General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Gas Saving Tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005
People Eating Tasty Animals PETA
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to all
I'm glad I moved closer to work. I'm only 6 miles from the job instead of 23 or 24 miles! woo hoo! wife also is way closer to work.. she is 2.5 miles from her job =)

we can now say we have made a huge difference in our driving habits and it is for the good. we will be saving so much $$$
Old 09-07-2005
master of the culinary martial arts

masarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Jrfish007
or WALK to taco bell, guess I'm lucky I can walk to a couple of places.
You'd still have to pay more money to BUY your food at a fast food place than if you just MADE it yourself.
Old 09-07-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by masarak
You'd still have to pay more money to BUY your food at a fast food place than if you just MADE it yourself.

Yeah, but walking less work than making my own food... I'm lazy what can I say
Old 09-07-2005
Premium Member

runner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by gearbox
3+yrs of letting the light come on, heck I haven't even been filling it past 1/2 anymore to save weight. My car is doing just fine. And no the list isn't a joke. How do you think I get 42mpg on the highway otherwise?
42 is an impresive number but i think also a factor is how far you have to drive your car, i mean if i have to go on a long trip then i dont drive the rest of the month, or i bike to school now and things like that, but lately its been low for me so far 130 and at the half way mark on an 05 lx auto, and sometimes on roadtrips it only gets like 35 mpg not 38 or whatever, so desperate times for desperate measures
Old 09-07-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
My aunt gets 50-52 MPG highway (she works about 50 miles from her house). HX MT, she drive like a grandma to do it though, shifts at 3000 RPMS, goes about 5 under the speed limit, and all this other stuff.

I perosnally can't do that, I enjoy driving, she just sees driving as a way to get from point A to B, I like to have fun going from A to B.
Old 09-07-2005
Registered!!

Devani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond repute
Had to change to stock wheels. Hoping to get 37-40MPG like I used to get. Although 215-45Z17 got me 35 on highway.
Old 09-10-2005
Registered!!

xxnoshelterxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by nick95673
not really because gas isnt causing the engine to rev up. the wheels are forcing the tranny to spin which forces the engine to spin. it takes no more gas than going in neutral. and yes it does cause extra stress but 4k rpm is safe i mean if you cruise at 80 in 4th your doin the same damage. and when your comin downhill for over 50miles with some hills at a 7% grade you dont want to ride your brakes. the final drop into the valley is about 1/4 of a mile long at 7% and i put it in 5th and started at 50mph and let it go by the bottom of the hill i was going over 90mph.
it uses 0 gas, not some gas, not even a little, but zero. just like you said, the wheels turn the engine, the engine does not turn the wheels in this case.
Old 09-10-2005
Registered!!

micks7thgen is an unknown quantity at this point
heavy pedal misconceptions

if your cruising in 5th gear at 45mphs and you hit the gas without downshifting your gonna use more gas but if you press the pedal farther than necessary the ecu will regulate the amount of gas being put in the engine so you wont waste gas. they designed it that way so it will be more efficient not to down shift and accelerate with higher rpms. that is what the vtec's on the d17s were designed to do. so my tip is to not downshift for acceleration, it will be slower but you will save gas.
Old 09-10-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by xxnoshelterxx
it uses 0 gas, not some gas, not even a little, but zero. just like you said, the wheels turn the engine, the engine does not turn the wheels in this case.
ok it uses enough gas to keep it at the rpms at the level it needs to be in synch with the tranny/wheels. cause if it uses no gas, the **** would DETONATE!!! damn, hope that helps.
Old 09-10-2005
Registered!!

i drove a passat wagon with a manual transmission, when we put it in neutral and rolled down a hill the mpg gauge would say like 70 or 80 mpg, but when we left it in gear and cruised down a hill the gauge would read infinity and the gauge had four digit places, so it could have read 3000 if that was the case, but it read inifinity. maybe you're talking about an automatic transmission, if this is the case then what i'm talking about does not apply. the engine is simply turned by the wheels, there is no gas, no spark, so explain what would detonate.
Old 09-10-2005

