View Poll Results: Will polishing the inside of an intake manifold improve performance?
Yes, it will improve performance
0%
No, it won’t do anything at all
100.00%
No, it will reduce performance
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Do I need a camber kit?

Was the alignment shop able to align it back to factory spec? When I was dropped 1.5” I needed one in the rear to bring it back to factory specs. Negative camber is not a bad thing and it can help with dialing in the handling as you want. I gave my alignment shop the exact front and rear settings I want and they set it. I had adjustable arms in the rear and bolts in the front though.
Old 02-21-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: High RPM on the highway

Be ready for a transmission job
Old 02-21-2018
Registered!!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ezone
Be ready for a transmission job
Changing the transmission isn’t a big deal, I have an extra. But if the transmission was in 3rd gear when the PCM wants it in 4th gear, wouldn’t the PCM set a code by now? I drove it a couple hundred miles with this problem so far, so I would think it would have a code by now. The lack of codes makes me think that the PCM is keeping the trans in 3rd gear for some reason. As far as I know, the trans is either in the gear the PCM wants it in, or it sets a code.

Last edited by D17VTECPOWER; 02-21-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-21-2018
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by GolNat
Was the alignment shop able to align it back to factory spec? When I was dropped 1.5” I needed one in the rear to bring it back to factory specs. Negative camber is not a bad thing and it can help with dialing in the handling as you want. I gave my alignment shop the exact front and rear settings I want and they set it. I had adjustable arms in the rear and bolts in the front though.
I’m not sure if the camber is in spec. I didn’t get it aligned yet because I still need to do more work on the rear suspension first, because it’s in bad shape now thanks to a stupid mistake I made, among other things like broken bolts and such. Once I finish fixing the suspension, I don’t want to have it aligned, and then find out that the camber is way out of spec and I have to get it aligned a second time after I install a camber kit. On the other hand, I don’t want to waste money on a camber kit that I don’t need. What would you suggest I do?
Old 02-21-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Depends.

I have seen all sorts of trans failures that didn't set fault codes.
Old 02-21-2018
Registered!!

Depends.

I have seen all sorts of trans failures that didn't set fault codes.
Have you ever seen something this consistent and severe not set a code in a modern vehicle with OBD2? I know that these cars will set trans codes because the transmission in my 2004 Civic briefly slipped once when it was very low on fluid, and it set a P0730 code instantly, and the D4 light started flashing. So I know that these cars can set trans codes for very minor problems.
Old 02-21-2018

So I know that these cars can set trans codes for very minor problems.
They can totally ignore some major issues as well.

What could make the PCM think it shouldn't upshift to high gear? Where's your TPS voltage at? What about ECT?
What about trans data list, did you look yet?
Old 02-21-2018
Registered!!

They can totally ignore some major issues as well.

What could make the PCM think it shouldn't upshift to high gear? Where's your TPS voltage at? What about ECT?
What about trans data list, did you look yet?
I guess the PCM can ignore major issues then. Also, I s it OK to run the engine at 4000 RPM on the highway, or will it cause problems besides using more gas? The TPS reads 9 percent at idle and 92 percent at full throttle, which is normal. I didn’t check voltage yet. The coolant temp reads between 180 and 195, depending on conditions, which is also normal for this car. I’ll see if I can get trans data when I get back home. What else could make the PCM not upshift?
Old 02-21-2018

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER

I guess the PCM can ignore major issues then.
The PCM only detects what the engineers programmed it to detect.

The TPS reads 9 percent at idle and 92 percent at full throttle, which is normal. I didn’t check voltage yet. The coolant temp reads between 180 and 195, depending on conditions, which is also normal for this car.
Check data DURING a problem event.

What else could make the PCM not upshift?
What did a vacuum modulator do on old cars?

Wait, let me rephrase that whole thing. Think about what normal shifting is controlled by........RPM, throttle position, temperatures.... LOAD. Is there a major LOAD sensor input that is skewed, erroneous, inaccurate? (MAP high?)
Wouldn't a poorly running engine require extra throttle to maintain a given amount of power output? If the computer seen a bunch of throttle open input (and corresponding manifold vacuum drop) it's gonna think it needs to keep the RPM high because you're wanting extra power.......so it won't upshift or may upshift very late. Meanwhile you've only been flooring it because the engine has no power....

Not saying that's what is going on, just stuff to think about--how and why.
Computer: GIGO
Old 02-21-2018
Registered!!

The PCM only detects what the engineers programmed it to detect.

Check data DURING a problem event.

What did a vacuum modulator do on old cars?

