Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

D17 to something newer

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Elciteeve is an unknown quantity at this point
D17 to something newer

Does anyone know of a list of compatible engine swaps for the d17 which wouldn't require modifications? Or only minimal mods. I have a 2004 civic and I *hate* this engine. I want to upgrade to a newer engine, but would like to keep things fairly stock feeling.

I know I the k20 is compatible with new mounts and an exhaust mod. I'm hoping to not have to outsource any work, so an exhaust mod is definitely out. New mounts I could live with, if they are a bolt on replacement.

any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-22-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: D17 to something newer

K series have the exhaust coming from the other side of engine.
Old 02-22-2019
Super Moderator

Received 1,853 Likes on 1,303 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

A K20 swap is much more involved than simply swapping mounts and exhaust. Power steering, A/C lines, alternator and starter cables, ECU and wiring, immobilizer, radiator, engine mounts, exhaust, and even the hood all have to be modified. I still wouldn't call it complicated but it isn't anywhere close to a direct swap.
Old 02-22-2019
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. What they both said. Only "direct" swaps would be the D17A1 (downgrade) or another D17A2. Only benefit of going with the -A1 is if you were going turbo (due to its lower compression ratio), but you'd probably want to swap the -A2 head on.