I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment - Audio) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

LED Headlight Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FJP326 is an unknown quantity at this point
LED Headlight Upgrade

Was considering upgrading headlights and fogs to LED. The pros are obvious, but are there any cons to these. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 08-15-2019
Registered!!

constantin_md is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: LED Headlight Upgrade

The ugly yellow riddance of the lights in 2019 outweighs any cons there might be ))))

I did some research a few days ago and here are my findings:

One LED brand can be excellent for projector type (low beam in Civics) and not so good for reflector type (high beam in Civics) and vice versa.
Also total brightness output from an LED is not as important as the beam pattern. (how light is dispersed)

I went with Hikari Ultra brand for low beams. ($89 on Amazon or less on ebay)
These are built with premium Philips LED chips that are very power efficient and have great performance. They surpass the older generation Cree LEDs

For high beams (is it even worth replacing?) i'd recommend Nineo

For fog lights find something that have "yellow" color 3500-4300k output if you really want them for fog or if you'd like them to be pretty by some Nineo here as well.

Don't forget about the fitment. It's H11 for low beam, not sure for high beam and fog lights.

This website helped me greatly

https://www.bulbfacts.com/led-kits/c...rojectors.html

Also this guy on youtube

claims that Zdatt brand is very close to Hikari Ultra. I see that Zdatt (on hardware) has the same light dispersion built pattern as hikari but the LED chips are definitely not Philips. These can be found for $22 (after $2 built-in first time user coupon) on Aliexpress or $35 on ebay
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3281...chweb201603_52

It's very tempting to buy a set, just for testing, and even if they are not built for reflectors (for high beams) they could be better than stock.

Here is a video of someone with low beam Hikari Ultra, i think they look almost as good as HID lights but can be turned on/off instantly unlike HIDs and are probably more reliable as well.

Last edited by constantin_md; 08-15-2019 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-15-2019
Registered!!

FJP326 is an unknown quantity at this point

Funny, I posted this back in February. I did the upgrades using all of the bulbs you mentioned above, purchased on Amazon. Great improvement. There is mild fan noise, noticed only when the vehicle is not running, and for those of us who still use FM radio, there will be interference, only when you have a week FM signal. Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-15-2019
Registered!!

Good choice! These seem like the best option without breaking the bank.
Old 08-15-2019
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

high beams are 9005's. Fogs are H8's
Old 10-29-2019
Registered!!

Reddrob is an unknown quantity at this point

Question about replacing yellow fogs......why do you need to go with a yellow temperature? I assume a
cooler temperature white led fog light wouldnt do the intended purpose of improving visibility in fog? I just think it would look better if all the lights were matching when on, but still want fog lights to work as intended. What light would you suggest for an led fog replacement?Also how many lumens to you suggest on the low beam? 12000 lumem Hikaris
seem like a lot! I want a good beam throw but dont want to be that annoying guy blinding people. Im thinking of just going with the leds built into the touring trim, but have heard those may not perform ad well as doing it myself on a lower trim.
Old 10-29-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Reddrob
Question about replacing yellow fogs......why do you need to go with a yellow temperature? I assume a
cooler temperature white led fog light wouldnt do the intended purpose of improving visibility in fog? I just think it would look better if all the lights were matching when on, but still want fog lights to work as intended. What light would you suggest for an led fog replacement?Also how many lumens to you suggest on the low beam? 12000 lumem Hikaris
seem like a lot! I want a good beam throw but dont want to be that annoying guy blinding people. Im thinking of just going with the leds built into the touring trim, but have heard those may not perform ad well as doing it myself on a lower trim.
Fog doesn't reflect yellow light as much as blue or white light with LEDs so the visibility with 3000k color(yellow) from regular lamps is better than any luminosity 4.5-6k color. I don't know if you can find any LEDs with 3000k color.
As for the Hikari 12000 lumens, luminosity is not the factor that blinds incoming traffic, but the "beam pattern" An LED set with much lower luminosity lumens and a bad beam pattern can blind a lot more the drivers compared to a more luminous LED set with great beam pattern. Hikari ultra 12000lumens has one of the best beam pattern on the market .
Old 10-29-2019
Registered!!

Reddrob is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by constantin_md
Fog doesn't reflect yellow light as much as blue or white light with LEDs so the visibility with 3000k color(yellow) from regular lamps is better than any luminosity 4.5-6k color. I don't know if you can find any LEDs with 3000k color.
As for the Hikari 12000 lumens, luminosity is not the factor that blinds incoming traffic, but the "beam pattern" An LED set with much lower luminosity lumens and a bad beam pattern can blind a lot more the drivers compared to a more luminous LED set with great beam pattern. Hikari ultra 12000lumens has one of the best beam pattern on the market .
Thank you for the great information on beam pattern vs.
lumen output. Also about temperature of fog lights.
All that said I think Id like to find a similar led fog light replacement, for the factory incandescent fog bulbs.