General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Gas Saving Tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Gas Saving Tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please add to these if you can! I'm dying here!

1. Wait until the gas light comes on to fill up, and then add no more than 2-3 gallons of gas. Sure you fill more often, but you're saving over 50lbs of weight.

2. if you come to a light you know will last more than a minute, shut off your car. Just know when its your turn to start it back up again.

3. Avoid full throttle starts. Ease on the gas, try not to get past 4k rpms on average.

4. Never use the AC, close windows on the freeway, try not to use the fan or radio if possible.

5. use fp60 fuel cleaner.

6. inflate tires to 32 psi. The small amount of tire wear will be worth the extra mileage.

7. Don't turn corners too fast.

8. make sure air filter is clean, and plugs are good. Clean throttle body if dirty.

9. the shortest route may not always be best. If it has 10 traffic lights or stop signs, and a longer road doesn't have any, the longer road will save gas.

10. try to go 55mph on the freeway if at all possible.

11. when approaching a red light or stop, conserve momentum. Don't keep your foot on the gas the whole way, but try and coast your way there.

12. Get gas when its colder outside, mornings and evenings.

13. keep excess weight out of the car. remove the spare if you don't need it. Avoid carrying other passengers, unless you carpool and split the gas.
Old 08-31-2005
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
good list

also, ease on the throttle.....do not stomp on it.
Old 08-31-2005
Registered!!

TurismoDreamin is a jewel in the roughTurismoDreamin is a jewel in the roughTurismoDreamin is a jewel in the rough
1. if u wait til ur gas light comes on, u risk messing up ur fuel system n engine...
2. if u turn off ur car and start it when the light comes back on, out of reaction you could start the car and shift the car into drive immediately after, adding more stress to ur engine...and plus starting and shutting off ur car that many times could hurt as well...
Old 08-31-2005
Registered!!

brent_01civic_e is an unknown quantity at this point
if you can use public transportation. If its worth it.
Old 08-31-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
hybrids have auto shutoff at lights. and the gas light coming on, I've never had problems for the 3+ years I had the car. There should be at least 1-2 gallons left. Only way damage happens is if you run it til its dry and suck in that last 1% of gas thats low octane.
Old 08-31-2005
Registered!!

jackal903 is an unknown quantity at this point
i believe wait till the gas light come on will not messing up ur fuel system. After the gas light come on, the gas still enough to let me drive about 35+ miles.
Old 08-31-2005
You boost, I-VTEC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the rough
i've found that not goin above 3k on the tach seems to help alot. And now i'm bypassing 3rd and 5th. MMMM cruising at 35mph @ 1100rpm in 6th
Old 08-31-2005
Registered!!

nooboob is on a distinguished road
you forgot a step:

dont add gas. ride out the clutch.
Old 08-31-2005
Registered!!

Taffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant future
Don't roll the windows down all the way
Old 08-31-2005
aki
Registered!!

aki is an unknown quantity at this point
Starting the car uses significantly more gasoline than your car staying at idle. Better off not shutting down the engine unless you have to stop for a really long time, like 10+ min.
Old 08-31-2005

K20me is a jewel in the roughK20me is a jewel in the roughK20me is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by aki
Starting the car uses significantly more gasoline than your car staying at idle. Better off not shutting down the engine unless you have to stop for a really long time, like 10+ min.
Yup, I heard the same thing.

Carpool if you can!
Old 08-31-2005
Premium Member

kirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by WildRice
Don't roll the windows down all the way
does that really do something?
Old 08-31-2005
Wish I had a Turbo 3)

04|5spdCivic can only hope to improve
when on the interstate or highway and you have to turn off and theres a light i usually leave car out of gear and turn engine off and coast for that last mile of interstate slowly slowing down. then wait at the stoplight for as long as possible to turn car back on.
Old 08-31-2005
Unsalvageable

rEkKaShInObI should not be trustedrEkKaShInObI should not be trustedrEkKaShInObI should not be trustedrEkKaShInObI should not be trusted
light cars save gas
Old 08-31-2005
Registered!!

03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light
If you follow theese tips - you can think that you drive Toyota Prius.
Make sure you will buy appropriate emblems that say toyota prius. :0

Personaly I reraly revv past 2.5k, except when on hwy or need to accelerate faster...
That saves me fuel, I get about 7.5L per each 100km on turbo d17
Old 08-31-2005
Still in the game...

scatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to behold
very nice
Old 08-31-2005
Registered!!

