View Poll Results: Will polishing the inside of an intake manifold improve performance?
Yes, it will improve performance
0%
No, it won’t do anything at all
100.00%
No, it will reduce performance
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018
Registered!!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough
Re: Should I upgrade my front sway bar? Poll

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
ignore bushings - get the rear anti-roll bar.

details are in my signature links
I never suggested bushings. He asked what I did to my suspension.
Old 03-02-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,207 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Why aren’t bearings fastened down?

go see if these guys will get the answer for you

pointless to wonder why the car maker do or not do in a forum that do not have the engineer that designed it.

http://www.7thgenhonda.com/forum/index.php

https://honda-tech.com/
Old 03-02-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

^ it was not clear on your response if you were recommending or not.

poly bushings are a lot of work for very small gains for most drivers.
Old 03-02-2018
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

^ it was not clear on your response if you were recommending or not.

poly bushings are a lot of work for very small gains for most drivers.
I said I would suggest lowering springs and a rear sway bar. IMO those things were the best value for a suspension upgrade.
Old 03-02-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why aren’t bearings fastened down?

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER
I see. So it would just snap the pin and spin anyway?
If it melts or welds up and tries to lock itself to the spinning crankshaft, what happens?
If it happened at idle, it might shut the engine off and it's over.....but locking up at idle is as rare as hens teeth.

Whenever an engine destroys itself, 9 times out of 10 it's flying down the road one way or another. At speed, under load, when lube needs are the greatest.

Does that soft little bearing or a little hardened steel dowel pin have enough (strength) to bring all that spinning mass of a (4000+ RPM, 127 fire breathing horsepower) crankshaft, connecting rods, flywheel, clutch or converter, transmission, drivetrain, and complete car to a screeching halt?

Fk no. It's gonna rip something apart, whatever the weakest link is

Go back and reread the last line of the reply from RobertD again
Old 03-02-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Re: 2005 Civic strut bar

https://www.clubcivic.com/forum/thre...talled.188613/

you can see the oil dip stick - use as visual reference. quick search in internet yields answers faster than asking
Old 03-02-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hondaman4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

OK. Thank for the reply, D17vtecpower and sdaidoji.
I will definitely get a sway bar at the very least. I'm just curious to know, since it's the front suspension (Macphersons) in this generation that's to blame for the sub-par handling, how is it that a "remedy" is placed in the rear part of the car ?

BTW, isn't an anti-roll and anti-sway bar the same thing, or do they differ somehow?
Old 03-02-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

yes, they are the same, but sway is the wrong word - it defines a different dynamic of the car, but is the most used term in US. just somebody decided that sway is the one, and the others followed. Like when people call the shocks in a double-wishbone suspension a strut - strut refers to structural shocks, which is not the case in a double wishbone suspension - you remove the shocks and the suspension still holds its geometry in a double wishbone suspension, so shocks are not "structural" to the system. Or calling the adjustable height suspension a coilover (a McPherson suspension without the ability to adjust height is still a coil over.)

a lot of car dynamics are related to balance. so changing one end of the car affects the other end. the MacPherson is the root of the issue, so to compensate for that, change the rear. It would not be easy to change the front to a double wishbone, i mean.
Old 03-03-2018
Registered!!

OK, sdaidoji. Thanks for the reply and the explanation. I find it really interesting how a fix applied to the rear suspension can actually affect how a car handles even though you'd think it's the front suspension that should be addressed. Physics and the weird way they work.

Also, people spelling it McPherson, when it's actually Macpherson strut.
Old 03-03-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

No it doesn’t interfere with adding or checking oil. Google image search Neuspeed Strut Bar EM2 and check it out. When I had it installed I don’t remember it causing an issue.
Old 03-03-2018
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Get yourself a good set of summer tires too. They will transform the car very quickly even without an suspension upgrades.
Old 03-03-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
Get yourself a good set of summer tires too. They will transform the car very quickly even without an suspension upgrades.
Thanks. Yeah I've read about this a few times already. I think the winter tires that I have on the car are contributing to the bad handling. They feel really hard (on the road) as if they were made of wood and they're too damn noisy too.

Any body can recommend a brand that's quiet and not too pricey ?
Old 03-03-2018
Registered!!

Sure. I have Energy Suspension poly bushings in the front control arms, which helped a little. I also have Godspeed Traction-S lowering springs, which helped a lot. I also have Energy Suspension bushings on the stock front sway bar, and I have an RSX-S 21MM sway bar in the back, which made a large difference in handling. That's about it for now, but I will be getting poly bushings for the rear suspension, and I will also be getting a rear camber kit to correct the camber since I lowered it. I will probably also get a front strut bar soon. I will let you know what improvements I notice when I do those upgrades. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
Oh. I missed this part of the reply. Only saw the second part of the reply ( if you're on a budget I'd suggest getting a used RSX....).
Do the Energy Suspension bushings help on the front sway bar? Are they hard to install ?
Old 03-03-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Hondaman4ever
Oh. I missed this part of the reply. Only saw the second part of the reply ( if you're on a budget I'd suggest getting a used RSX....).
Do the Energy Suspension bushings help on the front sway bar? Are they hard to install ?
I noticed a small improvement in steering response, and they are cheap and easy to install. I think they were about $12, and they took about 20 minutes to install. However, my bushings were worn out, so the improvement was probably from new bushings more than the bushings being poly.
Old 03-03-2018
Registered!!

