Engine Performance Modifications Post information/questions about Forced Induction, Nitrous, Engine Building and Swaps here.

D series exhaust question! need help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brettnewb is an unknown quantity at this point
D series exhaust question! need help!

My buddy has a 2000 civic with an aftermarket header, one side of the exhaust was damaged and he cut it out basically straight pipe which the other pipe continues out the back through the muffler. He was worried about o2 sensor problems or if this would affect the engine negatively since two pistons basically are free flowing while two are connected normally and exit through the muffler. Would this cause any issues if he keeps it this way since the cars exhaust note has improved and sounds like a sweet old style two cylinder car. To visually see what has been done to modify the exhaust I have a attached an extremely well drawn diagram of the headers coming from the engine. The normal pipe flowing to the muffler has a o2 sensor but since the other was cut it cant reach the o2 sensor under the car.

Old 02-25-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: D series exhaust question! need help!

since the cars exhaust note has improved and sounds like a sweet old style two cylinder car
I bet his neighbors absolutely hate how it sounds, along with most of the rest of us.

Tell dude don't be that guy. Fix it right.
Old 02-25-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
I bet his neighbors absolutely hate how it sounds, along with most of the rest of us.

Tell dude don't be that guy. Fix it right.
Thanks for answering my question and including your own opinion! It didnt really help with the original question i asked :/ ill pass on the information hes already looking into either a new pipe or brand new exhaust all together its just a bit of fun
Old 02-25-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

it's not a performance improvement, rather a torque loss at mid-low RPM.

And an excuse for the neighbors to shoot him.
your friend won't be able to find where the shot came from, for the exhaust will baffle the shot noise.
Old 02-25-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brettnewb

Thanks for answering my question and including your own opinion! It didnt really help with the original question i asked :/ ill pass on the information hes already looking into either a new pipe or brand new exhaust all together its just a bit of fun
Okay. Thought of a couple serious drawbacks

Air leaks in the exhaust can skew O2 sensor readings, then the ECM can't accurately calculate the correct fuel injection quantity
Torque loss as mentioned
After shutoff......when cold air hits the thin little 800+ degree exhaust valves, they could become warped due to thermal shock, then leak or burn

There's a huge difference between loud exhaust that sounds good and broken exhaust that is just loud and obnoxious....People aren't staring at the car because it sounds good.
Old 02-25-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Okay. Thought of a couple serious drawbacks

Air leaks in the exhaust can skew O2 sensor readings, then the ECM can't accurately calculate the correct fuel injection quantity
Torque loss as mentioned
After shutoff......when cold air hits the thin little 800+ degree exhaust valves, they could become warped due to thermal shock, then leak or burn

There's a huge difference between loud exhaust that sounds good and broken exhaust that is just loud and obnoxious....People aren't staring at the car because it sounds good.
boys chill never said we were driving this anywhere he is repairing it legitimately just thought it was funny that you can basically only hear two cylinders so it sounds like a 4 stroke we haven't driven this on the road hahahaha
thank you so much for giving a legit answer since having the car even idle he was unsure if there would be negatives to the engine and wanted to make sure and went to the forums for guidance.
Old 02-25-2019
Registered!!

haha yea definitely NOT a "performance" upgrade lol not for a second did we think this would be beneficial to performance. Should've added more detail when i asked the question. I didnt mean the word "modify" as in he modified to stay this way just for ***** hes fabricating a new piece of pipe to fit that hole just before hes actually fitted the pipe wanted to see what this weird exhaust setup would sound like basically muffling two cylinders. Thank you for the feedback car will be back to quiet tomorrow since civics sound like hot garbage