I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment - Audio) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Replace front door speakers - replace speaker wire?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CleMike is an unknown quantity at this point
Replace front door speakers - replace speaker wire?

Hey guys,
I have a 2017 Honda Civic Manual - basic model.
I am planning to install an amp, subwoofer, and replace the front speakers, keeping the stock head unit.
I have done this before on my old 2002 Honda Civic, but I had an aftermarket radio, so I am new to doing it with a stock head unit.
My amp has speaker level inputs, so I was planning on just tapping into my rear speakers because I don't want to mess with cutting any wires on the stock radio.

Questions:
1.) The guy on crutchfield said I could just tap into my rear speakers for the inputs when I said I didnt want to mess with the radio. He also said I should replace the stock speaker wire when I replace front doors and said that would run to my amp. Is it difficult to replace and reroute the stock speaker wires, would I need to mess with the radio if I do this? Where is it going into the amp?
2.) Is there a convenient wire to tap into for the remote turn on wire?

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2019
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Replace front door speakers - replace speaker wire?

1.) I don't see why you would need to replace the speaker wire since you are keeping the OEM headunit. It is not changing the amount of power getting sent to the door speakers. Yes tapping into the rear speakers is the easiest place and those taps will go into the "line" input (speaker input) on the amp.

2.) Ignition area. I would use a volt meter and find a wire that goes to +12 when the key is turned. Cigarette lighter (12V socket) would work also as long as it gets turned on with the key and is not hot all the time.
Old 10-19-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CleMike is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GolNat
1.) I don't see why you would need to replace the speaker wire since you are keeping the OEM headunit. It is not changing the amount of power getting sent to the door speakers. Yes tapping into the rear speakers is the easiest place and those taps will go into the "line" input (speaker input) on the amp.

2.) Ignition area. I would use a volt meter and find a wire that goes to +12 when the key is turned. Cigarette lighter (12V socket) would work also as long as it gets turned on with the key and is not hot all the time.
Exactly answered my questions. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2019
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

You're welcome and good luck on the install
Old 10-19-2019
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've read, you supposedly get better sound levels if you tap the front speakers. Then again, that's if trying to wire in something like an AudioControl LC2i to tap a sub into the stock system. From what I've also read (been doing a buncha research for my own system), people have had adequate sound levels when tapping the rear speakers. I'm sure it's super audio-philes making a big deal out of tapping front vs rear channels.