad fuel sender, then it couldbe more like 5. If you drive to complete empty, you'll suck in the last bit of very low octane gas and cause motor problems. I just wait til gas light comes on and then fill up 2 more gallons. Brings me just under the 1/2 mark.
Old 09-02-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by gearbox
fix a flat is a can of goo that ytou use to seal and fill a flat tire with air. I just have regular tires so i'm pretty sure it would work. But like I said emergency only. I doubt it would ever get used anyway cause I bring the spare on long trips.

Be careful with this.

1. once you put fix a flat in a tire, 50% of the time the valve stem has to be replace because it gets cloged with goo stuff, not expensive, but annoying.

2. I know a lady that a\had a can of that in the trunk of her black. One hot day it exploded, pushed teh back seats down, and ruined the interior of her car. The insurance estimate over $7000 in damages and totaled out the car because of a can of fix-a-flat.
Old 09-02-2005
Registered!!

nick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to behold
how do you properly clean the throttle body?
Old 09-02-2005
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
Originally Posted by nick95673
how do you properly clean the throttle body?

get some carb cleaner from autoszone...than for our cars its a little tricky since u have to take the whole intake airbox off...but if u want to go the easy way just take the airbox cover off take out the filter than on the hole which is the throttle body get a clean shop rag and spray it with carb cleaner than when ur car is off and cool, pull your throttle into the open position and use the rag with carb cleaner on it and wipe the throttle plate clean and the side walls...and the carb cleaner if u spray some down the throttle wont do anything to harm your engine since its like a laquer based thinner....and thats also how u get rid of your idle bouncing up and down like u've heard on some cars..
Old 09-02-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jrfish007
Be careful with this.

1. once you put fix a flat in a tire, 50% of the time the valve stem has to be replace because it gets cloged with goo stuff, not expensive, but annoying.

2. I know a lady that a\had a can of that in the trunk of her black. One hot day it exploded, pushed teh back seats down, and ruined the interior of her car. The insurance estimate over $7000 in damages and totaled out the car because of a can of fix-a-flat.
wow okay. out it comes. i have it in the trunk under the side carpet, but who knows what might happen. I guess in town I can always get it towed anyway.
Old 09-04-2005
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ragingSPAM
get some carb cleaner from autoszone...than for our cars its a little tricky since u have to take the whole intake airbox off...but if u want to go the easy way just take the airbox cover off take out the filter than on the hole which is the throttle body get a clean shop rag and spray it with carb cleaner than when ur car is off and cool, pull your throttle into the open position and use the rag with carb cleaner on it and wipe the throttle plate clean and the side walls...and the carb cleaner if u spray some down the throttle wont do anything to harm your engine since its like a laquer based thinner....and thats also how u get rid of your idle bouncing up and down like u've heard on some cars..

NO!!! this is why they make THROTTLE BODY CLEANER

carb cleaner is MUCH too harsh for the throttle body.... could damage the sensors inside as well
Old 09-04-2005

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Mustang5.0HO
Its not the end of the world..no one is exagerating here...anyways im talking about EVERYCAR and TRUCK..never once did I say 5.0s...and yeah Its never good for the light to turn on...****..My car doesnt have a light I have to fill it up everytime since I dont know when its running out and dont ever want it to run down to the last line..and I have a v8 so I dont get it how you guys let the light turn on...its kinda pathetic..really.. and I really dont think you guys need gas tips you have hondas...us big boys with v8s need some hybrid v8s lmao..(that whole line was a joke) exept the big boy part lol but really

the rx400h by lexus is a v-8 hybrid unless it is a v-6 like the ford explorer engine hehe rice is nice for the environment too
Old 09-04-2005
I Queef > You

sKwiD is on a distinguished road
AC on the freeway is okay I think, at the lowest notch that is. And I usually turn the temperature one notch to the right, so it's not the coldest.

Engine braking, yes.

If you are using the AC, turn it off at a stoplight.

I don't think that it makes a difference regarding how fast you go on the freeway. I usually do about 75. On trips to LA i do about 85 and gas mileage is even better.
Old 09-04-2005

IF you have an auto tranny drop it to neutral and coast to the light then leave it in neutral till its time to go...neutral rpms lower than idle rpms by about 1-200..

FIX A FLAT SUCKS it is as useless as car-wash-in-a-can...or monkeys fycking coconuts

especially if you're the technician whop gets to break the seal of the bead to the rim of a tire with fix a flat in it....lets just say its like that scene in freddy got fingered at the end where Tom is "playing with the elephant"
Old 09-04-2005
Premium Member

haha i took my can out. Yea and I almost always put auto tranny in neutral at lights. This makes the tranny run cooler until you're ready to go. Also the ac is a great idea too. if its one notch from cold, coolant is still routed to the heater corer and this cools the engine a tad. Also lower fan speed pulls less current.
Old 09-04-2005
Registered!!

micks7thgen is an unknown quantity at this point
[QUOTE=Shroomster]
FIX A FLAT SUCKS it is as useless as car-wash-in-a-can...or monkeys fycking coconuts

MFC..MFC!!!!! is your name MFC, it looks like the guy had a seizure when he wrote it. Dane Cook is such a silly b***h.

Also i have been told filling up your tank part of the way can cause the inside of the tank to rust and corrode. it is just best to fill it up when possible.
Old 09-04-2005
Premium Member

how will plastic corrode??
Old 09-04-2005

plastics will deteriorate too ( take a styrofoam cup or a dixie cup and put carb cleaner in it and watch what happens...

not sure about the plastics the car makers use
Old 09-04-2005
Premium Member

wait wouldn't the gas corrode it more than air tho? I'm tryin to figure this out.
Old 09-04-2005

Originally Posted by gearbox
wait wouldn't the gas corrode it more than air tho? I'm tryin to figure this out.

gas corrode plastic?

(read: plastic gas cans)

autozone plastic gas cans

shhh gear I wont tell anyone about this
Old 09-04-2005
Registered!!

this is just what i am told i think it really doesnt apply to newer cars cuz they are mostly plastic but older car had metal gas tanks. sorry if i threw yall for a loop.
Old 09-04-2005
Premium Member

hahaha okay. I was around when things were made out of m-e-t-a-l. I kno thats hard to find these days
Old 09-04-2005
Registered!!

it wasnt that long ago but the only car i had that had a metal tank was a 78 super beetle i wish i had that thing now it got like 50+ mpgs
Old 09-04-2005

hey off topic Q....what made it super really? different compression ratio?

Quick Reply: Gas Saving Tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!