Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Do I Need a New Fuel Tank?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Redtail is an unknown quantity at this point

It's amazing what accumulates in an old car. Damned squirrels!

Actually, the job was a lot easier than I expected, considering how badly the rust monster has bitten my car.

Old 11-10-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,124 Likes on 939 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Do I Need a New Fuel Tank?

Ooh that looks worse than the tank I replaced in my girlfriend's car that was leaking. They usually leak where the seam is. See any damp spots on the tank? Or noticed puddles or smelled gas?
I was able to get a used southern tank for $140 cdn damn thing looked brand new.
Old 11-10-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Looks rusty, but is it leaking gasoline? How long do you think it will be before it leaks gas through rust holes?
Inspect the fuel pipes (and brake lines too) that run up the drivers side, they tend to rust out near that back wheel.
Old 11-11-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

car-part.com
although, it will be difficult to find an used one that is not rusted...
Old 11-13-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Redtail is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Looks rusty, but is it leaking gasoline? How long do you think it will be before it leaks gas through rust holes?
Inspect the fuel pipes (and brake lines too) that run up the drivers side, they tend to rust out near that back wheel.
Yep, found a hole by that part of the tank. I found a new tank on ebay for $112. I'm going to replace the fuel filler neck also. If it isn't leaking now, it will soon.