General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Gas Saving Tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
3+yrs of letting the light come on, heck I haven't even been filling it past 1/2 anymore to save weight. My car is doing just fine. And no the list isn't a joke. How do you think I get 42mpg on the highway otherwise?
Old 08-31-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
oh and as far as engine braking or whatever, yes it does work to some extent. In my auto I can let go of the gas and the car will stop eventually. Rpms stay lower in gear than in neutral. So don't shift to neutral if you have a manual.
Old 08-31-2005
My rectum hurts........

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mustang5.0HO is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by MajinB
maybe in an old 5.0 stang, but not in a civic that gets 30+ mpg. if you run out yeah you get screw something up, im not denying that, but saying if the light comes on its the end of the world is crap.
Its not the end of the world..no one is exagerating here...anyways im talking about EVERYCAR and TRUCK..never once did I say 5.0s...and yeah Its never good for the light to turn on...****..My car doesnt have a light I have to fill it up everytime since I dont know when its running out and dont ever want it to run down to the last line..and I have a v8 so I dont get it how you guys let the light turn on...its kinda pathetic..really.. and I really dont think you guys need gas tips you have hondas...us big boys with v8s need some hybrid v8s lmao..(that whole line was a joke) exept the big boy part lol but really
Old 08-31-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
yeah true we have hondas, but if its redlined or put up to 5-6 k alot it gets only 20 to the gallon. and i know thats still alot, but its sucky compared to 40.
Old 08-31-2005
Pretty friggin old-school member

silver_surfer is a glorious beacon of lightsilver_surfer is a glorious beacon of lightsilver_surfer is a glorious beacon of lightsilver_surfer is a glorious beacon of lightsilver_surfer is a glorious beacon of light
the university of nebraska completed a study proving newer cars 2000+ (usually) tend to get better gas milage with the ac on and the windows up rather than the ac off and the windows down. Just something to think about
Old 09-01-2005
Registered!!

oOoHhLaLaBaBeE is an unknown quantity at this point
I should just buy a bike... Ill save gas and lose calories..
Old 09-01-2005
Got Bags?

HondaNation is on a distinguished road
walk
Old 09-01-2005
Registered!!

Civicccc will become famous soon enoughCivicccc will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by silver_surfer
the university of nebraska completed a study proving newer cars 2000+ (usually) tend to get better gas milage with the ac on and the windows up rather than the ac off and the windows down. Just something to think about
Thats while driving on the freeway. The drag with windows open causes more gas to be used than the ac would. But its not the case if you are just driving through residential areas.
Old 09-01-2005
Proud to be a civic owner

es2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
you need to go to the gym or exercise more often.. you will have 1lb less of fat and reducing the weight of the car!
Old 09-01-2005
Pretty friggin old-school member

silver_surfer is a glorious beacon of lightsilver_surfer is a glorious beacon of lightsilver_surfer is a glorious beacon of lightsilver_surfer is a glorious beacon of lightsilver_surfer is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Civicccc
Thats while driving on the freeway. The drag with windows open causes more gas to be used than the ac would. But its not the case if you are just driving through residential areas.
true

i know there was a mph in there.. i cant remember it though =/
Old 09-01-2005
aki
Registered!!

aki is an unknown quantity at this point
The fuel light comes on usually when there's about 3 gallons left--which is a whole lot. Fuel light coming on doesn't mean your engine's gonna screw up.
Old 09-01-2005
Registered!!

zzsupermanzz15 is on a distinguished road
my gas light is always on, the goes away, then comes up again but this is when its near empty. I ran out of gas once, my friends and I had to push my car ahha...

so u guys are saying, it is best not to fill up? put only 3-5 gal? And wtf 40 mpg??! **** i get nearly 32ish aha

Last edited by zzsupermanzz15; 09-01-2005 at 01:10 AM.
Old 09-01-2005
Bone Stock!

dalaw is an unknown quantity at this point
i disagree with keeping your gas tank near empty all the time. Yeah, you save like 60 lbs, but those extra trips to the gas station will cost you some gas (i.e. waiting in line, go out of your way to get to a gas station, acceleratiing and waiting for traffic to pass upon leaving), brakes (slowing down when pulling into the station, coming to a stop at the pump and to wait for traffic to pass), plus, you are wasting an enormous amount of time by going there 5 times a week instead of 1.

Last edited by dalaw; 09-01-2005 at 01:46 AM.
Old 09-01-2005
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
sorry guys to burst your bubble about the keeping the car near empty ALL the time is very very bad for your car...not neccessarily the engine but your fuel pump will burn up much much faster and can malfunction prematurely...
i HAVE studied this in my autotech classes and it is in my automotive technology book
in the gas tank the fuel pump is used to deliver fuel to the engine but doing so whenever the car is on makes the fuel pump very very hot...even though it gets very hot it does not igniite the gasoline on fire...the gasoline as a liquid actually keeps the fuel pump and the fuelpump pickup cool and regulates the temperature...since liquid gasoline without oxegen is impossible to light up (vapors are what is flamable)...so if u constantly keep you car on empty where the fuel never covers the fuel pump it will cause it to burn out quickly due to excessive heat damage so it will cost you more in the long run...also how do you know when u dont need your spare...a flat could happen anytime so a spare tire is there for emergencies not to be taken out "when you think you dont need it"...lol just my factoids about the gas and 2 cents about the spare...heh if you dont beleive me ask any ASE certified master technitian...yes a master tech because any idiot can get 1-2 certs...but all 8-9 is very very hard...or research it online...you could also lookin the book called "automotive technology" 4th edition
Old 09-01-2005
Registered!!

