Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Automotive Discussion (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion)
-   -   Manual vs Auto (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion/103672-manual-vs-auto.html)

EviLMyStS 10-02-2003 11:02 AM

any gear doesn't matter ? 1st, 2nd ?

Zzyzx 10-02-2003 11:28 AM

ya you can do it in pretty much any gear, but the best ones are 2nd or 3rd.

SILVERSI 10-02-2003 01:06 PM

OWNED THEM BOTH---NOW HAVE NEW SI---LOVE IT!!!

samcanadian 10-02-2003 01:26 PM

Manual is SO overrated...

Zzyzx 10-02-2003 01:47 PM

Originally posted by samcanadian
Manual is SO overrated...

How so? care to explain?

I autocross, and Manual is the ONLY way to go. why??? Becasue with the same chassis say A civic ex manual Vs a civic ex auto, the manual transmission is worth 1 to 2 seconds faster on the track Vs the automatic..... depending on the size and lay out of the coures.

samcanadian 10-02-2003 11:06 PM

That's the thing, you autocross...

I get ragged on for driving an automatic "family car".

Do you think I would choose automatic if it was a Ferrari? Nope

It's a civic...it's NOT fast, and I don't PLAN on MAKING it fast...so why the heck should I get a manual transmission? To increase the chance of dying in a fiery car crash, as I try to change lanes, scratch my ear, and bite a sammich as I shift into third?

Face it, a standard (to me anyway) is an annoyance in the city, and for all it's worth, you may as well shell out the extra bucks for an auto.

Ramones 10-03-2003 12:13 PM

I have an 02 sedan in auto and i like it. My dad just got a 02 manual hyundai elantra from a buddy of his for free and i got to drive it for the weekend. After driving it for the past 2 days i got bored of driving the manual, but it does help me pay more attentio to the road. However, if i had a chance to get an auto or manual i would get an auto for sure.

BlackIce 10-03-2003 05:38 PM

Manual, hands down... Auto for lazy drivers... just my opinion, free to flame if you wish

ga_boi 10-03-2003 11:22 PM

ive got an auto and hate it, everyday i wish i had a manual

BLondeHondaChik 10-04-2003 11:18 AM

i had auto on my civic.... HATED IT, everyday!!!!!!!!!!
now got manual with the rsx type s.... will NEVER go back to auto!!

robbclark1 10-04-2003 11:24 AM

Originally posted by samcanadian
That's the thing, you autocross...

I get ragged on for driving an automatic "family car".

Do you think I would choose automatic if it was a Ferrari? Nope

It's a civic...it's NOT fast, and I don't PLAN on MAKING it fast...so why the heck should I get a manual transmission? To increase the chance of dying in a fiery car crash, as I try to change lanes, scratch my ear, and bite a sammich as I shift into third?

Face it, a standard (to me anyway) is an annoyance in the city, and for all it's worth, you may as well shell out the extra bucks for an auto.

And that is your opinion. for some of us it isn't about going fast, it is about control. I personally like to control what gear my car is in. My wife's car is an auto and it take forever to get up a hill. Now my car doesn't have the greatest torque in the world, but I can control how long I stay in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd up that hill, thus allowing me the control I desire over my driving.

blue87 10-04-2003 11:43 AM

Manual is the way to go but heh it depends on what type of car you have. For civics, got to go with the manual.

RobG2k1 10-04-2003 04:49 PM

manual for me! i can see why people dont like it in traffic but its not that much of a burden, after a while it becomes second nature and you dont even recognize your shifting gears :p

04civiclxguy 10-04-2003 05:29 PM

Yo. Im down With 5-speed But I pre-fer Auto. Because Of my Arthritic Hip.

DroppIN808 10-05-2003 07:45 PM

Driving manual is a whole lot better because your able to control what gear your in and it's a whole lot more fun to drive. But i live on Oahu so there's traffic everywhere so it's a biatch sometimes to drive but still yet fun to drive than an auto IMO.

sihotan 10-05-2003 09:21 PM

i would prefer to have a sequential sportshift like in the preludes
+ go up a gear
- go down a gear.

my buddies got one in his BMW 330 and it's sweet !!!!!

i myself have a auto and i do switch in between 4th and 3rd gear when i drive. especially when going up hills. it's fast enough for me.

wzcb08 10-06-2003 06:28 AM

You know according to statistics in car manufacturing, about 80% of the cars produced in the USA were automatics, seems to be the choice of the public. Obviously the sports car market dominates the Manuel trannies for obvious reasons.... :rockon:

fine02civicgurl 10-06-2003 10:06 AM

automatic- for 1, i got the car when i was 17, and i had no clue how to drive a stick. (and still dont, i might add). 2- i always have a phone to my ear, or a cd in one hand, etc, so i wouldnt get a manual just for that reason... because it's dangerous for me and other people on the road if im not paying attention to shifting.... manuals are pretty fun though, but i would hate always having to shift. im lazy! woohooo

reytito 10-06-2003 10:20 AM

aren't autos somewhat better for spraying and boosting though? just throwing that out there for further discussion...

GunnerX17 10-06-2003 02:53 PM

After driving my brother's 6speed supra and my auto supra, i'd have to go with the 6speed. First off, the 6speed tranny seems to transfer more power to the ground than the auto in mid to top-end performance. And of course, it's more engaging to drive. The only downside is that auto supras can outlaunch a 6speed pretty well. I don't know if this holds true with civics as well.

Manual: More control overall = better road racing capabilities, funner to drive (IMO), and slightly more powerful.
Auto: Good for dragging = quicker launches (for supras), maintains boost at shift points, ideal for lazy drivers :hgrin: jk

Rock on! :rockon:
-Jacob

Hondasport2k3 10-07-2003 06:09 PM

Originally posted by sihotan
i would prefer to have a sequential sportshift like in the preludes
+ go up a gear
- go down a gear.

my buddies got one in his BMW 330 and it's sweet !!!!!

i myself have a auto and i do switch in between 4th and 3rd gear when i drive. especially when going up hills. it's fast enough for me.

preludes have sequential gear? like those in M3s?

sihotan 10-07-2003 08:26 PM

Originally posted by Hondasport2k3
preludes have sequential gear? like those in M3s?
it's really a automatic with sequential gear. sort of like the triptronic in the VW Jettas
you can kind of see it here in the link

http://www.fidelisav.com/prelude/pics/rvsp9703.jpg

bigainabuilt 12-21-2003 02:00 PM

my coupe is auto just cause i wanted to make it a cruise mobile because i already have my bikes to race

Elite 12-21-2003 02:14 PM

Can I change my vote to manual?
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...ht=tranny+swap

TMRakip 12-21-2003 02:44 PM

Civic ---> Automatic
M3 ---> SMG-II

honda04civic 12-21-2003 03:16 PM

Manual here love it..

Drnknmnky13 12-21-2003 05:50 PM

Manual. Full control to squeeze out ever last bit of the HP in my little engine.

ps. MREEZYSMRS...THE CAPS LOCK KEY IS LOCATED NEXT TO THE A KEY

Novaz3 12-21-2003 07:12 PM

Originally posted by MREEZYSMRS
MANUAL IS DEFINATELY MORE FUN, BUT I AM DRIVING AN AUTO.

IF I WERE STILL YOUNG AND COOL, I'D DEFINATELY HAVE A STICK. I LOVE THE FEEL OF THAT THING IN THE PALM OF MY HAND!

BUT WITH A 4 YEAR OLD SCREAMING AT ME FOR GOD KNOWS WHAT ALL THE TIME, I NEED TO KEEP BOTH HANDS ACCESSIBLE, (SO I CAN SWAT HIM...JUST KIDDING!)

NOT TO MENTION, WHERE I LIVE, YOU GO ABOUT 2 BLOCKS AND HIT A LIGHT OR A STOP SIGN...OR JUST A MORON WHO DOESN'T KNOW THE ROAD FROM THEIR BUTT.

SO YOU LOVE THE FEEL OF STICKS IN THE PALM OF YOUR HANDS AH??????? LOL