Thanks. Yeah I've read about this a few times already. I think the winter tires that I have on the car are contributing to the bad handling. They feel really hard (on the road) as if they were made of wood and they're too damn noisy too.

Very true. Tires are the most important part of the car. I would check out TireRack's reviews. Far too much to cover in a short post.
Old 03-03-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,159 Likes on 807 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Neuspeed bar sits damn near against the firewall. The one I sold had rub marks on the backside where it contacted the plastic hood cowling

You do have to bend the clutch fluid reservoir out of the way tho
Old 03-03-2018
Registered!!

Winter tires, especially crappy ones, will certainly ruin your handling. I'd suggest getting a nice set of tires before any suspension upgrades. I can't remember how wide you can go on stock 6 inch rims, but wider tires will help too. I had 225 tires on my 7 inch rims with no problems. I also found that my steering feels more precise and responsive running a few PSI more air in my tires too.
Old 03-03-2018
Registered!!

OK, sdaidoji. Thanks for the reply and the explanation. I find it really interesting how a fix applied to the rear suspension can actually affect how a car handles even though you'd think it's the front suspension that should be addressed. Physics and the weird way they work.

Also, people spelling it McPherson, when it's actually Macpherson strut.
sdaidoji is 100% correct as always. A bigger rear sway bar reduces understeer by changing the balance.
Old 03-03-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Water pipe and a welder! Build your own!

Old 03-03-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Winter tires, especially crappy ones, will certainly ruin your handling. I'd suggest getting a nice set of tires before any suspension upgrades. I can't remember how wide you can go on stock 6 inch rims, but wider tires will help too. I had 225 tires on my 7 inch rims with no problems. I also found that my steering feels more precise and responsive running a few PSI more air in my tires too.
225 have been reported to rub on fenders, especially at the rear. Depends on tire, wheel, suspension setup, but most cases it will rub
Old 03-03-2018
Registered!!

No it doesn’t interfere with adding or checking oil. Google image search Neuspeed Strut Bar EM2 and check it out. When I had it installed I don’t remember it causing an issue.
Sold. How do I buy it?
Old 03-03-2018
Registered!!

225 have been reported to rub on fenders, especially at the rear. Depends on tire, wheel, suspension setup, but most cases it will rub
225 wide tires didn't rub on anything with my setup.
Old 03-03-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Neuspeed bar sits damn near against the firewall. The one I sold had rub marks on the backside where it contacted the plastic hood cowling

You do have to bend the clutch fluid reservoir out of the way tho
Yes, I looked up pictures. It doesn't look like it interferes with getting to anything really.
Old 03-03-2018
Registered!!

Re: Strut bars?

Now that I have ordered a Neuspeed front strut bar, should I get a rear strut bar too? Would I notice any improvements?
Old 03-03-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

I explained that on link above, where there are also multiple links to to other threads
Old 03-03-2018
Prelude Owner

Originally Posted by ezone
Water pipe and a welder! Build your own!

This is actually my plan with my Fit possibly lol. Not for a strut tower because of the stupid cowl but maybe a rear sway. Its a solid rear beam but it would be fun to try even if it didn't help much.

Sold. How do I buy it?
Once I find a box I will PM you my PayPal info so you can send the money.

Yes that's right about the clutch resevoir but with a slushbox its ok
Old 03-03-2018
Registered!!

I explained that on link above, where there are also multiple links to to other threads
Ok thank you.
Old 03-03-2018
Registered!!

This is actually my plan with my Fit possibly lol. Not for a strut tower because of the stupid cowl but maybe a rear sway. Its a solid rear beam but it would be fun to try even if it didn't help much.

Yes that's right about the clutch resevoir but with a slushbox its ok
Ok, sounds good. Thank you!
Old 03-03-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,159 Likes on 807 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

When I shipped mine, I had to make a box from scrap boxes and lots of packing tape. Just giving you a heads up
Old 03-03-2018
Prelude Owner

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
When I shipped mine, I had to make a box from scrap boxes and lots of packing tape. Just giving you a heads up
Thanks! Maybe I will just focus on that then rather then trying to find one. If I order one for the Fit Ill have a box

Do you still want a rear camber kit as well OP? I know you wanted poly bushings but I dont think they make rear camber arms with poly bushings do they?

Quick Reply: D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave