View Poll Results: Will polishing the inside of an intake manifold improve performance?
Yes, it will improve performance
0%
No, it won’t do anything at all
100.00%
No, it will reduce performance
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: NOT happy with DC Sports!

Originally Posted by ezone
You only spent $25?

"USED" can mean different things to different people. Used at first glance means it's not new, and the guy on the other end of the phone expects a claim on a part that has been in use.
AND you SAY you understand that?

Person took your explanation at face value as HE understood it,[B] but still told you warranty only applies to the original purchaser.
That was my train of thought at first. Then I saw where he mentioned the previous conversation
I was very clear that the header is used, and he said it’s still covered under warranty even though it’s used as long as I have a valid receipt, which I do, since it should not have cracked either way. He asked me to send pictures, so I pulled the header off and sent several pictures of the cracks. He then said that I must be the original owner of the header for it to be covered under warranty, which I understand.
The two bolded parts is what he's not happy about. The fact that OP said "which I understand" after all was said and done, I don't get. I get the frustration, if someone previously gave me those contradictory lines, I'd throw it back in their face. That said, throw it back in their face if you really care. Then judge their customer service. Don't leave it at a one and done deal and bitch about it the entire time after.

You only spent $25?
Okay, seriously OP, you only spent $25? I would've cut my losses and moved on. $25 is nothing worth getting all bent out of shape about. Considering you were talking about spending an absurd amount of cash on "lightweight nuts" for your valve adjustments nuts to gain a fraction of a fraction of a horsepower not too long ago, I think you need to rethink your financial priorities. You got so much stuff wrong with your car, but you're modding to hell. Fix > preventive maintenance > mod. That's the pecking order in which you should be spending money.
Old 03-02-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: NOT happy with DC Sports!

New DC Headers = $300
Used “like new” DC headers = $25

Mmm, that’s an awe fully good price.

Must have been a very generous person!
Old 03-02-2018
Registered!!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough
Why no long tube headers?

I am wondering why no one makes a long tube header for the D17A2. I can’t see any reason why no one could make a long tube header. It would make more power, even though maybe only a few horsepower. So is there some reason why no one makes long tube headers?
Old 03-02-2018
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Why no long tube headers?

probably because there is zero demand for it,

companies only mass produce items they are SURE they are going to sell a lot of
Old 03-02-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

since i see you as a bit of an eco-nut(politely), i'mn curious why you would want one. you'll be losing low rpm power in exchange for high rpm power.

last time i went with 1-3/4 full length headers on my ford beater. now that i'm a bit older i went with 1-5/8 shorty equal lengths, part of the reason is i've added more power than i need, and i'd like to shift a little more power to the lower rpm range. and hopefully it translates to a little bit better fuel economy. having the o2's closer to the engine also makes them last longer as they get more heat + faster air passing by, and therefore stay cleaner.

charts here comparing small vs large tube and short vs long tube
https://www.sandersonheaders.com/let...technical.html
Old 03-02-2018
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by RobertD
since i see you as a bit of an eco-nut(politely), i'mn curious why you would want one. you'll be losing low rpm power in exchange for high rpm power.

last time i went with 1-3/4 full length headers on my ford beater. now that i'm a bit older i went with 1-5/8 shorty equal lengths, part of the reason is i've added more power than i need, and i'd like to shift a little more power to the lower rpm range. and hopefully it translates to a little bit better fuel economy. having the o2's closer to the engine also makes them last longer as they get more heat + faster air passing by, and therefore stay cleaner.

charts here comparing small vs large tube and short vs long tube
https://www.sandersonheaders.com/let...technical.html
Awesome info, thanks. I must have misunderstood. I thought headers with long, narrow tubes generally made more low end torque, and headers with short, wide tubes generally made more top end power? Also, why do you consider me an “eco nut”? I’m not offended, I’m just curious.
Old 03-02-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER
Also, why do you consider me an “eco nut”? I’m not offended, I’m just curious.
i think because i'm new here, and the first thread of yours i saw was about you wanting to go through all the trouble to re-gear a trans attempting to lower the rpm by 500. (: jusy fyi i think if i wanted to do that, i'd probably get taller tires and then have a custom converter with a slight stall of about 200-300rpm above stock to increase 1,2,3 performance, but retain the lockup function
Old 03-02-2018
Registered!!

i think because i'm new here, and the first thread of yours i saw was about you wanting to go through all the trouble to re-gear a trans attempting to lower the rpm by 500. (: jusy fyi i think if i wanted to do that, i'd probably get taller tires and then have a custom converter with a slight stall of about 200-300rpm above stock to increase 1,2,3 performance, but retain the lockup function
Welcome to the forum! We’re glad to have you here! BTW, I’m not really an eco nut. I was just curious what would happen and if I even could. I’ll give you +1 rep since you’re being helpful!
Old 03-02-2018
Registered!!

