View Poll Results: Will polishing the inside of an intake manifold improve performance?
Yes, it will improve performance
0%
No, it won’t do anything at all
100.00%
No, it will reduce performance
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: High RPM on the highway

I can't predict the future, man.
The ECM or PCM limits the maximum engine RPM so it won't hurt itself, by design

The engine is designed to run from idle to redline and do it all day long.
The vast majority will do this without fail.
Those are the good ones
Old 02-26-2018
Registered!!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ezone
I can't predict the future, man.
The ECM or PCM limits the maximum engine RPM so it won't hurt itself, by design

The engine is designed to run from idle to redline and do it all day long.
The vast majority will do this without fail.
Those are the good ones
I guess if the engine fails from this, it probably was not very healthy anyway.
Old 02-26-2018
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dsm482 has a spectacular aura aboutdsm482 has a spectacular aura about

let it sing, and see the music of our soul) end result
Old 02-26-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can I “regear” my transmission?

Instead.......Fix the trans that won't upshift to 4th
Old 02-27-2018
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Instead.......Fix the trans that won't upshift to 4th
I'm still diagnosing that issue. I'm just wondering if it's possible to regear my transmission when I replace it.
Old 02-27-2018
Registered!!

Homemade waterless wash spray

I got sick of paying for waterless wash spray, so I decided to make my own. What I did is I found an empty spray bottle, washed it out, and mixed 1 ounce of Meguiars Ultimate Wash And Wax with 16 ounces of distilled water and I put it in the spray bottle. You may be able to use faucet water, but I chose distilled water because I didn’t know if faucet water would leave streaks. I tried this homemade waterless wash on my filthy car, and it works great. I just spray a section, and wipe it off with a microfiber towel. I tried it on the rest of the car, and it it worked perfectly. It doesn’t leave any streaks, and it’s easy to use. Anyway, I just wanted to share my discovery with everyone in case they are buying expensive waterless wash spray to clean their car.
Old 02-27-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER
I guess if the engine fails from this, it probably was not very healthy anyway.
This is why I inquired if you followed clearance specs when you rebuilt the engine. May or may not be the issue but by not doing so... it's a guess to the effect of it's current condition.
Old 02-27-2018

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Homemade waterless wash spray

I've been using a 10 (distilled water) to 1 (vinegar) spray for the past couple years for almost daily hard water sprinkler spots.
Use a spray on wax once every two weeks. No garage...condo life.
Old 02-27-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong

This is why I inquired if you followed clearance specs when you rebuilt the engine. May or may not be the issue but by not doing so... it's a guess to the effect of it's current condition.
I think the engine would have failed by now if it was going to. I didn’t have much time to do the rebuild, since the engine blew up. I didn’t have a way to check clearances and I didn’t have time or money to have a machine shop do it, so I don’t know what the clearances are. However, the engine runs very well and doesn’t make any unusual noises. I even pulled a U Haul trailer that weighed over 2500 pounds over 500 miles with this car when I moved, and the car pulled it no problem. I hit the rev limiter many times when flooring it, and nothing broke yet, so I don’t have any reason to believe that the clearances are out of spec.
Old 02-27-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong
I've been using a 10 (distilled water) to 1 (vinegar) spray for the past couple years for almost daily hard water sprinkler spots.
Use a spray on wax once every two weeks. No garage...condo life.
Interesting. I would think that vinegar would strip the wax. I’m glad it works for you though!
Old 02-27-2018

I think the engine would have failed by now if it was going to
Not necessarily.....could be slightly out of spec that will cause gradual bearing wear and possible oil loss. Hopefully not the case but my point is..you have no way of knowing that because specs weren't confirmed.
Old 02-27-2018

Interesting. I would think that vinegar would strip the wax. I’m glad it works for you though!
It does and that's why I wax it often. There's a large oak tree near my parking space and dew, rain can drip from its' leaves for several hours that also leave calcium spots on my car...more so than from sprinklers.
Old 02-27-2018

There's a good chance you may not gain any fuel economy with your plan.
Old 02-27-2018
Registered!!