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
im taking about a manual tranny. if there is no gas used, the engine would not run, there would be no power steering no power brakes or anything!! look, its the same gas used. no joke, the air/fuel ratie has to be the same like your accelerating to 3 k and staying at it on level roads. its the same, so if your going down hill at 3k in 2nd gear lets say, then it has to be the same A/F ratio or if it gets too lean detonation will occur.
if you think there is no spark or any cumbustion when you let off the gas your freaking wrong and misinformed
Old 09-10-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
there has to be some gas to let the engine idle.
Old 09-11-2005
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Depends, Gearbox. My 85 Nissan for instance will shut off the gas when slowing down or coasting until the engine reaches 1200 RPM or you push down the clutch. It gets very good mileage because of this. 28 - 32. 85 Nissan truck.
When I disable that fuel cut system (diagnostic jumper) it gets 17Mpg. I wonder if Honda cuts the fuel during deceleration as well. I'll have to study the manual. If it's done right, you don't notice it.
Old 09-11-2005
The Declaration of Independence was written on marijuna paper

Ellocodetroit is a jewel in the roughEllocodetroit is a jewel in the roughEllocodetroit is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Shroomster
plastics will deteriorate too ( take a styrofoam cup or a dixie cup and put carb cleaner in it and watch what happens...

not sure about the plastics the car makers use
Styrofoam is not a plastic. Any solvent will deteriorate a styrofoam cup.
Old 09-11-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I know on our cars (autos at least), its good to lock the torque converter by accelerating right above 30 mph so it drops the rpm down. That uses less gas.
Old 09-11-2005
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Ellocodetroit
Styrofoam is not a plastic. Any solvent will deteriorate a styrofoam cup.

what it's not made with the same chemicals as plastic?
Old 09-11-2005
Premium Member

plastic is made from oil
Old 09-11-2005

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
screw those cancer carrying dixie cups then they're made of plastic
Old 09-11-2005

liquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trusted
please don't suggest 55 on the freeway. people that aren't willing to do 65 on the freeway should not be on the freeway at all. i've known of people getting pulled over for driving too slow on the freeway and it's one of the best feelings ever.
Old 09-11-2005
Registered!!

civic-king is an unknown quantity at this point
damn!! i read every thread in here.....no one said anything about oil. you know, mechanical resistance. it's a major factor in gas millage. and in the first post, "make sure to have a clean air filter.." this is wrong. you want 80+ mpg? rap a tube sock arround your air filter (round filter) or cut one in half and set it on top of your pannel filter. your engine is basicly a gasoline opperated computer. if the air is restricted, tube sock, dirt, dead animal, etc., the computer will compencate for the air loss by leaning out the fuel curve, i.e. less power. ever wonder why the stock filter fits in the palm of your hand? smaller opening is less air. less air is less fuel. if you do this restriction, i garentee better gas millage. just remember, better fuel economy, worse power. the tube sock adds gas, but will cut HP in half. 80 mpg: 55HP!!!!
Old 09-11-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MajinB
im taking about a manual tranny. if there is no gas used, the engine would not run, there would be no power steering no power brakes or anything!! look, its the same gas used. no joke, the air/fuel ratie has to be the same like your accelerating to 3 k and staying at it on level roads. its the same, so if your going down hill at 3k in 2nd gear lets say, then it has to be the same A/F ratio or if it gets too lean detonation will occur.
if you think there is no spark or any cumbustion when you let off the gas your freaking wrong and misinformed
then please explain why you slow down when you aren't pressing the gas pedal and are in gear. if gas was being used then you would cruise like an automatic. the wheels are turning the engine. the reason you still have power steering and power brakes is because these things run off electricity not gasoline. if the car is on, then these things will run. as long as the engine is turning, the alternator is turning. drive a manual transmission car that has a mpg gauge on it, like the passat i was talking about. try rolling down a hill in neutral, and then try doing it in gear, the gauge will go from high to infinity.
Old 09-11-2005
Registered!!

mrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura about
then please explain why you slow down when you aren't pressing the gas pedal and are in gear. if gas was being used then you would cruise like an automatic. the wheels are turning the engine. the reason you still have power steering and power brakes is because these things run off electricity not gasoline. if the car is on, then these things will run. as long as the engine is turning, the alternator is turning. drive a manual transmission car that has a mpg gauge on it, like the passat i was talking about. try rolling down a hill in neutral, and then try doing it in gear, the gauge will go from high to infinity.
actually you still have power steering becuase the enging is still turning and not becuase of electricity. powersteering, and part of the AC system and brakes are powered by the engine. the engine power these things via belts that run a hydrolic pump. some newer cars however do have electic power steering, ac and brakes. this is used to save gas since these things will not longer bear a load on the engine. the Prius i believe has an electic steering system.

but i think you are right, if youre going down a hill, going down in nuetral you will use more gas since the car will be forced to idle.
Old 09-12-2005

ok why i slow down when i don't press gas pedal in a gear___
1. gravity
2. friction on roads
3. drag cause of going so fast
4. when you let off the gas of a manual tranny, the rpms don't drop to less than 2k, they slowly go down with proportion to the speed of the car. EXAMPLE : 80mph in 5th gear is 3800 rpms for me. so when i let off the gas it slowly goes down from 3800 to 36 then 34 then 32 when i let off the gas, cause the rpms go down this means my car is slowing. at 3k in 5th gear i should be going at 55mph.
5. the gas has to be proportionate to the rpms while its in a gear. if i was coasting, the car would slow LESS cause the tranny/wheels would not be slowing it down more. thats why you have downshifting to slow down.
6. i know that power steering/brakes work off pulley system/electrical system. and what runs those? the crank from the motor. what does the motor run off of? GASOLINE.
7. the gauge you refer to is moronic. plain and simple. if the car ignition is on then its using gas. maybe its a small amount of gas, but its still using it.

cliff notes:
idle uses gas
moronic gauge is wrong
rolling down a hill proves nothing. next question
Old 09-12-2005

Titleist71 can only hope to improve
ride a bike? haven't read all 15 pages lol.
Old 09-12-2005
The Declaration of Independence was written on marijuna paper

Ellocodetroit is a jewel in the roughEllocodetroit is a jewel in the roughEllocodetroit is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Shroomster
what it's not made with the same chemicals as plastic?
I stand corrected. I didn't think polystyrene(Chemical used to maked styrofoam) was considered a plastic. The plastic cups(red beer cups) are also made of polystyrene, I always that they were made of polypropylene which I knew was considered a plastic. The chemist(me) got owned .

polystyrene

Plastic recycling

I'm going back to my corner
Old 09-14-2005
Registered!!

civic-king is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by mrchowmein
actually you still have power steering becuase the enging is still turning and not becuase of electricity. powersteering, and part of the AC system and brakes are powered by the engine. the engine power these things via belts that run a hydrolic pump. some newer cars however do have electic power steering, ac and brakes. this is used to save gas since these things will not longer bear a load on the engine. the Prius i believe has an electic steering system.

but i think you are right, if youre going down a hill, going down in nuetral you will use more gas since the car will be forced to idle.
volkswagen baby!! all new volks have electric powersteering. 8th gen civc too!! most new cars are switching to this. it's lighter, and you can control the torque assist via the ecu..
Old 09-15-2005
Registered!!

this moronic gauge you speak of was engineered by volkswagon, i'm pretty sure they are less moronic than you. you also slow down while in gear when you are going slowly when wind resistance is not an issue. i read this **** in the technical correspondence section of a car magazine, and i consistently get between 38-41 miles to the gallon.

4. when you let off the gas of a manual tranny, the rpms don't drop to less than 2k, they slowly go down with proportion to the speed of the car.
this is because the engine and wheels are directly connected, which is why the wheels turn the engine and the engine doesn't require gas to turn.
Old 09-15-2005

this moronic gauge you speak of was engineered by volkswagon, i'm pretty sure they are less moronic than you. you also slow down while in gear when you are going slowly when wind resistance is not an issue. i read this **** in the technical correspondence section of a car magazine, and i consistently get between 38-41 miles to the gallon.

4. when you let off the gas of a manual tranny, the rpms don't drop to less than 2k, they slowly go down with proportion to the speed of the car.
this is because the engine and wheels are directly connected, which is why the wheels turn the engine and the engine doesn't require gas to turn.
first, its a moronic gauge. infinity with gasoline does not exist. just cause a car magazine says it, don't mean its true. and i always get 40 plus mpg in the city and highway. it requires gas to turn when the ignition is on. when its off and rolling with a dead motor then no, but when the motor is on it has gas feeding it at ALL rpms, whether its in gear or not, down hill or not. im telling you if it didn't have gas the motor would stall out. and how would it start back up if it has no gas? man your not making any sense.
Old 09-19-2005
Registered!!

"im telling you if it didn't have gas the motor would stall out"
this is true at idle, which is why it's better to leave it in gear when you're going down hill, than put it in neutral, the car feeds gas to the engine at idle to prevent it from stalling. when you're rolling down hill the wheels are turning the engine, and it does not need gas to prevent it from stalling.
"how would it start back up if it has no gas?"
gas could easily resume being injected while it was spinning, all you have to do is press the gas pedal.
Old 09-19-2005

man we should all drive model t's they had no fuel injection just open carbs and fuel lines drum brakes all around too i think hehe yeah...good times..good times...didn't have to worry about the engine stalling out as much as you did it blowing up

that or the flintstones car that'd be real fun....

Quick Reply: Gas Saving Tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!