^^ its all good, ill just drive like a grandma, **** im broke...10 bucks is all i can afford to put in the civic, everytime i fill up! ahhaha..um 3 gallons? lol soo sadd....
Old 09-01-2005
aki
Registered!!

aki is an unknown quantity at this point
Forgot to say the most important rule to save gas:

Go 50-55 mph on the freeway. Yeah, it's slow as heck (I average 70-80), but it makes a *huge* difference. I get about 30 mpg going bout 80, and 40 going about 55.
Old 09-01-2005
Registered!!

JCiv03 is on a distinguished road
awsome tips! Just a question though... do you really use that much gas while idling for 1 minute? more gas than starting the car back up?
Old 09-01-2005
Premium Member

Originally Posted by dalaw
i disagree with keeping your gas tank near empty all the time. Yeah, you save like 60 lbs, but those extra trips to the gas station will cost you some gas (i.e. waiting in line, go out of your way to get to a gas station, acceleratiing and waiting for traffic to pass upon leaving), brakes (slowing down when pulling into the station, coming to a stop at the pump and to wait for traffic to pass), plus, you are wasting an enormous amount of time by going there 5 times a week instead of 1.
for some people its not. I have a gas station on my way wherever I go and there's never any line. Takes me maybe 1-2 mins to make a pit stop with CC.
Old 09-01-2005
Premium Member

yes idle does use alot of gas. Even your owners manual says don't idle more than a minute cause it wastes gas. I'm not sure how much it takes to start up, but I know one of the gas saving features of the hybrid is auto-engine off at stop lights.

Also about the tank low thing and fuel pump, how do you know that the fuel pump isn't being covered by gas all the time? Imo some engineers are really stupid if they designed it to burn up eventually when gas is low. Anyway, I've been keeping it low for about a year with daily driving and no problems at all. Any guess on how long it takes to burn it up? Cause I still got a couple years of ext. warranty to use up.
Old 09-01-2005
Premium Member

if you don't want a spare taking up weight, get a can of fix-a-flat. There is no reason for a spare in the city where you can call a tow-truck or walk to a store and call. If I go on a long distance trip, then ya I'll prolly throw it in the back in a plastic bag just in case.
Old 09-01-2005
Registered!!

fix a flat? sorry noob here, never herd of it, what is it?
Old 09-01-2005
im stock now! T.T

Civic_RedLine will become famous soon enough
u forgot to add, use ur cruise control whenever u can on the freeway. it helps

fix a flat dont work on performance tires either, only on crappy tires.
Old 09-01-2005
Registered!!

nick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to behold
fix a flat its a glue that fixes flats. if you have triple a have them tow you to an america's tire co they will fix small holes for free. and how do we clean the throttle body properly? o and 9 times out of 10 if someone mentions a product type www. then product name then .com like so www.fixaflat.com
Old 09-01-2005
Registered!!

orion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really nice
Get a hybrids and file for tax return
Old 09-01-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by dalaw

I think this something that is different for everybody. For instance, my mom works not even 5minutes from home and passes a gas station on her way to and from work, so for here it doesn't make much sence. On the other hand I sometimes can drive 100+ mile for work, this would mean stopping to fill up every day, doesn't make sence. I think the rule should be changed to something like try to keep 3 days worth of gas, about half a tank for me.
Old 09-01-2005
Premium Member

fix a flat is a can of goo that ytou use to seal and fill a flat tire with air. I just have regular tires so i'm pretty sure it would work. But like I said emergency only. I doubt it would ever get used anyway cause I bring the spare on long trips.
Old 09-01-2005
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
lol i ran over 40 miles on the gas light once, but thats with 2 gallons left so nothing that impressive.
Old 09-01-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
or you could go super saiyan and fly around town. it would be a little bit of an attention drawing though. lol
Old 09-01-2005
Proud to be a civic owner

es2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by aki
Forgot to say the most important rule to save gas:

Go 50-55 mph on the freeway. Yeah, it's slow as heck (I average 70-80), but it makes a *huge* difference. I get about 30 mpg going bout 80, and 40 going about 55.
i got about 40mpg when i did 70 - 80 before...
(maybe i partially used cruise control during the long trip)
Old 09-01-2005
There is no substitute

ironchef is an unknown quantity at this point
you have to remember that air resistance (aerodynamic drag) increases by the square of the factor. Example, when you're going 80mph, compared to 55mph, even though you've only increased your speed by about 1.45 times, you've also increased drag by more than twice. At those high speeds, drag is a BIG factor. I've started to drive slower than usual (around 62mph or 100km/h) on the highway, and I've definitely noticed a difference. Food for thought.

Quick Reply: Gas Saving Tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!