Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

My DH Ported Head (PICS)!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Oh yeah, will this head change emissions at all?
Old 04-11-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
No, it just flows air better. Think of it like a really good intake for the engine. I know, bad analogy.
Old 04-11-2004
Supercharged k20a3

Drivetofast is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm sorry but you guys know nothing about cars. the Vtec solenoid let's oil flow to the rocker arms when the computer turns it on, witch makes the rocker arms folow the Vtec lobe. hens Vtec solenoid

and the Vtec head and non Vtec will fit on the non Vtec motor
Old 04-11-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks. But is there a way to tell from the head whether it's for a vtec engine or not? My motor has vtec, but I'm not sure if they sent me a vtec head.
Old 04-11-2004
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Drivetofast
I'm sorry but you guys know nothing about cars. the Vtec solenoid let's oil flow to the rocker arms when the computer turns it on, witch makes the rocker arms folow the Vtec lobe. hens Vtec solenoid

watch the attitude, its not like he made false statements. He was ASKING what the difference was, obviously cause he doesnt know. This does not reflect his knowledge of cars, but rather how smart he is to ask a question when not knowing!
Old 04-13-2004
Premium Member

Well I finally got around to talking with a small shop at the edge of town here. They do custom car restorations and engine stuff. The first time I went there, they showed me the 900hp engine they were building.

I took the head there today and the main install guy said the work looks pretty decent and should give a few hp (being sarcastic I hope). He was cool and should be able to install it next week hopefully. I'm gonna have to leave the car and get a ride back from them.

So basically he says it's a big job and will probably be around $300-500, depending on how easy it goes.

Here's what I'm supplying for the install:

--ported head
--head gasket (nippon)
--intake man. gasket
--header gasket
--5w20 oil and filter
--2 gallons coolant
--10 head bolts (absolutely necessary. He says these bolts stretch and must be replaced)

I'm also gonna try and get them to throw on the DC header I should be getting.
Old 04-13-2004
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
cool. Thats about how much I was quoted when I asked arounda bit. 300-500 is about what I would charge someone to do it for them iys alot of work indeed. looks like you have everything set. Good luck.
Old 04-13-2004
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
You're getting the DC header? You can probably install that yourself if you wanted to. Make sure they don't charge you too much extra to install that, as well.

Then again, I had a hard time with that one bolt when I was installing my header. I probably would pay someone $30 to do it, but not much more, cuz it was kinda fun and a good learning experience.
Old 04-14-2004
Registered!!

Green Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
^^ Exactly. A very easy install. The alt. bolt was the hardest for me.
Old 04-14-2004
Premium Member

Since everything will be taken out and I only have one new header gasket, might as well have them put the new header on.
Old 04-15-2004
Roy
Registered!!

Roy is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know if you need to replace those head studs yet... they're good for around 2 times torqued.
Old 04-15-2004
Registered!!

cdmx will become famous soon enoughcdmx will become famous soon enough
nice!
Old 04-15-2004
Premium Member

Project2k2 is on a distinguished road
I got quoted 700 bucks from the first shop, then I went to another one and they offered me 400 bucks.....I just need to pick up all the necessary components.
Old 04-15-2004
Registered!!

ponyman is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by Green Civic
^^ Exactly. A very easy install. The alt. bolt was the hardest for me.
That one was definitely a biatch...needed a deep socket, but then you couldn't fit in the engine bay with the extensions...
Old 04-16-2004
Registered!!

Green Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Its the only one I had trouble with. If you get a deep socket with a short extention on a wrench, it fits. Just torquing it down was hard. soking the bolts in wd-40 helped.
Old 04-18-2004
Premium Member

UPDATE: Head is being installed this Tuesday, so I'll post the results. No tuning for a while.

Anyway, I picked up my header at the meet this weekend. It was supposed to be DC, but I don't see any badging or anything. So it's prpbably generic. It's also pretty beat up, but it should work. I'm surprised that the ports were almost as big as the DH head ports. Don't know if that's good or bad.

Old 04-18-2004

gotti will become famous soon enoughgotti will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by Drivetofast

At least I know how to spell "hence"
Old 04-18-2004
Premium Member

Lol. So can someone actually tell me how to check if it's a vtec head since I obviously don't know?
Old 04-18-2004
Registered!!

APRboy is on a distinguished road
From the pics gearbox, it looks like an HP knock off, which is a really good thing. You don't want the DC header, the piping is so small on it. That one looks just like my HP....good buy!
Old 04-18-2004
Registered!!

Ershall is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Gotti
At least I know how to spell "hence"
At least I know how to spell "which."

BAM! score two for the home team.
Old 04-18-2004
Premium Member

Haha. Yeah I'm happy about the header, cause DC would have been like stock. Someone know about the head being vtec?
Old 04-18-2004
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
Vtec head has item #9 that bolts on

Non-Vtec dont have it

Old 04-18-2004
Premium Member

So I can't tell just by looking at my new head? It seems like that piece would be on the old head, cause the new one doesn't have it. And where does the #9 bolt to? It looks like it's just floating there. Thanks.
Old 04-18-2004
BLDNPSI Mod

im just guessing cause i dont have a vtec, but i think as your looking at it in the picture its bolted to the back side. If your head is vtec it should have an area there for it to bolt to that looks like it has some oil passage ways. if it dont have the oil passage ways then its not a vtec head. I THINK !
Old 04-18-2004
Premium Member

That's bad news, because all I see are the four intake ports. No oil holes. I wouldn't be surprised if he sent me a regular non-vtec head. That would really suck!

Actually I do see a few holes. Don't know if they're for oil. though. I'll just ask the install guy to check when he removes the old one.

Last edited by gearbox; 04-18-2004 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-18-2004
Registered!!

opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
Nevermind...
Old 04-18-2004
Premium Member

I'm not sure I know what you're referring to. Can you show me in a pic? Thanks.
Old 04-18-2004
BLDNPSI Mod

ok in the top picture do you see # 10 , i think thats a gasket and there should be small ports on the head where #9 bolts to the head to allow oil pressure thru into part # 9. if you look at # 10 in the top picture it should give you an idea on what to look for. if it looks like there is a spot for that to bolt to your head then you have a vtec head........... I THINK.
Old 04-18-2004
Premium Member

If you look at my first pic on the first post, there are three holes in a line to the far left, then another small hole. Nothing bigger than those holes, though.
Old 04-18-2004
BLDNPSI Mod

ok looking at YOUR first post picture i would guess and say that is a vtec head. But to be honest im not 100% sure. but it looks like those 3 small holes are for the Vtec sol.

Quick Reply: My DH Ported Head (PICS)!