Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

desperate for some help. 98 civic issue.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pilebuck13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation desperate for some help. 98 civic issue.

hello, newbie here just had a question.

I have a 98 civic have had it for years never had any issues really small ones mostly............definitely not a mechanic but most simple problems I can repair starters, destrib.........ect the problem:

was driving to work as this car is my only commuter and I noticed the oil light went on I believe I have a very small leak so I stopped put oil in it and was going to change it weekend......well on the way home I stopped somewhere then got back in my car started it then started driving it the engine just cut out while I was driving it in the parking lot.........not alternator, I have repaired many....so the engine is trying to start but nothing is turning over to run.....so I towed it to my house checked timing belt....rotor on distributor was spinning. pulled valve cover off and top of timing belt cover everything looked intact on timing bely defiantly not broke...with valve cover off everything was moving when I would turn it over cylinders.....checked fuel was spraying fuel from fuel pump......so I moved to distributor I tested some of the parts in distributor relay ect.....was getting no indication of juice....however I did not have the proper tools to check the spark plugs for spark....I had them just not at that moment so I just decide to go buy a new distributor the whole unit everything.....I install it line up the little chuck key just right put it in and nothing same thing I pull it out..the distributor and the chuck key that is on the end of it sorry not a mechanic is sheered off???? cheap o reilly dist.... but I figured very weird as there is only one way it will go in and seat so you can bolt it so there is essentially no way you can put it in wrong.......anyways took that back still have old dist......was not even positive it was bad......or I tested relay right or not......does it sound like possibly my dist.....is toast? I cant get past that piece on the new one breaking off....is it cam shaft sensor? timing belt with teeth missing? where do I start I hooked up a code reader only got a code for Cadillac converter....o2 sensor noting else any ideas please help.......thinking about hooking up old distributor and checking for spark....I have proper tools now thanks if u take your time to read all that and try and help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by pilebuck13; 09-19-2015 at 07:15 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-21-2015
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: desperate for some help. 98 civic issue.

Originally Posted by pilebuck13
hello, newbie here just had a question.

I have a 98 civic have had it for years never had any issues except small ones. I am definitely not a mechanic but, most simple problems I can repair.

I was driving to work and I noticed the oil light went on. I believe I have a very small leak so I stopped and put oil in it (I intend to change the oil this weekend). Well, on the way home I stopped somewhere then got back in my car and while driving it the engine just cut out. I tried starting it but it won't run.

I towed it to my house: checked timing belt, rotor on distributor was spinning. pulled valve cover off and top of timing belt cover everything looked intact and timing belt is not broke. With the valve cover off everything was moving when I turned it over.
Checked fuel was spraying fuel from fuel pump. I tested some of the parts in distributor relay etc...and got no indication of juice. Unfortunately, I did not have the proper tools to check the spark plugs for spark. I just decide to go buy a new distributor the whole unit everything. I installed it and lined up the little chuck key just right. put it in and nothing (no start). I pulled out the distributor and the chuck key that is on the end of it sheered off. This is a cheapo distributor and I figured this seems weird as there is only one way it will go in and seat so you can bolt it so, there is essentially no way you can put it in wrong.

I took the new distributor back and still have old one. I was not even positive it was bad or that I tested relay right or not? Does it sound like possibly my distributor is toast? I can't get past that piece on the new one breaking off.
Is the issue a cam shaft sensor? Timing belt with teeth missing? Where do I start?
I hooked up a code reader and only got a code for catalytic converter o2 sensor. Any ideas?.. please help.
I am thinking about hooking up old distributor and checking for spark....I have the proper tools now. Thanks for taking your time to read all that and I hope to get help!
Your first issue is your sentence structure and lack of sentence breaks. I took the liberty of cleaning your post up some.
As far as the no start issue.. here is some reading for you:
1) http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/hon...rt-condition-1

2) http://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-de...blems-2919450/

3)
Old 09-21-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pilebuck13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by turd_ferguson
Your first issue is your sentence structure and lack of sentence breaks. I took the liberty of cleaning your post up some.
As far as the no start issue.. here is some reading for you:
1) http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/hon...rt-condition-1

2) http://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-de...blems-2919450/

3) No Spark Diagnosis (Honda) - EricTheCarGuy - YouTube
I really appreciate you cleaning that up for me and providing the links. Great information I get so lazy I don't even proof read, that was terrible no wonder I got no responses, thank you much appreciated.
Old 09-21-2015
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pilebuck13
I really appreciate you cleaning that up for me and providing the links. Great information I get so lazy I don't even proof read, that was terrible no wonder I got no responses, thank you much appreciated.
Your welcomed