Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

gauge cluster light question

Old 02-01-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ohanahorse is an unknown quantity at this point
gauge cluster light question

Have some of the bulbs that are out. What numbers are they and is there a document that tells which ones do what??
thanks
Old 02-01-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: gauge cluster light question

is there a document that tells which ones do what??
Remove bulbs in question. Shine a flashlight into the holes. See what lights up.

some of the bulbs that are out. What numbers are they
There's a few different bulbs.
Carry all bad bulbs into the parts store and see if they can match any of them up.
Then look up your bulbs in an online parts catalog.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/
Old 02-04-2013
Registered!!

Hi, Well I unplugged and tested all 8000 bulbs...fixed (dirty connections) or replaced and now dash is beautiful..THANKS...
Also, the gauge cluster I took out had 108k on it and this one has 160k...is there an easy way to adjust odometer or do I just need to track and disclaim if I ever sell...
thanks again...
Old 02-04-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

the gauge cluster I took out had 108k on it and this one has 160k
Probably easiest to just document the mileage change and hope someone believes you when it comes time to sell it.
Check with your dealer or DMV if they will give you an official mileage change sticker to put in the doorjamb (I seriously doubt they will but I don't know that for sure).

Google for a speedometer repair shop, they can do the work but they may need an official work order copy from a real dealership or shop. Mainly because this becomes a legal matter when it comes to the DMV, and they are NOT going to have anything to do with anything that resembles odometer/mileage tampering.
Old 02-04-2013
Registered!!

Thanks "E"...we'll drive it till it drops...then it won't matter..
Old 02-05-2013
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone
Probably easiest to just document the mileage change and hope someone believes you when it comes time to sell it.
Actually the easiest thing to do on the 6 gen is just unscrew that 4 screws on the back of the speedo and swap it into your new cluster. If anyone ever asks anything just pretend to be dumb as a sack of hammers.
Old 02-05-2013

just unscrew that 4 screws on the back of the speedo
Since I can't see one here and probably won't ever again, I'll ask: Does that just transfer the odometer by itself or does that swap the speedo circuit board with it? Asking because the "intermittent speedo" problem is usually on the board.

Not the cluster printed circuit, I mean the board on the speedo itself.
Old 02-05-2013
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

The whole speedo just pops out as a unit. I did it to mine over 2 years ago now
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4512.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	84651   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4513.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	84652  
Old 02-05-2013

OH you meant the entire speedo head, not the odometer alone.
Old 02-06-2013
Registered!!

I'm confused now...I got the new cluster (they kept the old one as there was a 5.00 core chg) because of a bouncing speed needle. If I understand what you are saying, I would end up keeping the problem by moving the speed to the new cluster. Or are you (and E) saying the bounce is on the board and not within the speed unit itself??
Clear as mud??
Love the sack of hammers reference...a similar one is "uglier than a sack of a$$holes)....
apologies if that's offensive...
Old 02-06-2013

If I understand what you are saying, I would end up keeping the problem by moving the speed to the new cluster.
Right.
Assuming....
The USUAL problem (intermittent operation) is on the circuit board of the speedo head (cracked solder joints can cause a variety of symptoms). If you transferred the original speedo assembly to the new cluster, then you would still have the problem in the speedo.....if that was your problem.

What was your original problem?
The OP was about bulbs, no mention of any speedo problem.