Honda Civic Racing: Drift/Drag/AutoX/Time Attack There are different setups needed if you are using your civic for drifting, drag or track racing

Near Collision With Accord

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No_Code is an unknown quantity at this point
Near Collision With Accord

I was on my way to a friends house when I saw this '94-ish Accord 4-door w/ fart-cannon coming up in the rear on the highway so I figured I'd have a little fun with him only if we could get to a clear road. I changed lanes and got behind him and followed him to clear stretch of road, not really trying to pass or anything because of traffic. Finally, we were on a clear stretch of road where there was no car in sight. He was already a couple car-lengths ahead of me in the other lane. I was watching the distance between us and there was no change. Basically, we were staying right with each other, except we weren't beside each other. At this point, I looked down and saw I was doing about 75 mph. Considering that the roads were a little wet, common sense kicked in and I decided that it wasn't worth it to keep going and risk wrecking my car over some cheap thrill, so I started to slow down by working the brake and at the same time, heel-n-toe shifted down through the gears to slow the car down to the speed limit before the bend and in doing so, I looked down at the tach to make sure the revs were right for the next downshift. Apparantly, he didn't have the same idea that I did, as he kept going.

When I looked up, I realized that I could no longer see his tail-lights and I was thinking, "Where'd he go!?!". Then all of a sudden, I saw the rear-end of his car skid around, hit the concrete jersey barrier which sent sparks flying from his car. Then I saw the car spin around again and come to rest, blocking the lane I was in. This caught me a little off guard and through some careful panic braking (I have an LX; no ABS), I stopped about 10 ft. short of his doors without hitting anything. I sat there for about a second or two, wondering what to do and I was just reaching out to the e-brake to get out to see if he was alright, when he straightened out his car and drove off down a nearby off-ramp.

I sat there shaking in disbelief for a few seconds, thinking about how lucky I was that I didn't hit him as well as how foolish what we did actually was. In the end though, it's all a mixed bag. I feel really dumb for trying to go for it considering conditions and more importantly, I feel really bad for seeing him mess up his car for some kind of a cheap thrill. On the other hand, I feel relieved that I made it through without a single scratch on my car and that my car is still in one piece. One thing is for certain though, I don't think I'll ever try to make any kind of a run again.
Old 03-06-2004
Boosted Auto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
deciuss is an unknown quantity at this point
you got lucky
Old 03-06-2004
Registered!!

highrollerbjm is an unknown quantity at this point
you got pretty lucky.... anyone know how vics would put up to a 97 base accord 4 banger? Just wondering bc this kid whos been pouring money into his wants to race. I got 04 civic ex coupe m/t with hks axleback exhaust and fipk2 intake hes got an AUTOMATIC 97 accord with 5zigen exhaust and generic cai....im thinking its mine bc the transmission?????
Old 03-07-2004
Registered!!

hoho is an unknown quantity at this point
well at least u were smart enough to slow down and not risk it unlike that other dumb driver
Old 03-07-2004
Sweetest Dude on 7th Gen

xX03EXx will become famous soon enoughxX03EXx will become famous soon enough
Sir, you can consider yourself the luckiest man alive
Old 03-09-2004
Registered!!

Hypnotik is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by highrollerbjm
you got pretty lucky.... anyone know how vics would put up to a 97 base accord 4 banger? Just wondering bc this kid whos been pouring money into his wants to race. I got 04 civic ex coupe m/t with hks axleback exhaust and fipk2 intake hes got an AUTOMATIC 97 accord with 5zigen exhaust and generic cai....im thinking its mine bc the transmission?????
i have an LX manual coupe, raced against my friend's 4 cylinder automatic accord (not sure exact year, but its prolly a 99-01). we're both stock, and i beat him by a nose, he was at the back of my door when we shut down. good luck, it should be a close race. just make sure to launch and shift well.
Old 03-09-2004
Registered!!

Eeeeeeh is an unknown quantity at this point
You are very, very lucky. I was in a similar situation, but I slammed into the car in front of me