Robb989 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the tips.
Old 08-31-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to behold
Coast down hills...
Old 08-31-2005
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Eat one less pizza and you just saved money for the gas.

Best tip: Plan all your trips ahead so you can do ONE run in a circle instead of several seperate trips. I do this on a regular basis. It really helps.
Old 08-31-2005
Registered!!

xxnoshelterxx is an unknown quantity at this point
engine brake as you come to a light, it uses no gas.
Old 08-31-2005
Registered!!

03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light
use subway. It uses electricity
Old 08-31-2005
Unsalvageable

rEkKaShInObI should not be trustedrEkKaShInObI should not be trustedrEkKaShInObI should not be trustedrEkKaShInObI should not be trusted
Originally Posted by xxnoshelterxx
are you serious about that? engine braking doesnt bring you to a complete stop, and you'd hafta shift down.
Old 08-31-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by xxnoshelterxx

Hummm..... gasoline engines don't have engine brakes

Only diesel engines can engine brak (Jake brake) that is where a valve constricts the exhuast so that not much fresh air can get into the cylinder, hence less gas is needed. This does NOT work on gasoline enigines

And if you are just down shifting that raises the RPMsa and wares your clutch faster, so cost you more money in 2 ways.

Also, how can turning slowly save gas, I would think it would take more gas to go from 10 MPH in turn back up to 50 MPH, rather than turning at say 25MPH and going up to 50 MPH. In one case you have to acclerate 40 MPH more and the other 25 MPG more, it would seem to me the 25MPH increase would eat less gas. IDk
Old 08-31-2005
Registered!!

steak84ss will become famous soon enoughsteak84ss will become famous soon enough
That's the dumbest list I've ever seen and I sincerely hope it's a joke!!
Old 08-31-2005

bamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of light
take out those heavy *** subs out of your trunks
Old 08-31-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
1. tire pressure i stick to 30 to 32 also
2. no air
3. windows create drag after lets say 50 or 60mph
4. if you wait till the gas light comes on your engine will not mess up(thats freakin stupid)
it just means you have 30 miles left to fuel up.
5.when your car has more gas in the tank it uses less of it than when there is less. but when the tank is more full then its heavier. so i keep at half alot.
6. its proven when you wait a minute with motor on it uses more gas than if you kill it and start it up again.
7. DON'T REDLINE
8. shifting, honda says optimal range of fuel efficiency is from 2k to 3250 rpms. so shift at 3k. after 5th if your real **** about it don't go past 60. i go 80 at 3800 rpms. still get 40+ mpg
9.having a manual tranny helps
10. coasting is your friend
11. do not downshift for ****
12. 1st gear is least efficient with gas. don't stay in first if you don't have to.
13. combine trips like tinman said
14. don't use premium unless your boosted and have to-(i got 20mpg at premium and 40+ and regular)
15. quit buying mods. use the money to buy gas.
16. quit buying ho's, find your gf and do her instead for free
17. quit spoilin the bitch, no more dinners till the crisis goes away. lol
if i missed anything sorry. hope that helps
o by the way, GET A HONDA
Old 08-31-2005
Registered!!

dre2600 is an unknown quantity at this point
Buy a bicycle and use it whenever you can, I did and now I'm more fit (which, as one can imagine, has benefeits for long nights w. one's g/f) and burn roughly 1/3 less gas than I normally would.
Old 08-31-2005
My rectum hurts........

Mustang5.0HO is an unknown quantity at this point
Theres nothing for me to save gas..
Old 08-31-2005
My rectum hurts........

Mustang5.0HO is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by MajinB
4. if you wait till the gas light comes on your engine will not mess up(thats freakin stupid)
it just means you have 30 miles left to fuel up.
That is true in everycar...NEVER EVER let the light show...or try not to.. eventhought you have gas left your asking for your injectors to get dirty and other important parts...
Old 08-31-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
maybe in an old 5.0 stang, but not in a civic that gets 30+ mpg. if you run out yeah you get screw something up, im not denying that, but saying if the light comes on its the end of the world is crap.

Quick Reply: Gas Saving Tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!