Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Automotive Discussion (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion)
-   -   Manual vs Auto (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion/103672-manual-vs-auto.html)

CivicsRdBest 12-21-2003 08:04 PM

Auto. It's a sedan and it doesn't have a lot of power. If it were a RSX-S or something that screams sporty I'd go with a manual.

hondaciv01 12-21-2003 11:55 PM

manual and never ever regret it. was worried that it could get annoying in traffic, but i don't even think about shifting in everyday traffic anymore, it just do it as second nature. i HATE autos, they bore the hell outta me. nothing to do....

Boiler_Room 12-22-2003 12:29 AM

Originally posted by SpeedStars
Auto sedan here... parents won't let me get the Manual coupe.. I got jipped.. well my next car will be manual.. booya.
Same deal with me... :shake:

Drnknmnky13 12-22-2003 09:19 AM

I always find it amusing when people say driving an automatic is boring. That they want a manual to give them something to do.
1. Play a game...my favorite is called " what's that jerkoff going to do" basically I try and anticipate every move of every driver around me and how I should react to their move. So when said jerkoff pulls in front of me I have my course of action laid out. (some people call this defensive driving...some of you should give it a try)
2. Drive a little faster. Hopefully you'll pay more attention. Put the big mac and the cell phone down
3. On most stretches of highway the car gets to 5th gear and stays there...I really don't see how that gives you "more to do"

I drive a manual...but it's due to the fact that I like control of the car. You need to be able to wring every ounce of power out of the lil engine. I also autocross (or try to at least) and I want to tell the car when to shift. Traffic isn't a huge deal...I mean come on...so you have to push and release the clutch a lot...I mean the civic clutch is like butter. Lazy asses :) Wouldn't want to strain your left ankle pushing that clutch in pansy :moon:

rat-race 12-24-2003 01:17 PM

Automatic

Hey just bought a 2004 sedan. I think its awesomeand looks wicked in that metallic color with those five spoke rims. Ill post picks whenever it decides to stop raining. Really I bought isfor my wife, she cant drive stick. I drive an old beatup EF Hatch. Think Im gonna pick me up an s2000 when im done paying of the sedan though, that car f!@#$% Balls.

XxJDMCivicxX 12-24-2003 01:22 PM

Got a auto and I hate it I always drive my friends 99 lude and it's so much better also he has 200hp... but also the fact that manual doesn't burn as much gas as auto. My friends 03 gt gets 350km with serious lead foot and I get max out of my auto 410km. Next car will definitively be a manual.

Dorkinator 12-24-2003 02:57 PM

I have automatic and its nice when its stop and go traffic..but when I'm tired as all hell coming home from my boyfriends house that is a 30-45 minute drive away [mostly freeway] I wish I had manual to keep me awake. I can't tell you how many times I've almost fallen asleep driving because I was so bored.

debbz 12-24-2003 03:35 PM

auto.. manual is too much work..

honda04civic 12-24-2003 06:32 PM

MT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drnknmnky13 12-24-2003 06:47 PM

Originally posted by Dorkinator
I have automatic and its nice when its stop and go traffic..but when I'm tired as all hell coming home from my boyfriends house that is a 30-45 minute drive away [mostly freeway] I wish I had manual to keep me awake. I can't tell you how many times I've almost fallen asleep driving because I was so bored.
Again I ask how putting the car into 5th gear and leaving it there gives you something "to do"

If you drove correctly and payed attention you wouldn't get bored. Damn you kids and your 2 second attent.......look a kitty.

boostedbar 12-24-2003 06:50 PM

get a stick civic, and a beater- i have a 1987 volvo 240 wagon...not exactly a beater...too nice to be a beater.

Dorkinator 12-24-2003 07:12 PM

Originally posted by Drnknmnky13

If you drove correctly and payed attention you wouldn't get bored. Damn you kids and your 2 second attent.......look a kitty.

AHAHHAHA..that was funny..Robin Williams right?

Drnknmnky13 12-24-2003 10:06 PM

Originally posted by Dorkinator
Robin Williams right?

Indeed

civicstyle82 12-24-2003 10:45 PM

manual all the way, i'd probably fall asleep driving if i had an automatic

bth Go Army 12-24-2003 11:58 PM

its according to you're personal needs...both have advantages and disadvantages

RiceRiley 12-25-2003 03:15 AM

Personally I like manual cuz I used to have an aoutmatic and it sucked. My friend has a 99 accord V6 and I cant stand to drive it now. I used to love it until I got my 01 civic. I just think that automatics are more laid back cruising cars and manuals are more uppitty and you have more control over your speed. Plus it also keeps you busy instead of being bored cuz both the arms and feet are being used simultaneously

skjinx 12-25-2003 10:39 AM

I drive a manual 2k2 Civic DX cpe. My dad drives a 2k3 LX Sedan, and between the two, I definately prefer the standard tranny.

I do agree with everyone that the manual trans really sucks in traffic and inclines.

The main things about my car is that since I own a DX, I have absolutely nothing. This car is a no frills car with no luxury, no power windows, no power locks, no keyless entry, no tachometer (Why? Some old civics at least had a shift up light), no rear sway bar, no moon roof, no cd player (well I had one installed a few weeks after purchase), no ABS, no vtec (who cares).

Anyhow, everyone I know who drives a stick in other cars who all hop into mine ask me why there is no tach. I just tell them I really don't need it. I just listen or feel it. I mean come on its a new car, honda went a little too cheap by not giving DX owners a tach, Jeese.

Oh well, gets me where I need it to and I don't have to worry about busted electronics like power windows.

hankscorpio 12-28-2003 05:06 PM

I can see how you can do daily driving on your manual car without a tach and such by hearing and feeling for it. But how on earth can you drive it hard at all? Not even for like racing or something like that, but just trying to pass a car or something like that when approaching near redline? Thats gotta be a pain.

ebpcivic2002 12-28-2003 05:29 PM

Manual all the way!!! I would never go back to an automatic.

02fpcivic 12-28-2003 05:55 PM

I have owned quite a few cars and Manual is the only way for me. I feel like I dont have the control in an Auto. I also think that everyone should hafta learn how to drive a Manual to get there liscence. It teaches you better coordination and driving and its just a good thing to learn. Just my opinion though.

ragencajun 12-28-2003 06:21 PM

:evil:
i had a manual toyota carolla all wheel drive wagon i think it was an 89 no tach my first car
when i was 14 that thing was great after about 2 years of driving it i learned exactly where the shift point was its all a matter of feel not like youcan hop in and drive it perfect. thats just my opinion butt you you know what they say about those. :evil:

skjinx 12-29-2003 09:34 PM

I'm thinking about buying an EX or LX gauge cluster with tach and all that, and putting it into my car. I would like to have it configured to show my correct mileage too.

Anybody have any clue on what to do for all of this?

I may just end up going to the dealer and have them do everything for that expensive rip off fee they'll charge me.

mdwalsh80 12-29-2003 09:53 PM

manual all day everyday downshifting is a great thing to be able to do when we only have 127HP. Positive getting 501 miles per tank of gas helps me apreaciate the lack of power we have in our cars... Matt

skjinx 12-30-2003 10:47 AM

Ok, from what I was told when I called the dealer about the gauge cluster with tach, this is what they respond with for just that part: $273 not including labor.

All I want to say is damn. Makes me hate Honda and all dealers even more.

An aftermarket tach would be cheaper, but good god I really don't need something that sticks out so ridiculously as that.

I tried looking up some gauge clusters on ebay but they were from Automatics.

Bebop 01-05-2004 11:59 PM

Originally posted by skjinx
I'm thinking about buying an EX or LX gauge cluster with tach and all that, and putting it into my car. I would like to have it configured to show my correct mileage too.

Anybody have any clue on what to do for all of this?

I may just end up going to the dealer and have them do everything for that expensive rip off fee they'll charge me.

Since the Odo is now a digital display. It possible the actual mileage is stored on a chip somewhere in the car. And all you do is plug new cluster in.

bruceski3 01-06-2004 12:12 AM

Stick. I got an Auto and i regret every min of it. Only bought my car cause i needed something reliable and i travel in stop and go traffic. Now im used to the area and i know my way around. Wanna buy my POS?? Auto just robs ya, Sucks

gatch 01-06-2004 12:49 AM

dang....16 pages!!
Stick for me...oh wait....that's only in the video games :D

Auto for me. city traffic and hills just make me lazy. plus driving the 101 home from redwood city to san francisco during prime time makes me glad i have an auto....and did i mention the hills and city traffic as well? however, most of the time my right hand rest on the shifter and i do go from D2 up sometimes. guess i'm just a closet stick person....ummm...that doesn't sound right.

rckdrmr 01-06-2004 01:42 AM

i like manual, and they seem to last longer than automatic. to each his or her own...

tsabimage 01-06-2004 05:00 AM

manual

Jollysid 01-06-2004 11:02 AM

I bought a manual civic because I got such a great deal on it, but I've really grown to love it. I drove a stick accord before it and found that one to be great too. I think my cars will always be sticks, but when I buy a truck or an SUV one day it'll definetly be an automatic.