Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Automotive Discussion (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion)
-   -   Manual vs Auto (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion/103672-manual-vs-auto.html)

venom122 07-23-2003 12:48 PM

I like manual also... When i was in highschool i always had an auto and i kept saying "the first car i actually choose to buy will be a stick"... I love it.

gelshmoff 07-23-2003 12:58 PM

When i was in highschool i always had an auto and i kept saying "the first car i actually choose to buy will be a stick"
Same here! I like the shtick. It makes for good coordination. Auto=left foot falling asleep. Interesting sidenote: www.howstuffworks.com says that the torque converter on an auto will produce more torque from a dead stop than a standard. I don't know if that's true, but it might be.

FALKEN 07-23-2003 01:16 PM

manual here...love it!!

Master J 07-24-2003 12:34 AM

i think somekind of dual mode would definitely be cool...not talking about those clutchless manuals..ah well guess we can always dream

krisak 07-24-2003 07:35 AM

I have a manual in my civic. I think a manual is good for a small 4 cylinder engine, but in a SUV I think a automatic is a wise choice.

ChiZX 07-24-2003 12:10 PM

Re: Re: I've got an auto tranny...

Originally posted by CivicHX01
i wouldn't want anyone driving my car in the first place... i'd rather be stuck somewhere and wait than have someone else drive my car...
What if you were playing basketball and you broke your ankle? How would you drive your car?

I'm just saying...

Cheers,
ChiZX
:_beer:

Chocobo 07-24-2003 03:59 PM

<======= Auto, no regrets

DaveyD 07-24-2003 05:14 PM

Lazy=Automatic=Me
Edit, no regrets either

slammed 07-26-2003 09:05 PM

ME=Standard
GIRLFRIEND=Automatic
CAR=Automatic

I know. :_doh: :_doh: :_doh:

THERING 07-28-2003 12:51 AM

STICK IS THE S**t!!! ALWAYS HAVE AND ALWAYS WILL!!!

TiM3 07-28-2003 12:59 AM

Re: Re: Re: I've got an auto tranny...

Originally posted by ChiZX
What if you were playing basketball and you broke your ankle? How would you drive your car?

I'm just saying...

Cheers,
ChiZX
:_beer:

That happend to me last year and I had to drive home in my 1993 Nissan Altima
and the clutch was hard as hell. It was very painful trying to shift with a badly
sprained ankle. That's one day I wished I had an auto, but other than that
stick for life. Or until I get old and can't shift anymore.

Woodster 07-28-2003 12:12 PM

I dont understand why some of you 16 year olds are getting automatics because your parents bought them for you. I for one am 14, going on 15 and am already lookin at a car, it may not be legal for me to drive but i can convince my mom to let me drive alone after i buy the car and need to get it home. My mom would never ever buy me a car without having me drive it first and get what i want. Manual is the way to go for me. I love bein able to feel the car and actually control it besides just putting it in drive and going. Plus with manual, on long trips you dont get bored, you can always downshift and put the rev's up really high to wake you up! lol, anyway, manual for me!

CrankinCivic 07-28-2003 01:01 PM

me = drunk= auto
me= big city = lots traffic = bad knee= auto
and mainly

me = lazy = auto ... i like stick but not for adaily driver ... my knee cant take it ... it got caved in when i was sparring when i was younger and likes to act up when i drive a stick for a long time

OsOBooSTeD 08-22-2003 11:33 PM

Originally posted by Master J
i think somekind of dual mode would definitely be cool...not talking about those clutchless manuals..ah well guess we can always dream

the jag s type actually has a clutch that drops down... pretty cool huh... so yea its like dual mode. :rockon:

OsOBooSTeD 08-22-2003 11:35 PM

Originally posted by Woodster
I dont understand why some of you 16 year olds are getting automatics because your parents bought them for you. I for one am 14, going on 15 and am already lookin at a car, it may not be legal for me to drive but i can convince my mom to let me drive alone after i buy the car and need to get it home. My mom would never ever buy me a car without having me drive it first and get what i want. Manual is the way to go for me. I love bein able to feel the car and actually control it besides just putting it in drive and going. Plus with manual, on long trips you dont get bored, you can always downshift and put the rev's up really high to wake you up! lol, anyway, manual for me!
main reason is exactly people like you... whoo need to worry about HOW DO DRIVE.. not shifting gears.... most people dont get a manual for their first car cause its more important to pay attention to the road and other cars then shifting gears.

2k2EXCOUPE 08-22-2003 11:41 PM

Originally posted by OsOBooSTeD
main reason is exactly people like you... whoo need to worry about HOW DO DRIVE.. not shifting gears.... most people dont get a manual for their first car cause its more important to pay attention to the road and other cars then shifting gears.
that was my moms excuse.

and to the 14 year old- why dont you learn how to drive and get a licence before you come posting about why a manual is better than an auto

streetglower 08-23-2003 01:01 AM

I have a auto tranny on my 02 ex coupe. I dont mind it because I deliver pizzas, but I would love to have a manual because I drove my friends GTI VR6 and I like the feeling of a manual.

Chocobo 08-23-2003 01:12 AM

i went to the beach
stayed there for 5 hours
had to grab onto a boggie board
thank god i had an auto, im generally weak so i was too tired and hurting to hold onto the steering wheel let alone shift the car, it was a blessing to have an auto so i like it alot. I chose my auto my dad told me to get a stick becasue i wold save more gas (allegedly) and because he knew i liked fast cars (why'd i get a civic then....whatever) and a stick would be faster, my ma wanted me to get an rsx-s because she LOVES FAST CARS and i knew shed want the car to drve it everyday, just ask my sister's celica.... besides i had to buy the car so why would i spend so much on my first car?

i dont think auto is boring, granted you can do a lot more with a stick, i just dont feel stick is important to me,. i guess we all have different styles. Besides a turbo is better on an auto, which i plan to get soon

auto is for the lazy teenager, the learner driver, the old lady, and me.

OsOBooSTeD 08-23-2003 01:18 AM

u do save more gas with a stick.. Its a FACT.

Civic_Si_Veloz 08-23-2003 02:34 AM

I am learning manual now and plan to get a manual when i get a car. Of all my friends that drive stick, they say they never regret it and will never go back to auto. I feel the same. Even if i was to get a car without knowing how to drive stick (i think i'm pass the rookie stage), i'd still buy manual. Not knowing how to drive it is not an excuse. Not wanting to learn/try it is an excuse.

And i have heard people say that if you don't know how to drive stick, you don't really know how to drive.

azure 08-23-2003 03:14 AM

Originally posted by Azure
Auto here. I thought I would benefit from it since I'm in traffic going to work and going home... I guess I do, but it's no fun. I so wish I had gotten a manual! :hithead: (But, there's always the K20 swap :evil:) My next car will DEFINITELY be a manual.
I guess now I can say manual! :hgrin:

biohazard 08-23-2003 06:40 AM

I love driving manual! Automatic is a little boring, IMO.
However, when I got my new car '02 Civic LX Sedan, I got an automatic.
Why you may ask?

Well, mommy and daddy helped buy the car when my old car took a crap on me. I figured I would get my own car down the line, and give this one back, and they're old, so I wouldn't want to subject them to a manual transmission.

Secondly, traffic sucks, and I hate driving manual in traffic. Automatic is easier to handle, which leads me to the third reason.

Third: It's really hard to eat, drive, talk on the phone and shift gears all at the same time! (Somebody slap my wrists...)

OsOBooSTeD 08-23-2003 08:18 AM

Originally posted by biohazard

Third: It's really hard to eat, drive, talk on the phone and shift gears all at the same time! (Somebody slap my wrists...)

nah the trick is .... steer with your left knee, hold the phone between ur ear and ur sholder, eat with the Left hand and switch gears with the right hand.. you could even eat with you right and shift with ur fore arm... lol im a multi-tasker... Im always doin stupid shit like that with my hands full.... :rockon:

ga_boi 08-23-2003 10:47 AM

i have an automatic and i hate it! my bro has an 02 ex manual so ive been learning on that and its much more fun. and although he has nothing done to it yet, and i have catback and sri he smoked my ass when we raced a couple nights ago

biohazard 08-23-2003 05:33 PM

Boosted- I would do that... have even done that in previous cars, but you have to admit, you can't turn with your knee. Veering one way and another, even changing lanes, but not an actual turn. I turn too much around here to just drive with my knee... Or I just need more practice. Can you steer with one knee and hit the clutch and gas at the same time? Maybe I'm too short, my knee/leg doesn't touch steering wheel and push down on the clutch at the same.
"Go go gadget leg..."

potator 08-23-2003 08:01 PM

nah the trick is .... steer with your left knee, hold the phone between ur ear and ur sholder, eat with the Left hand and switch gears with the right hand.. you could even eat with you right and shift with ur fore arm... lol im a multi-tasker... Im always doin stupid shit like that with my hands full.... :rockon:
:_bow:

There's the old saying...
"When you are driving a manual transmission, you are really driving the car. When you are driving an automatic, you're not actually driving the car; the car is driving you."

I choose to drive my car. And I will continue to choose to drive my cars as long as I am physically able to do so. What about you?

TonySTiX 08-24-2003 01:37 AM

^^^ :clap: Yeaa! LOL

When i was lookin to buy a car i was only lookin for manual. I didnt care if i came across some amazing deal on a car which was an auto...I wanted stick and i got it (02 EX 5-speed) and i love driving the car. To be honest i wasnt even interested in Civics when i was lookin for a car but since it was a stick i took a shot. A llotta ppl were tellin me not to get manual ("U'll get sick of it blah blah blah blah") I was like-- ahh F*ck U! I knew i wouldnt! LOL I read some of these posts that ppl didnt get a manual cause of other ppl tellin em not to...that sux. Do what u want..not what others tell you.

TonySTiX 08-24-2003 01:37 AM

:cool:

Chocobo 08-24-2003 02:20 AM

u do save more gas with a stick.. Its a FACT.
..... i was trying to be sarcastic, sorry

cvcpwr2k2 08-24-2003 02:30 AM

duuuude...i got my license on an auto, then when the time came to buy a car, i decided to go manual due mainly to other peoples opinions that it's 100x better than auto(which it is by the way :evil: ). my friend taught me how to drive stick b4, maybe 10hrs total of practice. then when i bought my car it took a few days to get used to and after that its second nature. sure theres things you improve on as time progresses but as far as worrying about "HOW TO DRIVE" and paying attention to the road, you have to be pretty daft not to be able to shift and pay attention to the road. this guy i knew from back in the day was pretty stupid to say the least and HE could drive stick so i dont think anyone with an IQ over 50 would have a problem.