Why aren’t bearings fastened down?

I recently started wondering why cam, crank and rod bearings are not fastened down so they can’t spin. If the bearings just had a peg on the back and the bearing cap had a hole, spun bearings would physically not be possible since the peg would be holding it in place. So why don’t car companies do it? Just because it would be more expensive?
Old 03-02-2018
Registered!!

Re: Why aren’t bearings fastened down?

there is a dimple in the bearing and the cap that lines things up and helps it line up and not spin
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	112022

then there is bearing crush. the bearing is bigger than the hole it fits into. when torqued the crush makes locks it together tightly. i'm showing it exaggerated here but this one actually measures 0.0075" taller than the flat on the cap before you tighten it
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	112023

and also bearings go in clean and DRY on the backside, which also prevents them from spinning. that bearing in the picture has had 70k miles of pure abuse, yet when i removed it, the back is still dry and still has no oil on it. i think a lot of people screw this up and lube the backs

besides if that bearing did not spin when required to, what would the outcome be? would the crank snap? would the rod twist like a pretzel? scary to think about.
Old 03-02-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

There are no cam bearings to spin.

All other typical bearings have a tab on one end to prevent spinning. It's cheap, it works great, it's reliable AF, and it's been this way for eons.

If a bearing "spins", 99% of the time it's because of an underlying lubrication problem.
That means it is NOT the fault of the bearing, the journal, whatever is spinning in the bearing, nor the engineers that specified this type of bearing for the application

BTW some engines DO use pinned bearings.

You should go to engineer school so you can design a few engines for a major player in the industry
Old 03-02-2018
Registered!!

there is a dimple in the bearing and the cap that lines things up and helps it line up and not spin
Attachment 112022

then there is bearing crush. the bearing is bigger than the hole it fits into. when torqued the crush makes locks it together tightly. i'm showing it exaggerated here but this one actually measures 0.0075" taller than the flat on the cap before you tighten it
Attachment 112023

and also bearings go in clean and DRY on the backside, which also prevents them from spinning. that bearing in the picture has had 70k miles of pure abuse, yet when i removed it, the back is still dry and still has no oil on it. i think a lot of people screw this up and lube the backs

besides if that bearing did not spin when required to, what would the outcome be? would the crank snap? would the rod twist like a pretzel? scary to think about.
I thought those tabs were the only thing holding the bearings in place. I didn’t realize that the clamping force is mostly what was holding the bearings in place. However, wouldn’t a peg on the back of each bearing that fits into a hole in the cap completely eliminate the chance of it spinning?
Old 03-02-2018
Registered!!

All other typical bearings have a tab on one end to prevent spinning. It's cheap, it works great, it's reliable AF, and it's been this way for eons.

If a bearing "spins", 99% of the time it's because of an underlying lubrication problem.
That means it is NOT the fault of the bearing, the journal, whatever is spinning in the bearing, nor the engineers that specified this type of bearing for the application

You should go to engineer school so you can design a few engines for a major player in the industry
I understand that these engines don’t have cam bearings. I was saying generally. I also understand that bearings don’t usually spin unless there is another problem. However, to me, pinned bearings seem like a good idea as a precaution. Even though bearings don’t usually spin, what’s the harm in eliminating another possible cause for engine failure? How many pinned bearings have you heard of that spun? Probably zero.
Old 03-02-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

However, wouldn’t a peg on the back of each bearing that fits into a hole in the cap completely eliminate the chance of it spinning?
The tabs on typical bearing shells are plenty adequate to prevent this.
Old 03-02-2018
Registered!!

I understand that these engines don’t have cam bearings. I was saying generally. I also understand that bearings don’t usually spin unless there is another problem. However, to me, pinned bearings seem like a good idea as a precaution. Even though bearings don’t usually spin, what’s the harm in eliminating another possible cause for engine failure? How many pinned bearings have you heard of that spun? Probably zero.
Old 03-02-2018

How many pinned bearings have you heard of that spun? Probably zero.
You seem to have no idea just how much damage can be done when an engine runs out of oil.......
Old 03-02-2018
Registered!!

You seem to have no idea just how much damage can be done when an engine runs out of oil.......
I know first hand actually.
Old 03-02-2018

I know first hand actually.
So what would you expect to happen to a pinned bearing when it runs out of lubrication?
Old 03-02-2018
Registered!!

So what would you expect to happen to a pinned bearing when it runs out of lubrication?
The bearing would obviously still get destroyed, but at least it wouldn’t spin and destroy the rods or main bearing caps. The crankshaft may not get damaged as bad either.