There's a good chance you may not gain any fuel economy with your plan.
Why wouldn’t running at a lower RPM on the highway save fuel? Wouldn’t running at 2000 RPM instead of 2500 RPM mean less losses? The faster the engine is spinning, the more energy is wasted from internal friction as the crankshaft spins, pistons go up and down, the valvetrain gets actuated, etc. There will also be more losses from spinning the oil pump, water pump, P/S pump, alternator, trans fluid pump, etc more times per mile. Can you please explain why I might not gain highway MPG from this plan? People on Ecomodder have gained MPG from regearing for lower cruising RPM.
Old 02-27-2018
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

i would be careful driving it at those speeds,

years ago i had a high revving issue like that (in a different vehicle) and all of a sudden cruising at 60mph the trans downshifted to first gear and nearly put my head through the windshield....thank god i had my seat belt on
Old 02-27-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

Why wouldn’t running at a lower RPM on the highway save fuel? Wouldn’t running at 2000 RPM instead of 2500 RPM mean less losses? The faster the engine is spinning, the more energy is wasted from internal friction as the crankshaft spins, pistons go up and down, the valvetrain gets actuated, etc. There will also be more losses from spinning the oil pump, water pump, P/S pump, alternator, trans fluid pump, etc more times per mile. Can you please explain why I might not gain highway MPG from this plan? People on Ecomodder have gained MPG from regearing for lower cruising RPM.
i'll take a shot at it.

on a 4cyl, the HP and TQ is pretty low at 2000 rpm compared to 2500rpm. because of this the 500 rpm drop, engine load to maintain speed will increase(lugging). it will require more air, fuel, and a higher throttle position to maintain speed

notice how much the graph climbs in that 500 rpm
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	112011
random 2012 civic turbo dyno just for illustration purposes

this is a screen grab showing how i have adjusted the spark table on my mustang.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	112010

notice how as load increases, spark decreases. if that 500rpm drop causes your load to increase from 10% to 30% to maintain speed, you're squirting more fuel and losing 10° of timing. you also must realize that the wasted energy spinning the oil pump, water pump, P/S pump, alternator, trans fluid pump, etc 500 measly rpm at 2500 is not causing a loss you could ever measure. if you deleted the spinning the oil pump, water pump, P/S pump, alternator, trans fluid pump, etc from the equation at 6500rpm you might free up what like 10hp? so at 2500 rpm vs 2000 rpm, the (maybe) 0.25hp difference is more than offset by the increased load.

personally i feel that some of the ecomodder crowd is a bit nuts, lies, etc, and that if your car would get better MPG at highway speed with the taller gear, honda would have built it that way. they are smarter than us. lowering the car a bit, lowering the front air dam, and adding more air to the tires would net you more economy. IMO. they post 80 mpg but at what cost? tailgating semi's, coasting and shutting off the car, rolling the last 400' at the grocery store with no power brakes before parking, etc.

besides, you deleted power steering already, so you should scratch that off the list. a power steering delete on my 92 mustang would only add 4hp at 6250 rpm and deleting the AC was not even measureable. i looked into it in my quest for speed

Last edited by RobertD; 02-27-2018 at 12:00 PM. Reason: i edit everything
Old 02-27-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by RobertD
i'll take a shot at it.

on a 4cyl, the HP and TQ is pretty low at 2000 rpm compared to 2500rpm. because of this the engine is seeing increased load. it will require more air, fuel, and a higher throttle position to maintain speed

notice how much the graph climbs in that 500 rpm
Attachment 112011
random 2012 civic turbo dyno just for illustration purposes

this is a screen grab showing how i have adjusted the spark table on my mustang.
Attachment 112010

notice how as load increases, spark decreases. if that 500rpm drop causes your load to increase from 10% to 30% to maintain speed, you're squirting more fuel and losing 10° of timing. you also must realize that the wasted energy spinning the oil pump, water pump, P/S pump, alternator, trans fluid pump, etc 500 measly rpm at 2500 is not causing a loss you could ever measure. if you deleted the spinning the oil pump, water pump, P/S pump, alternator, trans fluid pump, etc from the equation at 6500rpm you might free up what like 10hp? so at 2500 rpm vs 2000 rpm, the (maybe) 0.25hp difference is more than offset by the increased load.

personally i feel that some of the ecomodder crowd is a bit nuts, lies, etc, and that if your car would get better MPG at highway speed with the taller gear, honda would have built it that way. they are smarter than us. lowering the car a bit, lowering the front air dam, and adding more air to the tires would net you more economy. IMO
Great explanation, thank you. I agree that there will be increased load on the engine cruising at a lower RPM. However, I disagree that Honda would have put in a taller 4th gear if it would improve MPG. Efficiency isn’t their only concern. With such a weak engine to start with, most people probably wouldn’t be happy with throttle response if 4th gear was geared taller, among other things. I also disagree that losses from overcoming internal friction and spinning accessories isn’t significant. Just removing the alternator can improve gas mileage 5-10%. I’ve tested it. If you don’t believe that the load of the alternator is significant, just turn on your headlights at idle. You can hear the idle change from the headlights. Also, the power steering pump is a significant load too. I saw over a 1 MPG improvement in my gas mileage when I took my power steering system out. No idea how much power the oil and water pumps draw, but it’s probably measurable. As for the effect that internal friction has on fuel consumption, it’s quite significant. Even with the spark plugs out, turning the engine over takes a noticible amount of torque just from internal friction. I’ve heard that 20-30% of the fuel an engine uses is used to overcome internal friction, and I believe it. I agree that running higher pressure in the tires and lowering the car will improve mileage. I’ve done both of those things, and it did help slightly.
Old 02-27-2018

Just removing the alternator can improve gas mileage 5-10%
Enter: Hondas ELD charging system
No idea how much power the oil and water pumps draw, but it’s probably measurable.
Right. Just delete both of those and see how much further you can go.

BTW, Electric water pumps are a real thing these days.

As for the effect that internal friction has on fuel consumption, it’s quite significant. Even with the spark plugs out, turning the engine over takes a noticible amount of torque just from internal friction. I’ve heard that 20-30% of the fuel an engine uses is used to overcome internal friction, and I believe it.
Not just internal friction like parts that slide against each other....

It takes power to run an engine against the restriction of a throttle.
Remove the throttle valve restriction and they can gain efficiency

These days EGR is mainly used to reduce pumping losses
There is more than one method engineers can use to attain EGR effect too.
Old 02-27-2018
Registered!!

Enter: Hondas ELD charging system
Right. Just delete both of those and see how much further you can go.

BTW, Electric water pumps are a real thing these days.

Not just internal friction like parts that slide against each other....

It takes power to run an engine against the restriction of a throttle.
Remove the throttle valve restriction and they can gain efficiency.

These days EGR is mainly used to reduce pumping losses
There is more than one method engineers can use to attain EGR effect too.
Very true. More load means the throttle would be open more, so less pumping losses. Great point.
Old 02-27-2018

Very true. More load means the throttle would be open more, so less pumping losses. Great point.
But as already stated (did he actually say that???), in the case of you wanting to re-gear for lower highway RPM, you would drop the engine out of its powerband and that would likely negate any possible gains in fuel economy.

If you could build to seriously raise engine torque at such a low RPM, you might be on to something..... But I don't see a D17 doing that, sooooooo

/pipe dream
Old 02-28-2018
Registered!!

But as already stated (did he actually say that???), in the case of you wanting to re-gear for lower highway RPM, you would drop the engine out of its powerband and that would likely negate any possible gains in fuel economy.

If you could build to seriously raise engine torque at such a low RPM, you might be on to something..... But I don't see a D17 doing that, sooooooo

/pipe dream
Thanks for explaining. You’re right, my little D17 doesn’t have much low end torque, and I decided to not put any more money into this engine besides to maintain it and keep it going. This car is getting a K swap eventually, and the D17 from this car is going in my white Civic when I do a K swap.
Old 03-01-2018
Registered!!

NOT happy with DC Sports!

I found a used DC Sports 4-1 header in like new condition for $25. However, it cracked in more than 1 place 3 months later. I called DC Sports, and I asked them if this is covered under warranty. I was very clear that the header is used, and he said it’s still covered under warranty even though it’s used as long as I have a valid receipt, which I do, since it should not have cracked either way. He asked me to send pictures, so I pulled the header off and sent several pictures of the cracks. He then said that I must be the original owner of the header for it to be covered under warranty, which I understand. What I’m NOT okay with is that he said that he said it’s covered under warranty after I was 100% upfront with him that the header is used. So his mistake, misinformation, lie, whatever you want to call it caused me to spend the time taking the header off to get pictures, emailing him the pictures, and then getting told that this isn’t covered under warranty, causing me to have to put the header back on. I emailed him back 2 times to let them know that I’m not happy and I would appreciate them making this right. No response. If he just told me from the start that it wasn’t covered under warranty, I wouldn’t be mad. I’m mad because he gave me incorrect information, causing me to waste my time pulling the header off to get pictures, emailing the pictures to him, and then having to put the header back on, after he ignored 2 emails expressing my dissatisfaction. So if anyone is considering buying a DC Sports product, you may want to reconsider buying from them since they clearly have no integrity.
Old 03-01-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough
Re: NOT happy with DC Sports!

i ASSume he thought you meant "used" by you since new, which is what i thought until i read your post again. i wouldn't warranty it either. header warranties are usually VERY specific

i'd be more interested to know why did they crack? is it a chinese knock off? do you cruise lean or have a lean bias on the hego's to increase MPG? missing brackets that take stress off the flange? bottom out a lot from being lowered? flimsy engine mounts? header used on a new engine during breakin?

