Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

Brake scam?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bymitten is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Brake scam?

Hello everyone,

I recently noticed that my handbrake was getting a little loose (I could pull it up farther) and my braking was feeling "spongy". I was having regular maintenance soon so I had Honda look at it for me. When I got my car back, everything seemed to be corrected but was told that my drum brakes only had 3mm left on them and should be replaced soon. Now, I'm not a huge car know-it-all (hence why I'm on this forum ) but I'm pretty sure the rear drum brakes on my 2014 Honda Civic LX DON'T have pads like the fronts do. I didn't question the service advisor as the info locked up my brain. lol

I've attached a picture of the service inspection checklist so you can see more of what I'm talking about.
This is a scam, correct??

TIA,

Steve

BTW, I found it convenient that there was an issue with my rear brakes now simply because I had mentioned something. The brakes have been inspected yearly and the last two checkups there were noted as good. Hard to believe they went for good to crap so fast with no hard braking.

Old 12-29-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,452 Likes on 1,205 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Brake scam?

they have shoes, but that is just what they put on the check sheet. They wear off and eventually need replacing, although on my 02, the shoes were like new at 95k miles, or so. Maybe they improved brake bias on the 9th gen.

simple answer - no, it's not a scam. Although it usually take a long time to get down a mm.
Old 12-29-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,133 Likes on 947 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

It's a generic sheet...
Those are the measurements for the shoes.
You're not getting scammed
Old 12-29-2018
Registered!!

Ahhhh! Thank you for the info! I just wanted to make sure as it seemed fishy to me.

TA,

Steve
Old 01-04-2019
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Meanie is an unknown quantity at this point

Late to the party but as others have said, no scam. Drum brakes and shoes are a different breed from disc brakes and pads. Shoes will last twice, maybe three times as long as pads. The shop is obviously letting you know the thickness of the shoes and to keep an eye on them as they will need to be replaced soon. Brand new shoes are roughly 11mm thick. Therefore, at 3 mm remaining, you're well beyond 3/4 of original thickness.
Old 01-05-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meanie
Brand new shoes are roughly 11mm thick.Therefore, at 3 mm remaining, you're well beyond 3/4 of original thickness.
Correction: Brand new shoes have linings about 4mm thick.

OP: I somehow missed this thread. Must have been on vacay.
My dealer doesn't even stock brake shoes because we almost never try to sell them.
Old 01-05-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone

OP: I somehow missed this thread. Must have been on vacay.
My dealer doesn't even stock brake shoes because we almost never try to sell them.
According to this guy, the thickness is 11mm. Could he be referring to the entire shoe? I don't believe a lining with only 4mm would leave the lining table at 7mm and only allowing 1mm wear before replacing? Considering the recommended replacement of a shoe is 3mm and less.

https://www.quora.com/How-thick-must...re-replacement

Old 01-05-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
So at 3mm, my brake shoes are only 25% worn??

Meanie, I read the first post from that link you provided. The poster there says "brake pads", not shoes. So I think he's referring to the front brake thickness.
Old 01-05-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

no drum shoes that thick that i ever seen, even in semi trucks. They are enclosed into the drum, they would overheat
4mm sounds correct
Old 01-05-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by bymitten
So at 3mm, my brake shoes are only 25% worn??

Meanie, I read the first post from that link you provided. The poster there says "brake pads", not shoes. So I think he's referring to the front brake thickness.
You're correct. I overlooked the subject line of "Brake Pads". I'm still dumbfounded that shoes are only 4 mm but when they hit 3 mm, it's suggested they are replaced. I know shoes last longer but 1 mm compared to an 11 mm on pads and they still last longer? By your logic, you would be correct in assuming only 25% worn.

I've done many brake repairs on my own vehicle, family and friends, though never gave it a thought of pad/shoe thickness. If you view a metric ruler, 4 mm isn't much, enhancing my confusion trying to envision that thickness on a new pair of shoes.
Old 01-05-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
no drum shoes that thick that i ever seen, even in semi trucks. They are enclosed into the drum, they would overheat
4mm sounds correct
I would tend to agree, but similar to discs and calipers, you retract the piston for fit of new shoes and they make contact when first applied after install. Then, of course, you have the auto adjusters, as well. Perhaps not as thick as pads at 11 mm, but I still find it difficult to believe they are 4 mm brand new.

Last edited by Meanie; 01-05-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-05-2019
Registered!!

I just did a search for average thickness of new drum shoes and came across a few differences based on vehicle brand and type. The thickest I cam across was 5 mm for a Prius and they suggested replacing at 1 mm. I learned something new today.
Old 01-06-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

no problems - I do mistakes everyday
Old 01-06-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meanie
. I'm still dumbfounded that shoes are only 4 mm but when they hit 3 mm, it's suggested they are replaced.
3mm is for disc brake pads, not shoes.
FSM says replace shoes when they are worn to 2mm