General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

question for you guys?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
question for you guys?

Is there a difference between dual exhaust with two mufflers and a car with a big muffler with two tail pipes??? Just curious[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 06-03-2002
Registered!!

pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
hey, i just PMed Avenger with the same exact question pretty much. he seemed to know what he was talking about when it came to exhaust. so if he gets back to me, ill let you know.
Old 06-03-2002
Registered!!

trevor is an unknown quantity at this point
dual exhaust is when it comes off your exhaust manifold or a cat-back into 2 pipes......with a civic 1.7 litre engine you don't want to do this.....it creates too much back presure and you loose lots of power....It's all about what size pipse your running.........2 3" pipes, 2-1/2 inch pipes or whatever.....
Know what i'm saying.........
w/ the dual exhaust tips....they are just tips,......soming out of a muffler.......depends on the diameter and all sorts of stuff.......basically differsnt cars need different size of exhaust piping........thats what i'm saying......anyway..hope I helped a little...[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

actually, I just read your post again, dua; exhuast w/ 1 big muffler[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]......
never seen it[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 06-03-2002
Registered!!

avenger is an unknown quantity at this point
i really can't say, i figure running normal piping to a muffler inline, then going to dual outlet pipes would be better than running two mufflers off a Y pipe, but the thing is both methods wont cause a loss anywhere near what running like 2.75" piping right off the header would cause... the y pipe is a bit down the line, and the drop in pressure from splitting the exhaust shouldnt be too bad b/c if you're going from 2" piping you're now running 4" piping after the split (2 2" pipes for those who didn't have their wheaties today) which seems more than big enough for our lil 1.7L at high rpm... but I'm not an expert with dual setups (except for duals off v8's )
Old 06-03-2002
You boost, I-VTEC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the rough
a 2 tipped muffler is just for show. 2 tips on 1 muffler is the same as having one big tip. hope that helps
Old 06-03-2002
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Well i guess i meant light on some mustangs and camaros, it seems like they have a bigger muffler in the center of the car with 2 tail pipes coming out to each side. I wasn't talking about two tips from one smaller muffler (like on teh VWs or the Se-R). Whereas on the accord, there is a Y pipe with two different mufflers. Are there differences in performance? Thanks