Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Blue's Kind-a Build Thread, 5 lug EM2.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Blue's Kind-a Build Thread, 5 lug EM2.

Working on getting type "S" front brakes to fill the 17s Hopefully this guy comes through on the calipers.
Old 02-12-2013
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

RSX Type "S" Calipers are on the way. I should be assembling the brakes as soon as they arrive. Kind of excited about this. Going to leave the Prop valve and mastery cylinder as is. I read you don't need to change them so I'll try it like that if I decide I need to do them I will!
Old 02-12-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

how many calipers do you have on your shelves now?
Old 02-12-2013
Whachya lookin at?

I'll be the proud owner of 6 front calipers

2 Civic ones
2 RSX Base ones
2 RSX type "S" ones

I only really paid for two of them.. the ones coming now, and they were cheap This stuff happens Sandro. Hopefully by the end of all this I'll be able to assemble another Civic and sell it for ~ 3000 lol.
Old 03-01-2013
Whachya lookin at?

RSX Type "S" front brake conversion done now. Braking is MUCH better especially since one of my calipers was sticking.

Name:  20130301_095335_zps1be75b98.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  111.4 KB

I can't wait for some nice weather. I'm going to do a massive detailing on the car and then take some pictures of it.

Last edited by BlueEM2; 03-01-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-01-2013
skate or die

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to all

Looking real good

Want this myself, but still hung up on my rims. Wish they could do 4 and 5 lug. It also looks like we're both needing some new front bushings too.
Old 03-01-2013
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

ricer.
Old 03-01-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Ha... My front bushings are actually in great shape. Only some surface cracking nothing structural. I have over 215000 kms on my OEM bushings and front motor mount. Going to replace them with poly ones when they do finally go. The rim selection was easy for me. I just went with the OEM 17" honda HFP rims as they were cheap.
Old 03-19-2013
Registered!!

paulymcd7 is an unknown quantity at this point

did you use a diy for the brake swap? I'm looking to do a swap this summer and I have a few questions. Provided the guy responds to my pm, i believe im getting a type-s set. with that being the case, what needs to be done? is it a bolt on? do i need to change the master cylinder control arms anything like that? Is this considered a "project" or will it take about as long as coils?
Old 03-19-2013
Whachya lookin at?

It's DEFINITELY a project. Basically there is a lot that you need to research and know before you dive into this. There is already a parts list online but I'll write one up quick. For the Type "S" front and rear conversion, here is what you need.

Front:

- RSX BASE/PREMIUM ONLY front knuckles, type "S" knuckles have a larger diameter axle therefore the hubs from a type "S" will not spline with our civic axles.
- RSX Type "S" calipers and caliper brackets.
- RSX Type "S" pads + rotors.
- Our civic master cylinder, brake booster, and proportioning valve will work just fine but it doesn't hurt to upgrade them if you can get them for cheap.

This setup will bolt right up to the civcs LCA + strut assembly without problems.

The rears are a little bit trickier, you will be converting from drum to disc.

- Rear RSX knuckles, any will do. The more complete the better.
- Rear calipers, rotors, and pads.
- EP3 (Civic "Si", US model) rear e- brake cables. RSX ones can be made to work but they are too short,
and don't bolt directly on to the civic body. I used RSX ones and I had to omit 3 bolts until I can get myself a set of EP3 ones cheap.
- EP3 or RSX brake lines.

All this is direct bolt on.

Do yourself a favor and don't deviate from the parts list above or you will be in trouble. The cool thing about this swap is if you install 15 mm spacers or get the proper rims for 600 dollars more (ish) you can install the RSX Type "R" brembo front brakes. Which is yet another upgrade, however if you do I'd probably try to land the type "R" master cylinder, booster, prop. valve. I hear they are different though I've never attempted it.

I didn't use a DIY as there really isn't one. I have the knowledge once I assembled the parts list to do the swap without a DIY. BE SURE that you have 5 lug rims on the ready or you won't get too far. Also, be sure to do an alignment once your done or you WILL eat your tires. There is no way to install type "S" brakes without going 5 lug.

Do not buy Type "R" rear knuckles on ebay unless you get 60mm offset rims. The offset on them is different than the RSX base/premium/type "S" and you will be in big trouble. Even if you get 60mm offset rims the fronts will stick inboard too much and it will look silly. Stick with USDM rsx for that. If you want to push the rear tire outboard get the appropriate offset rim or install spacers. I used type "R" rear knuckles and had to roll my fenders for the tire to clear. My winter tires still hit the bolt that holds the rear bumper to the body of the car. I ordered Rsx "base" rear hubs + bearings which I'll be installing in the winter to alleviate this.

If you decide to install the type "R" rear knuckles and find it bothers you. You can order rsx base / type "S" rear hub + bearings and they bolt on directly to the rear knuckle, this resets your offset to USDM specs. This is good information to know, the rear knuckles on the RSX type "S" and type "R" are the same. So, if your having a hard time finding rears just order type "R" and slap on new hubs. The offset is actually built right into the hub, and is compensated for by a rear rotor with a larger hat. Also, a rsx type "R" rotor is really hard to find, so don't throw yours out if you decide to go that route lol. The rear type "S" and type "R" calipers are almost the same, the caliper brackets are identical. Rsx type "R" rear calipers are made of aluminum and hold a little bit more brake fluid, whereas the USDM ones are steel. That's about it.

Hmmm... what else. There is lots more that I probably can't remember now but you should have a pretty good idea of what parts you will need. Sorry for the length of this I just want to be thorough. Oh yes don't get the front Type "R" front knuckles as the offset difference is built in directly in the knuckle and you will need RSX type "R" aluminum front control arms etc. unless you plan to do the full swap with 60 offset rims. The other risk with going rsx type "R" front knuckles is the diameter of the axle is again larger, and the knuckle is deeper. I'm not sure if you can press a civic or RSX base front hubs into the knuckles because the knuckle is longer. This would be pretty awesome if you could though because you can order a type "R" full brake conversion kit for ~ 1000 dollars and just press new front hubs, buy 50-60mm offset rims and have brembo brakes I just remembered too the axle on the front of the type "R" is longer so you can pretty much toss type "R" front knuckles right out of the window.

That's about 6-8 hours of searching the internet for information I just wrote up right there. Information on the type "R" portion of this swap is super hard to find, even for RSX owners.

Oh yea buy at least 16" rims to clear the type "S" calipers or you will have issues

Last edited by BlueEM2; 03-19-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-19-2013
Registered!!

You sit, are a saint. Thank you so much haha and I'm going with type "s" and I'm getting 17" wheels so I'll be fine. Again thank you so much
Old 03-19-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Ok again be careful with type "S" front knuckles because the civic axles won't spline into the hubs. So you can either replace the hubs with rsx "base" hubs + bearings or find base knuckles. I'm actually a fan of replacing the hubs because you will have brand new hubs + bearings which is fantastic.

As far as the job goes just follow my ball joint DIY in my signature for the fronts, and find boilermakers rear disc convserion for the rears.. OOPS.. here it is : https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...elled-out.html

A little tip when you do the rears. Instead of disconnecting the drivers side ABS sensor from the top of the wheel well just keep the old sensor. You risk ripping the connector from the wires like I did because it's attached to a bracket which rusts out and seizes the connector on. You will see what I mean when you get there. I recommend replacing the passanger side I think, hopefully your conversion comes with one. Try to get ahold of a couple of rear toe adjustment bolts before hand. They tend to seize and if it does you will need to cut it with either a hacksaw (slow way) or a torch (fast way). One of mine seized and I spent about an hour cutting it with a hacksaw. What a pain in the ***.

Have fun with er.
Old 03-19-2013
Registered!!

Could I use civic calipers and caliper brackets?
Old 03-19-2013
Whachya lookin at?

That totally eliminates the point of the type "S" swap. Type "S" rotors are 11.8" in size where civic ones are only 10". RSX base are 10" and are the same calipers + brackets as the civic. So, the answer is, yes you can use civic calipers and brackets. But with that you will have to use rsx "base" rotors and pads

Last edited by BlueEM2; 03-20-2013 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Fixed.. I'm stoopid
Old 03-19-2013
Registered!!

I was just asking for my wallets sake haha
Old 03-20-2013

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

tom, how is your gas milage doing? did it drop with the bigger/heavier rims/rotors?
Old 03-20-2013
Whachya lookin at?

I fixed my above post so it actually makes sense hahaha... No change in mileage. I'll know better after a few more fillups though.
Old 03-31-2013
Whachya lookin at?

I finally got around to putting on the summer rims + tires... I gotta say 17" rims are perfect for this car... Though 18s would be pretty awesome too. Here it is, mind the dirt.. its dirrttaay, and my paint is in horrible shape at this point Brand new van is in the background, it has 250 kms on it whoooo:

Name:  20130331_133218_zps40bfe1e7.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  115.7 KB
Name:  20130331_133227_zps60766ae6.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  160.4 KB
Old 04-01-2013
skate or die

Tragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to all

Those HFP's look good and make your car's color pop.
Old 04-01-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

It looks kind of off to me. Like on the verge of mexiflush.
Needs to be slammed
Old 04-01-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Haha I don't totally disagree Kenny... I won't be slamming it though.. it's a commuter car, the most I'd do is 1.5 - 2 inches. I'm going to bring the rear wheels inward though...
Old 04-01-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

I say bring it right up to the fender line, would look perfect.
Old 04-01-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Haha I don't have that much control without spending money...

I hvae RSX base hubs I'm going to install which will bring it inboard 15mm.. Then I'd have to get a 5 or 10mm spacer to bring it outboard to the fender line. Same with the front

In person it doesnt look .. mexiflush? But I still want to bring it inboard. At least it's not smashing off the bumper bolt any more lol
Old 04-01-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Here Kenny... More Views:

Name:  20130401_133318_zps38f3b8a4.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  206.5 KB
Name:  20130401_133308_zps0e2dd3b8.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  205.5 KB
Name:  20130401_133325_zpsc484a386.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  187.0 KB
Name:  20130401_133332_zpsa1e7a599.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  128.5 KB
Name:  20130401_133349_zps4ed100ca.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  109.7 KB
Old 04-01-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Just needs MOAR LOW
Old 04-02-2013
Whachya lookin at?

YaHyAh Eventually
Old 04-03-2013

Looks good tom
Old 04-03-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Thanks It drives absolutely awesome... Like the day it left the lot
Old 06-14-2013
Registered!!

CGaud is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
A little tip when you do the rears. Instead of disconnecting the drivers side ABS sensor from the top of the wheel well just keep the old sensor. You risk ripping the connector from the wires like I did because it's attached to a bracket which rusts out and seizes the connector on. You will see what I mean when you get there. I recommend replacing the passanger side I think, hopefully your conversion comes with one. Try to get ahold of a couple of rear toe adjustment bolts before hand. They tend to seize and if it does you will need to cut it with either a hacksaw (slow way) or a torch (fast way). One of mine seized and I spent about an hour cutting it with a hacksaw. What a pain in the ***.

Have fun with er.
This is great advice.. One of my toe bolts was a bit rusted and it needed a couple taps in order for me to be able to remove it. As for the rear ABS sensor I saved one of them and the other broke apart (the outer plastic cover got stuck in the sensor housing) when I tried to remove it from the rear passenger drum.

Blue - How did you go about mounting up the e-brake cables? Did all the brackets mount up correctly or did you end up using zip-ties to keep the cable from dangling?

I apologize for the semi-old revival.
Old 06-15-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Mine are still dangling.. but they aren't hanging very low at all. No the brackets on the RSX e brake cables don't line up and there are extras. I'm going to eventually get Civic Si e brake cables which line up exactly as ours do. Or even better Acura EL e brake cables. I had to cut one of my toe bolts because it was completely seized into the bushing. Nasty stuff.

Quick Reply: Blue's Kind-a Build Thread, 5 lug EM2.