Old 03-02-2018
Registered!!

Re: 2005 Civic strut bar

Originally Posted by GolNat
How about $80 shipped?
I could probably do that. Sorry for the dumb question, but will it interfere with checking or adding oil? A friend has a strut bar on his EM2 and he has to remove it every time he needs to remove it every time he has to either check or add engine oil. I don’t remember the brand. That would be a dealbreaker for me though.
Old 03-02-2018
Registered!!

Hondaman4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Should I upgrade my front sway bar? Poll

I am considering upgrading my front sway bar, but I’m not sure if I should maybe get a front strut bar instead. The car handles great as is, but I’m never satisfied with anything LOL. The front sway bar is a 16MM, and the rear is a 21MM bar. I liked the result of upgrading the rear sway bar, thanks for the suggestion guys. For $77 and 30 minutes of my time, I’m quite happy with the results. With the bigger rear sway bar, the car feels noticeably more stable, and it doesn’t seem to be affected by the wind blowing at it as much. I liked the results of the larger sway bar enough that I am now considering installing a larger front sway bar too, but I’m not sure if a larger front sway bar would help much. I would probably use an OEM RSX sway bar if I choose to upgrade it. Would you suggest upgrading the front sway bar too? I think it would be a good idea, but I’m not sure. Thanks for your help!
Yo D17, do you mind telling me what upgrades to the suspension you first did that made the car "handle great" ? My '03 is stock suspension and it sucks as you know, and I'm thinking about doing something to improve it a little. I don't want to do a whole lot of things but any improvement over what it is now would be nice.

Thanks.

Last edited by Hondaman4ever; 03-02-2018 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-02-2018

The bearing would obviously still get destroyed, but at least it wouldn’t spin and destroy the rods or main bearing caps. The crankshaft may not get damaged as bad either.

Incorrect IMO. It will still spin.
Want to know why it spins? Heat welding occurs after lubrication is lost.
Any time a bearing spins in a journal there is serious measurable damage to all parts involved on both sides (surfaces) of the bearing that spun.

If a bearing is actually pinned in place with a solid steel dowel, the shear forces encountered during a seizure are very likely to fracture the casting the (steel) dowel pin is located (drilled) in...and that makes whatever cast part that was (usually the engine block or case) unrepairable.
Old 03-02-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Regardless, what does it matter?

Too much spare time, go fix what is wrong with your car.
Old 03-02-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

O2 sensor positioning.

Did not even need to think for a second.

If you ever removed your header you would know.
Old 03-02-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Hondaman4ever
Yo D17, do you mind telling me what upgrades to the suspension you first did that made the car "handle great" ? My '03 is stock suspension and it sucks as you know, and I'm thinking about doing something to improve it a little. I don't want to do a whole lot of things but any improvement over what it is now would be nice.

Thanks.
Sure. I have Energy Suspension poly bushings in the front control arms, which helped a little. I also have Godspeed Traction-S lowering springs, which helped a lot. I also have Energy Suspension bushings on the stock front sway bar, and I have an RSX-S 21MM sway bar in the back, which made a large difference in handling. That's about it for now, but I will be getting poly bushings for the rear suspension, and I will also be getting a rear camber kit to correct the camber since I lowered it. I will also buy a Neuspeed front strut bar from GolNat very soon. I will let you know what improvements I notice when I do those upgrades. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Last edited by D17VTECPOWER; 03-03-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-02-2018
Registered!!

Thanks.
If you're on a budget, I would suggest getting a used RSX or RSX-S rear sway bar, as well as lowering springs to lower it a little. The used RSX-S sway bar was $75, and the lowering springs were $120. Those things will be the best upgrades for the money in my opinion.
Old 03-02-2018
Registered!!

Incorrect IMO. It will still spin.
Want to know why it spins? Heat welding occurs after lubrication is lost.
Any time a bearing spins in a journal there is serious measurable damage to all parts involved on both sides (surfaces) of the bearing that spun.

If a bearing is actually pinned in place with a solid steel dowel, the shear forces encountered during a seizure are very likely to fracture the casting the (steel) dowel pin is located (drilled) in...and that makes whatever cast part that was (usually the engine block or case) unrepairable.
I see. So it would just snap the pin and spin anyway?
Old 03-02-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
O2 sensor positioning.

Did not even need to think for a second.

If you ever removed your header you would know.
I did remove my header actually. I don't see why a 2 piece long tube header wouldn't be an option.
Old 03-02-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

pointless regardless and you seem to have a lot of spare time.

Mikey already answered your question.
Old 03-02-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Thanks.
ignore bushings - get the rear anti-roll bar.

details are in my signature links

Quick Reply: D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave