Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Replacing SRS Parts

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiggles is an unknown quantity at this point
Replacing SRS Parts

Hey guys,

I have a 01 civic that was involved in a collision on the front passenger side causing the passenger dash airbag to be deployed. I would like to fix this myself if its possible and i think i have the parts i need to replace. I think i would need to replace:

Pass dash airbag
Seatbelts and Buckle
Passenger side impact sensor
SRS unit

Does that seem like it would make sense? Id rather not spend a lot of money having a dealer do it for me unless its completely wrong for me to attempt to fix it.

Thanks for any help!
Old 09-06-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Replacing SRS Parts

Although it does not follow exactly the SRS replacement shopping list per Honda service info, you have a logical group listed and if it were a personal car of my own I would be inclined to try it and see.

(Does your car have seat belt tensioners?)

Make sure to read your codes before removing the SRS unit, and take take that info with a grain of salt...because a unit that has deployed charges can't always be trusted to tell the truth (codes).

Make sure to read your codes AFTER SRS unit replacement BEFORE you think you are finished. You might have more stuff you need to replace to get it happy.
Old 09-06-2015
Registered!!

I think it has seat belt tensiors, that would be the charge that goes off in the actual belt and not the buckle correct? (So you cant actually move the belt at all once its blown.) Ive be able to acquire new belt, buckle, and airbag for quite cheap that are in working condition just wanted to make sure i would need an SRS unit and impact sensor to tidy it up.

I did read the code and i got a 10-1, which from my googling, seems to be "Seat belt tensioners (and airbag(s)) deployed" and thats the only one i get, it just repeats it over and over.

There wasnt any other damage that i could tell, but cars like to hide things sometimes so i would definitely re read the codes.

Also from my limited googling the replacement process would go like:
Unhook battery for atleast 15 minutes
Replace all the SRS parts and connect them
Rehook battery

Does that seem like the right process? Also im assuming as long as i get an SRS unit that has not been in a crash, when i connect it all up, if i am missing something it would give me an SRS code (hopefully) and not just blow the airbags right?

Thanks for all the advice!
Old 09-08-2015
Registered!!

usajags84 is an unknown quantity at this point

You will need to replace the srs unit there's no getting around it after a deploy. There are services I found that will reprogram a factory unit but I wouldn't recommend it. The best way to do this is to pull your srs and find the same replacement you can use 01 and 02 only if memory serves me correct. I had to do this on an 03 everything cost me about 250
Sensors in front
Seatbelts front with buckles
Bags
Srs unit
Old 09-08-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

that would be the charge that goes off in the actual belt and not the buckle correct?
Both parts can have SRS charges in them.

Does that seem like the right process?
Yes
assuming as long as i get an SRS unit that has not been in a crash, when i connect it all up, if i am missing something it would give me an SRS code (hopefully) and not just blow the airbags right?
Correct, and you need to make certain the unit comes out of a car equipped exactly the same as yours.

I did not check for part number differences.
Old 09-08-2015
Registered!!

Ok cool, i have been making sure i get matching part numbers when it comes to the parts. I appreciate all the help, hopefully it goes smoothly!

Thanks!