General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Leak around front of gas tank need help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brent1988 is an unknown quantity at this point
Leak around front of gas tank need help?

Hello,

I noticed leak around front of gas tank. It has absorbed into grease and grime on gas tank under vehicle. I thougt it was oil at first but there is no oil in this area. I touched some of it and it did not smell like fuel, but I do not know what else it could be. I'd sure appreciate any help.

Does anyone know of DIY fix for this or have any advice?

Brent
Old 09-02-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leak around front of gas tank need help?

are you sure its not just some greasy residue from the road or whatever? i had a bunch of that gooey sandy stuff under the car i wiped it off and it never came back. try cleaning first and see what happens.
Old 09-02-2009
Registered!!

Thank you for your reply. I first noticed the leak when it dripped on my driveway when parked overnight. I thought it was oil. I went under vehicle to inspect when I saw an area about 1' foot or so in diameter, where fluid had absorbed into grease and grime accumulated on the front portion of the gas tank.

It could be fuel but I wiped it with my fingers and it did not smell like fuel. However, maybe it lost it's smell from being absorbed by grease and grime. Do you know if there is some gasket on the gas tank that could need replacement? If so, how do you access? Or, can you think of anything else it could be?

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

Brent t
Old 09-02-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i think you need to get under there and look around to be sure the hose clamps and stuff are tight. see if you can spot where its dripping from.
Old 09-02-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all

yea i remember you doing a post on this not long ago, i mentinoed a few things but you seemed to have disappeared.

did you put something on the ground under the car to let some fresh drips drop onto it? something like cardboard so you can easily see exactly whats dripping. if nothing is dripping anymore, do like gb said and just give it a good clean and start from scratch. once its all cleaned and theres nothing there, you will easily be able to see where its coming from or what it is. at that point it will be easier to help you.
Old 09-02-2009
Registered!!

Thanks untuned and gearbox for good advice. I just recently inherited this vehicle from my Dad, and it is for my 16 year old son. My Dad had some young kid change his oil awhile back and the kid left the old oil in the spare tire compartment inside a hard plastic container that had cracked and was leaking all over the place.

I just got done cleaning up the big mess. I did post something awhile back regarding the leak however, I belong to another form and it alerts me with a reply from my regular email. I never heard anything so thought nobody responded. My apologies.

I was about to change the oil just now and spotted a new problem with torn CV boot. I'll start a new thread as to keep things clearer for everyone. Thanks again.

Brent
Old 09-02-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all

oh thats a nasty cleanup. np anyways.
Old 09-02-2009
Premium Member

yeah its very possible the oil is leaking from inside the trunk! there is a space inbetween the trunk bottom and the outside of the car and there are several holes where fluid can pass thru. when my trunk had a water leak, it would drip from the bottom for several days til it all dried up.