IMO headers are disposable. i voided my BBK warranty and i haven't even used them yet. with how i butchered mine and with the way i have my o2's set for lean bias, i'll be shocked if mine aren't cracked in a year.

i understand the feeling though, when my radiator sprung a leak AFCO voided the lifetime warranty on my racing radiator warranty because i used antifreeze.
Old 03-01-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by RobertD
i ASSume he thought you meant "used" by you since new, which is what i thought until i read your post again. i wouldn't warranty it either. header warranties are usually VERY specific

i'd be more interested to know why did they crack? is it a chinese knock off? do you cruise lean or have a lean bias on the hego's to increase MPG? missing brackets that take stress off the flange? bottom out a lot from being lowered? flimsy engine mounts? header used on a new engine during breakin?

IMO headers are disposable. i voided my BBK warranty and i haven't even used them yet. with how i butchered mine and with the way i have my o2's set for lean bias, i'll be shocked if mine aren't cracked in a year.

i understand the feeling though, when my radiator sprung a leak AFCO voided the lifetime warranty on my racing radiator warranty because i used antifreeze.
I specifically told him that I bought it used, but it was in like new condition. It cracked at the collector first, then it cracked at one of the tubes by the collector. It recently cracked half way around one of the tubes where it connects to the flange where it bolts to the head. Also, I don’t know why it cracked. I guess it cracked because it is poorly made or defective. It’s not a knockoff. It isn’t missing brackets, the D17A2 doesn’t have a bracket to hold the header to the motor. This engine actually runs a little rich, so that’s not it. I have never bottomed out, it’s only lowered 1.5 inches. Also, I never used this header to break in an engine. Also, that’s stupid to void the warranty on a radiator because you used antifreeze. They’d probably void the warranty if you didn’t use antifreeze too. When some jelious scumbag stuck a knife through my Mishimoto racing radiator, I was completely upfront with them, and I asked if they could do anything. Amazingly, they quickly shipped me a new radiator no questions asked! Awesome customer service!
Old 03-01-2018
Registered!!

i would assume if it cracked there, it's due to rapid cooling. snow, water, hitting it repeatedly, etc.. the quenching makes it brittle and the tubes grow/shrink/change temperature faster than the thicker welds around them. either way though, that sucks it cracked.

pretty cool about the radiator. i'll have to try the mishimoto if i can't get my radiator fixed locally. i spent so much time getting the fan wired up with no zip ties and trimmed it's shroud to perfectly fit that specific radiator. the right side tank leaks where the tubes fit in.
made a thread about the build. to see the pics you need the photo bucket fixed installed in your browser. http://sbftech.com/index.php?topic=36684.0
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	112020  
Old 03-01-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

?

I understood your post as saying it was used, but not specifically if it was bought used from another person.

So if anyone is considering buying a DC Sports product, you may want to reconsider buying from them since they clearly have no integrity.
above statement shouldn't matter for the person that actually bought it new - so this thread will not matter to who bought it new, only to who bought it used from another person...
Old 03-01-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
?

I understood your post as saying it was used, but not specifically if it was bought used from another person.

above statement shouldn't matter for the person that actually bought it new - so this thread will not matter to who bought it new, only to who bought it used from another person...
Possibly, but in my opinion, if a company makes a POS that failed and then lies about it being covered under warranty after wasting the person's time removing it to get pictures, and then ignoring the person's emails when they are upset at the company, I don't think that company has very good customer service, and I am understandably not happy about it.
Old 03-01-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: 2005 Civic strut bar

Cool. How much do you want for it?
How about $80 shipped?
Old 03-01-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

So.. you have it on record (email) that the dude said even if you were the second owner, they'll cover it under warranty? I personally would have brought up that little tidbit of information, not just leave it at that. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-01-2018

You only spent $25?

"USED" can mean different things to different people. Used at first glance means it's not new, and the guy on the other end of the phone expects a claim on a part that has been in use.
I must be the original owner of the header for it to be covered under warranty, which I understand
AND you SAY you understand that?

So his mistake, misinformation, lie,
Person took your explanation at face value as HE understood it, but still told you warranty only applies to the original purchaser.

You are not the original purchaser!

No warranty, no matter.
You're only out $25.
Quitcherbitchin!

NEXT!

Why didn't you take pictures with the header bolted to the engine? Why did you bother to bolt the broken header back on? Why didn't you buy a brand new one to replace it....that comes with a full warranty that applies to the original purchaser??

Quick Reply: D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave