Engine Performance Modifications Post your questions about how to modify your engine here Swaps, Flashing, bolt-ons, etc.

Detailed D17 NA Build Research- COMMENT HERE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Re: Detailed D17 NA Build Research- COMMENT HERE!!!!

Originally Posted by 02AutoExCoupe
Nice! So I looked up the vafc 2 and get the basic idea of how it works, and there is even a shop nearby that sells them for $330.00 ( is this a good price?).

What about the stage 2 cam thing? What sort of brand(s) would I be looking at, or is this something that a shop needs to build for me? Sorry for the simple questions as I clearly am not a mechanic.

oh ya btw I LOVED the sound fo the high revving b16 and would like my car to sound like this if possible. Thanks for any help!
I actually have all the parts. Crower stage 2 cam, Crower valve spring and retainer upgrade, Apexi Vafc2. I bought the parts about 2 years ago and never had enough cash to put them in and get it running. They are brand new. You wont be able to find them cheaper anywhere on the net then right here. PM and we can check shipping costs. Buy these!!
Old 12-24-2009
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

crower is the only company that makes a cam for the d17. the stage 1 cam is a straight drop in and gets you 125 hp to the wheels it's a fun cam that has a little kick to it. for the stage 2 you really need k-pro to get it to idle straight. and DJmota (oscar) was actually running k-pro on his car.

I can give the new 06+ si a car length and still stomp it thats with crower stage 2 cam, springs and retainer, k-pro, DC sports 4-2-1 full race header, 2.5 inch exhaust straight through, and custom Intake manifold.

I do really recommend the stage 1 cam though it is nice just stick it in like you are doing a timing belt install and thats it and it feels good
Old 12-24-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02AutoExCoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info bomerman.

Just curious what sort of 1/4 time I can expect with simply upgrading to a stage 1 cam, and maybe also a K&N Typhoon sri?

Last edited by 02AutoExCoupe; 12-24-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-04-2010
Registered!!

D17cancun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TRIZ
I actually have all the parts. Crower stage 2 cam, Crower valve spring and retainer upgrade, Apexi Vafc2. I bought the parts about 2 years ago and never had enough cash to put them in and get it running. They are brand new. You wont be able to find them cheaper anywhere on the net then right here. PM and we can check shipping costs. Buy these!!
hey triz im interested on thata stuff contact me please
Old 05-15-2010
Registered!!

SillyCivIc is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey all!! I am interested in doing some work on my engine. I have a 03 Civic LX. Looking for some good parts like a vtec head, cam and whatever else I can find. So if anyone has parts or knows anyone with some good deals hit me up. I am looking at doing this soon.
Thanks 4 the help...
Old 11-08-2010
Registered!!

Red02CivicSedan is an unknown quantity at this point

I havent done anything to my car, but i was thinking to swap out for a B18 motor. But after reading all of this. i'm thinking about just building my D17. What could be some minor mods that i can do to it for significant increase in power?
Old 11-10-2010
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Do a head swap! I got a head I need to get rid of too, low miles and a-ok'd from the machine shop after they cleaned it up n replaced seals n stuff, great buy.
Old 01-22-2011
JDM<3

NHEM2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Red02CivicSedan
I havent done anything to my car, but i was thinking to swap out for a B18 motor. But after reading all of this. i'm thinking about just building my D17. What could be some minor mods that i can do to it for significant increase in power?
A b18 wont fit in an em2. Only a K series will fit.
Old 01-22-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NHEM2
A b18 wont fit in an em2. Only a K series will fit.
It will fit, it's just not legal or practical.
Old 01-22-2011
Premium Member

^ and there arent any kits to buy to make it fit- its all custom motor mounts and custom everything.
Old 01-31-2011
Registered!!

Well after a lot of research i settled on saving up for a K20a you guys think that would be good for my es1? or maybe even a k24
Old 01-31-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

^The K series motors are all great, they're just extremely expensive.
Old 01-31-2011
Registered!!

oh man i know. Would the K24 from the CRV fit in my Es1?
Old 01-31-2013
Registered!!

s4boost should not be trusted

itbs! theyre really nice. they give good power gains, but theyre not easy to configure properly and its difficult to find a tuner that actually knows how to tune for them.
Old 03-22-2013
Registered!!

N/Aallday is an unknown quantity at this point

ok i kno this is a very old thread. but i believe i have the reciept for a cheep good stroker build for the d17a2!

first d17a2 block with crank, then i took a set of p28 rods and piston in the block which brings me almost dead even to deck hieght.

the only problem im having is i will have a little value Slap im over deck hieght by 0.087 of an inch.

this is after the gasket and everything.

does anybody have any idea's oh how to solve this slight problem?
Old 05-21-2013
Registered!!

03 D17A1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TRIZ
Do a head swap! I got a head I need to get rid of too, low miles and a-ok'd from the machine shop after they cleaned it up n replaced seals n stuff, great buy.

Hey im thinking about doing a head swap a D17A2 for my D17A1 head would i get more hp from the head swap???? i know i would get vtec if i got the ecu form the D17A2
Old 05-21-2013
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

You wouldn't just magically get VTEC if you swapped in a D17A2 ecu. You'd need to do the head swap.