View Poll Results: Will polishing the inside of an intake manifold improve performance?
Yes, it will improve performance
0%
No, it won’t do anything at all
100.00%
No, it will reduce performance
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018
Registered!!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough
Re: Strange vibration from engine

Originally Posted by RobertD
why do you think that? does it wobble when you watch it spin?
Yes I just checked, and it does vibrate. Also, to me, a rotating object that's out of balance seems like the most likely thing to cause a vibration in a specific RPM range. Maybe I'll take it off and see if the vibration goes away.
Old 04-10-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jearhart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER
Yes I just checked, and it does vibrate. Also, to me, a rotating object that's out of balance seems like the most likely thing to cause a vibration in a specific RPM range. Maybe I'll take it off and see if the vibration goes away.
Does it vibrate with the engine? I would check the motor mounts before changing the balancer. I had one go out that was causing my clutch to chatter when shifting.
Old 04-10-2018
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jearhart

Does it vibrate with the engine? I would check the motor mounts before changing the balancer. I had one go out that was causing my clutch to chatter when shifting.

The motor mounts are good, and yes, the engine vibrates.
Old 04-11-2018
Registered!!

UPDATE: The rubber piece inside the harmonic balancer was broken. I need to get a new one I guess. My question is should I get an OEM replacement, or a lightweight aluminium one?
Old 04-11-2018
Registered!!

Mods for better AC performance

The AC in my car sucks at idle, it always did. So I came up with a list of mods to possibly improve the performance of the system. Here are my ideas:

1. Window tint- While not technically an AC mod, reducing the sunlight entering the car will reduce the heat load on the system, making it easier for it to cool the car. This is a cheap and easy mod too.

2. Insulate low pressure AC lines- I did this a couple of years ago, and it worked. My AC was 2 degrees colder at idle. Not a huge improvement, but it was a cheap and easy mod.

3. Hydrocarbon refrigerant- It is a well known fact that charging the system with hydrocarbon refrigerants, like Duracool, can significantly improve the system’s performance. However, it’s flammable.

4. Better cooling fans- Installing stronger cooling fans to pull more air through the condenser should improve the system’s performance at idle. As an added benefit, the AC system will last longer because it will run cooler and at lower pressures.

So which of these mods would you do if you wanted better AC?
Old 04-11-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

i would rather have a damper to help with bearing life more than i'd want a pulley that adds 2hp at 6500rpm.

is this failure possibly related to your recent alternator pulley enlargement?
Old 04-11-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by RobertD
i would rather have a damper to help with bearing life more than i'd want a pulley that adds 2hp at 6500rpm.

is this failure possibly related to your recent alternator pulley enlargement?
Thanks. And as for what caused the failure, I think it’s just age. Time and heat cycles degrade rubber. If anything, I think the failure was probably caused by all the oil leaks this thing has. I don’t see how the failure could be caused by a smaller alternator pulley.
Old 04-11-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

I never noticed there was rubber on that thing.
Old 04-11-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
I never noticed there was rubber on that thing.
Yup, there’s a rubber ring.
Old 04-11-2018
Registered!!

Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Well that kinda sucks as a used oem one would likely be better than a generic new one.

New oem on hondapartsnow is like $115

Not a lot to spend to get rid of a noticeable vibration.
Old 04-11-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Well that kinda sucks as a used oem one would likely be better than a generic new one.

New oem on hondapartsnow is like $115

Not a lot to spend to get rid of a noticeable vibration.
Would a Dorman for $40 be okay?
Old 04-11-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,130 Likes on 944 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Would a Dorman for $40 be okay?
I doubt it would last long, might last a week, might last a couple years
Old 04-11-2018
Registered!!

Dorman would have use top quality steel and rubber and have it precision balanced and perfectly machined to match OEM.

Have you compared any of their other metal parts to OEM? Engine mounts? Control arms?
Old 04-12-2018
Registered!!

Ol Mans 91 LX is an unknown quantity at this point

Cant seem to find a 56990-pm3-y01 in Dorman Slumpertcivic. I am really in need of this as well.................Did anyone find this thing?
Old 04-12-2018
Super Moderator

Received 1,871 Likes on 1,316 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

If you really want to use the Dorman brand I believe you can order it at Autozone.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-10119-594-192.aspx
Old 04-12-2018
Registered!!

Straight from that site..
  • Ease of installation with Dorman’s Harmonic Balancer Puller (594-999)
Well since the OEM one will fall off once the bolt is out, do you need a puller to put the Dorman in /smile..

Also very interesting they multiple times say it’s checked for size, but never do they state it’s balanced the same as oem.
Old 04-12-2018
Registered!!

Hoall is an unknown quantity at this point

I would go with the oem part. Depending upon the rest of your build, you probably won't notice any significant difference paying more for a lightweight performance part.
Old 04-13-2018
Registered!!

What’s holding back my sound quality?

Let me start by saying that I know very little about sound systems, so please forgive my ignorance. So here’s the problem: My 2005 Civic has a crappy sound system to say it the nicest way. I don’t care, but the lady wants a bit better sound quality. I’m just looking for clearer sound, not crazy loud. So my question is if the main reason for the poor sound quality is the radio or the speakers. So what would need to be upgraded: The radio, or the speakers? For that matter, would just upgrading the speaker wires help a little? Thanks, and again, sorry for my ignorance.
Old 04-13-2018
Super Moderator

BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Re: What’s holding back my sound quality?

What do you have in the car now? Is the head unit stock or aftermarket? Are the speakers stock or aftermarket?
Old 04-13-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
What do you have in the car now? Is the head unit stock or aftermarket? Are the speakers stock or aftermarket?
The entire sound system is stock.
Old 04-13-2018
Super Moderator

The entire sound system is stock.
With the stock speakers in my 02 and an aftermarket head unit the only difference I noticed was it was louder. I then noticed only one rear speaker worked and also found out both fronts had water damage and were somewhat blown out. I took all four speakers (and tweeters) out of an RSX Type S and swapped them in, that made a big difference in quality (mostly because mine were all damaged). Now though the head unit is unable to power all the speakers so it can't be turned up very loud. I'm planning on wiring in the RSX stock amp as well which should fix my issues.

So the first thing I would do is check all the speakers, make sure they aren't damaged and are working. If that doesn't do it for you you'll probably have to upgrade speakers and add a four channel amp to get any quality improvements.
Old 04-13-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
With the stock speakers in my 02 and an aftermarket head unit the only difference I noticed was it was louder. I then noticed only one rear speaker worked and also found out both fronts had water damage and were somewhat blown out. I took all four speakers (and tweeters) out of an RSX Type S and swapped them in, that made a big difference in quality (mostly because mine were all damaged). Now though the head unit is unable to power all the speakers so it can't be turned up very loud. I'm planning on wiring in the RSX stock amp as well which should fix my issues.

So the first thing I would do is check all the speakers, make sure they aren't damaged and are working. If that doesn't do it for you you'll probably have to upgrade speakers and add a four channel amp to get any quality improvements.
Thanks.
Old 04-13-2018
Registered!!

I bought a Pioneer media player to replace my stock unit as all my kids want to listen to is on their phones.

Once you crank it up any, you can hear multiple speakers are torn so that will be next project. Amazon has a Kenwood 6.5 and 6x9 set for under $70. Need to check on spacers and order some new clips because I am certain some will break

But definately start with new speakers.
Old 04-13-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,130 Likes on 944 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Buy a head unit and a set of front speakers, that will make a big difference.
You can buy rear speakers as well but its a huge pain to change them.
I have a JVC Bluetooth head unit and JVC speakers for the front. The sound quality is good and it will go plenty loud. I may change the rears at some point when I want to spend a day ripping apart the back of the car. Or maybe get a small 8" powered sub.
Old 04-14-2018
Registered!!

Sactocivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Mods for better AC performance

The 18 year old ac system in my car isn’t exactly up to snuff either. I started reading about Duracool last night. Seems interesting. Is it really more efficient than r134? Why isn’t it everywhere?
I’ll be tinting my windows this spring for sure, and probably doing some more troubleshooting with the temp probe to see if I can get the evaporator core any colder.
Old 04-14-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Sactocivic
The 18 year old ac system in my car isn’t exactly up to snuff either. I started reading about Duracool last night. Seems interesting. Is it really more efficient than r134? Why isn’t it everywhere?
I’ll be tinting my windows this spring for sure, and probably doing some more troubleshooting with the temp probe to see if I can get the evaporator core any colder.
Duracool really is much more efficient than R134A, and even a little more efficient than R12. It is non toxic and completely safe for the environment and for the system. However, it is made out of propane and butane, so it is very flammable. That's why it's not everywhere. You'd have to decide for yourself if the flammability is a safety hazard or not. If you want a safer solution, I'd look at 2 and 4 since there's no risk there.
Old 04-14-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

https://lifehacker.com/5823069/how-t...-like-interior

Video doesn't work anymore, and while not a mod, it helps cabin temps to make your a/c get cooler faster, so to speak. It does make a difference. Did it on a regular basis with these scorching hot Vegas summer days

Basically, what you do is take an extra minute before you get into your car and do this:
1) open one window or door (I always opened the passenger door).
2) walk over to the other door (driver's side in my case) and open and close it a good handful of times

found the video. it's in japanese, but easy to figure out. Skip to the 35s mark
Old 04-14-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

I live in mid-west Florida and as much as possible try to park under trees or coverage for shade. When those aren't available I use a sunshade to cover the windshield (dash/interior). I found on 5th and 6th gens that the ball valve on the inlet heater valve (near firewall) isn't always in the fully closed position when climate control is set at max cool. The screw on the ball valve's arm (that connects to the climate control cable) can loosen a bit causing the hole in the ball valve to get out of alignment.

On both a 5th gen and 6th gen I have removed the water inlet heater valve and ran tap water through it as I rotate the ball valve to the fully closed position to ensure it fully stops water flow. I then use this as the max closed position and set the arm + climate control "max cold" cable travel length accordingly. This usually effects the max heat setting (ball valve hole open) a bit..so potentially the heater may not get as hot compared to prior stock setting. However, in Florida a/c is more important than max heat. Also, the heater still works very well..just, not quite as well as before.
Old 04-14-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong
I live in mid-west Florida and as much as possible try to park under trees or coverage for shade. When those aren't available I use a sunshade to cover the windshield (dash/interior). I found on 5th and 6th gens that the ball valve on the inlet heater valve (near firewall) isn't always in the fully closed position when climate control is set at max cool. The screw on the ball valve's arm (that connects to the climate control cable) can loosen a bit causing the hole in the ball valve to get out of alignment.

On both a 5th gen and 6th gen I have removed the water inlet heater valve and ran tap water through it as I rotate the ball valve to the fully closed position to ensure it fully stops water flow. I then use this as the max closed position and set the arm + climate control "max cold" cable travel length accordingly. This usually effects the max heat setting (ball valve hole open) a bit..so potentially the heater may not get as hot compared to prior stock setting. However, in Florida a/c is more important than max heat. Also, the heater still works very well..just, not quite as well as before.
My heater control valve doesn't close, so I installed a ball valve on the heater hose to shut off the heater in the summer.
Old 04-14-2018
Registered!!

How do I convert to electric powered hydro pump on the steering??

My 2005 Civic has hydraulic power steering assist, and I would like to convert to electric. I am thinking that I might just find some way to rig an electric motor to spin the pump. Do you have any ideas on how to do this? Thanks.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-14-2018 at 04:23 PM. Reason: EPS is electric powered steering. A electric powered pump is really not EPS

Quick Reply: D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave