camshaft question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cmiller_01ex has a spectacular aura aboutcmiller_01ex has a spectacular aura about
camshaft question.

i am wanting to put a camshaft in my car. i want to do one soon but i also want to turbo in the future. can i buy the turbo camshaft and not have a turbo installed? or do i have to just wait? thanks guys.
Old 12-14-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: camshaft question.

You can install a performance cam, without going turbo. Just remember that you will need a serious EMS if you want an extremely aggressive cam.
Old 12-15-2010
Registered!!

cmiller_01ex has a spectacular aura aboutcmiller_01ex has a spectacular aura about

so i could put in the turbo cam? i was just wonderin.
Old 12-15-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

what camshaft are you looking for?
Old 12-15-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Look into the Brian Crower stage 1 cam, a few people on this site have/do run them and its a decent boost in HP with no other modifications or EMS.
Old 12-15-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

for a turbo later on?
BTW, to OP, are you aware that the stage 2 needs much more than the camshaft only?
Old 12-16-2010
Registered!!

yea i know it needs ore than the camshaft. i was just wonderin if i got the cam for the turbo that i could use it with out the turbo till i get a set up.
and is the stage one anygood?
Old 12-16-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

they good enough considering nothing else is needed. later on you can add bolt-on (that's the only case you gain something worthwhile with bolt-ons - whith the S1 cam.
S2/S3 (can't remember which were the turbo - need the reainer, springs and a tune - so it will require ECU
Old 12-16-2010
Registered!!

ok i was just wondering cause they all cost the same.lol i want the most for the 360 or what ever they cost.
Old 12-16-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

You need to spend more with the stage 2 and 3 cams though.. Springs/retainers, ems, tuning costs.. Easily an extra $700-800 at the least
Old 12-16-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

and do the tuning again after turbo (since OP have been stating the turbo for a few months, might not be bad, though ) turbo coupla years from now?
Old 12-16-2010
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

What are your goals for this car? Is it going to be street driven? Daily driven? How much hp are you looking for?
Old 12-16-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
You need to spend more with the stage 2 and 3 cams though.. Springs/retainers, ems, tuning costs.. Easily an extra $700-800 at the least
At least!

If you go with a stand alone ECU, which I would since your adding a cam and turbo, your looking at spending at least $1500 on the EMS.
Old 12-16-2010
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

I got a BNIB (brand new in the box) Crower springs and Ti retainers for use with stage 2/3 Crower Cams... get at me if you go through with this build.
Old 12-16-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MindBomber
At least!

If you go with a stand alone ECU, which I would since your adding a cam and turbo, your looking at spending at least $1500 on the EMS.
I said that low a price assuming homeboy was gonna go with a $300 piggyback.
Old 12-16-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by TRIZ
I got a BNIB (brand new in the box) Crower springs and Ti retainers for use with stage 2/3 Crower Cams... get at me if you go through with this build.
O rly? *ponders*
Old 12-16-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I said that low a price assuming homeboy was gonna go with a $300 piggyback.
I know what you mean, I just thought I'd throw in that if you go standalone it'll jack the price up wwaayy higher, and that standalone might be something to consider if he's going to be doing such major engine mods.
Old 12-16-2010
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

O rly? *ponders*
My Crower box wrote you a note...
Old 12-16-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Yep. Gotcha.

Just some info:
FI/C (iirc) is about $300, as is the GReddy emanage and A'PEXi VAFC-II (I'm prolly shorting that price estimate by $50), add another $200 if you want the boomslang PnP harness. K-pro will cost you the price of a donor k20/24 ecu and another $900 for the k-pro itself.
Old 12-17-2010
Registered!!

ive looked into kpro. but still with all that i have to do the tranny swap. and i am still looking for a wrecked 01 civic that is manual. lol noluck there in clarksville. but the kpro is def the way i am going with all the hype ya'll put out about it. and i think i am going to just buy the stage 3 or 2 idk which yet. but it'll be a while because i gotta work my *** off just to finish fixing what all went wrong with my car in the last week or so.
Old 12-17-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

ouchie! (from you sig...)
I am in TN too, just in Canada for a while... you guys need to learn what is frozen roads there!
Old 12-18-2010
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cmiller_01ex
i am wanting to put a camshaft in my car. i want to do one soon but i also want to turbo in the future. can i buy the turbo camshaft and not have a turbo installed? or do i have to just wait? thanks guys.
Your car already has a camshaft. It wouldn't run without one! lolololol
Old 12-18-2010
Registered!!

^^^. yea that is true. and yea the frozen roads here aint **** compaired to what it was in germany. but its funny because the rednecks out here like to nascar around on the ice.