Wait, let me rephrase that whole thing. Think about what normal shifting is controlled by........RPM, throttle position, temperatures.... LOAD. Is there a major LOAD sensor input that is skewed, erroneous, inaccurate? (MAP high?)
Wouldn't a poorly running engine require extra throttle to maintain a given amount of power output? If the computer seen a bunch of throttle open input (and corresponding manifold vacuum drop) it's gonna think it needs to keep the RPM high because you're wanting extra power.......so it won't upshift or may upshift very late. Meanwhile you've only been flooring it because the engine has no power....

Not saying that's what is going on, just stuff to think about--how and why.
Computer: GIGO
I see what you're saying about late shifts being caused by a sensor being off, or the engine running poorly. The TPS reads about 20% at a steady speed on the highway, and the engine runs perfect. The engine seems to have plenty of power too. Also, I tried to get it to shift, and it'll get to 5000 RPM at a steady speed and still not shift, even if I back off the gas. This is weird.
Old 02-21-2018
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Just buy one and put it on. It will be needed to go back to factory spec.

I have a used set for sale if your interested.
Old 02-21-2018
Registered!!

Just buy one and put it on. It will be needed to go back to factory spec.

I have a used set for sale if your interested.
What brand is your camber kit? Also, how much would you want for it?
Old 02-21-2018
Prelude Owner

Check here:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-arms-spc.html
Old 02-21-2018
Registered!!

Cool. Are the bushings rubber or poly? I can't tell from the pictures.
Old 02-21-2018
Prelude Owner

Rubber.
Old 02-21-2018
Registered!!

Rubber.
I'll think about it. $80 is a good price, but I wanted poly bushings. I may still buy it though, I'm not sure.
Old 02-21-2018

Is this the car with the high MAP value and running rich?
Old 02-21-2018
Registered!!

Is this the car with the high MAP value and running rich?
Yes, but the MAP readings hasn't changed since the transmission issue started, and I am not sure if the 1.1 volts I measured was accurate, since the POS multimeter I used to check the voltage died a couple days later.
Old 02-21-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Be interesting to see what the transmission does if you redline it in 3rd..
Old 02-21-2018

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Yea this

...From a standing start, floor it and don't let off the gas pedal....... and let it try to shift at redline in every gear.....If it flares between gears or slips in a gear it should show itself
Old 02-22-2018
Registered!!

Haha. I'll try it LOL. I think it would just hit the rev limiter once it maxes out 3rd gear, but I could be wrong.
Old 02-22-2018
Registered!!

Yea this

...From a standing start, floor it and don't let off the gas pedal....... and let it try to shift at redline in every gear.....If it flares between gears or slips in a gear it should show itself
I’m not going to try that today since it’s raining here, but I’ll try it and report back. I never mind !
Old 02-22-2018
Registered!!

Re: Rubber vs. poly bushings- A durability experiment

The results are in! I am having trouble getting the pictures to upload, so I need to figure that out. However, the rubber bushing got very mushy and sticky, and the polyurethane bushing was unaffected. Like I said, I’ll try to get the pictures to upload.
Old 02-22-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER
Haha. I'll try it LOL. I think it would just hit the rev limiter once it maxes out 3rd gear, but I could be wrong.
Just thinking even if the PCM is thinking your under too much load to shift while in third, it has no choice but to shift at redline.

If you do go past redline and hit rev limit then you know it’s a bad tranny, if it shifts there hopefully is only a bad sensor input.
Old 02-22-2018
Registered!!

Just thinking even if the PCM is thinking your under too much load to shift while in third, it has no choice but to shift at redline.

If you do go past redline and hit rev limit then you know it’s a bad tranny, if it shifts there hopefully is only a bad sensor input.
I don’t think that the transmission is bad, I think the PCM may be bad and not shifting the transmission. A few months ago, it was setting a P0600 and P0602 code, but it hasn’t done that in a while. The PCM in this thing has done some strange things in the past...
Old 02-22-2018
Registered!!

Will driving without power steering damage the rack?

I don’t have power steering on my 2005 Civic. I took the system out 3 years ago when the pump died, and I don’t mind not having power steering. However, I heard that the rack will be damaged by not having power steering because way more force Is required to steer the car, and I also heard that the rack can be damaged if you drive without fluid in it. Is any of this true? Thanks.
Old 02-22-2018

Re: Will driving without power steering damage the rack?

Old 02-22-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,207 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Will driving without power steering damage the rack?

The force is stronger in the power steering than in you, padawan
Old 02-23-2018
Registered!!

UPDATE- If I reset the PCM by disconnecting the battery, the transmission shifts fine for about 5 minutes. After that, it downshifts to 3rd gear and won't upshift to 4th gear unless I reset it again. What does this mean?
Old 02-23-2018

Got fault codes, maybe try a different code reader?

If you think it's a pcm problem.....Swap PCM (and immobilizer) from your other car as a test?

Quick Reply: D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave