Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

My car is dead

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005
7thgen Terminator Ninja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
booba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to behold
^^****!
Old 11-20-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Oh man..... I'm sorry after all the trouble you have been having to read THIS.

But it really isn't hard to swap a head. You have a manual, just make sure you get a few needed GOOD tools. You don't have to remove the crank pulley to swap the head. Just put the motor to TDC and line up all the marks when re-assembling. I have done a few, takes a day if you take some time.

The manual has what you need, just study it. It's not as complicated as it sounds.

Dammit.... I feared that it was milled too much. Honda heads are thin to begin with. Porting alone would have been enough.

Oh well, it's done. Time to move on.
Old 11-20-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
hmm this is gonna be a big challenge. i just hope i dont get stuck in the middle. i'm making a list of stuff i need first so prolly wont do this for a while. maybe not til january. any tools you recommend? you rotate crank pulley counterclockwise right to set it to tdc? i guess i can see this where the piston is? then just make sure the stuff lines up. i may need to loosen the belt tho to get it off the cam gear.

Last edited by gearbox; 11-20-2005 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11-20-2005
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
If you let the car sit till then, make sure you drain the coolant out and start the engine long enough to blow any coolant out of the cylinders. Else you will have a nasty surprise come january.

Seriously, don't be scared. It's just nuts and bolts. If you can read and remember where things go, it's a days job if you are careful, and a few hours if you have done it before.
Old 11-20-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
what are you gonna drive till then?
Old 11-20-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
i'm leaving for back home on dec20 til jan4. so a couple more weeks here i'll drive it and then work on it when i get back.
Old 11-20-2005
Premium Member

so how do you set the timing?
Old 11-20-2005
7thgen Terminator Ninja

booba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to behold
from what i've read, i think that there's 2 marks one on each gear and when you hit TDC they line up.
Old 11-20-2005
Premium Member

ya from what i know, the crank pulley has to be rotated so 1st cylinder is up, then the head goes on with camshaft at tdc and then the cam gear goes on tdc. but i hope the aem has something on it that says UP like the stock one.
Old 11-20-2005
7thgen Terminator Ninja

if not, (this is just an idea) when you do reach TDC, put some white-out on the gear?
Old 11-20-2005
7thgen Terminator Ninja

over in the upper right?
Old 11-21-2005
Premium Member

yup im guessing its where the timing degrees are cause the pin is also there for the cam. wow those idiots at the shop drilled holes in the top of my overflow tank and I found plastic chunks floating in the coolant. wow
Old 11-21-2005

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
dang. i really suggest the haynes manual. honestly. it has helped me alot alot with whatever i want to do. like i have the manual its only like 20 bucks.
Old 11-21-2005
Premium Member

i have the official honda manual but really those things assume you have a small idea of how cars work.
Old 11-21-2005
Registered!!

KYjerry414 is an unknown quantity at this point
i am doing a K20A2 swap. My vtec heads will be for sale. Just pm me. i should have old motor pulled out week after thanksgiving week and i can ship them asap. just waiting for few more stuff for my k20a2 swap.
Old 11-21-2005
Premium Member

details? how many miles on the head. i may be interested if it comes with the cam already on it. pics would be good once you get it off. i found one already but if its not good i'll take yours.
Old 11-21-2005
Registered!!

Sick Cycle is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah, you don't have to remove the crank pulley to get the head off ... just line everything up. from what I remember, you don't even have to remove the intake mani ..

1st time, it took my buddy 10 hours to replace the hg ... second time was I think around 5-6 hours ...

gear: what turbo setup are you gonna go with? dezod?

you've had a lot of problems with your car! ... you should just go for reliability and drop a k-series motor
Old 11-21-2005

ncirom2003 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by gearbox
hmm this is gonna be a big challenge. i just hope i dont get stuck in the middle. i'm making a list of stuff i need first so prolly wont do this for a while. maybe not til january. any tools you recommend? you rotate crank pulley counterclockwise right to set it to tdc? i guess i can see this where the piston is? then just make sure the stuff lines up. i may need to loosen the belt tho to get it off the cam gear.
dont go rotating pulleys, you blew a head gasket not a timing belt. blowing a head gasket doesnt f$%^ with timing so while removing the head, just put a wax crayon(not crayola, ask for it at autozone) mark where the arrow on the cam pulley is pointing on the head and mark the pulley and the belt. do the same on the crank pulley, when assembling just make sure it all is back how it was.

oh and you dont have to remove the cam pulley either, the only problem is if you dissasemble it or somehow it rotates, make sure the arrow points to where you made the chalk mark.

Last edited by ncirom2003; 11-21-2005 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-21-2005
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
Pffft this is an opportunity. Replace everything for boost! lol
Old 11-21-2005
The Beez Kneez

acidbaby will become famous soon enoughacidbaby will become famous soon enough
im sure someone local can help with the install>>>
Old 11-21-2005
Premium Member

Originally Posted by ncirom2003
dont go rotating pulleys, you blew a head gasket not a timing belt. blowing a head gasket doesnt f$%^ with timing so while removing the head, just put a wax crayon(not crayola, ask for it at autozone) mark where the arrow on the cam pulley is pointing on the head and mark the pulley and the belt. do the same on the crank pulley, when assembling just make sure it all is back how it was.

oh and you dont have to remove the cam pulley either, the only problem is if you dissasemble it or somehow it rotates, make sure the arrow points to where you made the chalk mark.
i'm swapping the head so the cam pulley has to come off. i thought the crank pulley needs to be turned to tdc before starting any work. do i just put a socket on it and rotate? it should just turn the crank and not loosen the pulley I'm thinking. that way when i put the cam gear on, it will be pointing up to tdc. but yes i will still mark the belt. I'm gonna try and slide it on and off without actually taking the belt off but it may be on too tight so then I have to play with auto tensioner.
Old 11-21-2005
Registered!!

dj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to all
DH racing screwed me over. their port and polish cylinder head messed up my car now I have a head gasket leak and coolant going all over the engine bay and on the plugs. I'm done. If anyone has a vtec head with everything on it, I'm in desperate need of one. somehow i'm gonna have to become an expert in auto repair real soon cause I'm gonna have to fix it myself. Yea i'm screwed.
see i told you but no, no one ever listens, that sucks ***** thoe ill be on the look out for a ex head for you.

dammm ****ing DH!!!!!
Old 11-21-2005

ncirom2003 will become famous soon enough
i'm swapping the head so the cam pulley has to come off. i thought the crank pulley needs to be turned to tdc before starting any work. do i just put a socket on it and rotate? it should just turn the crank and not loosen the pulley I'm thinking. that way when i put the cam gear on, it will be pointing up to tdc. but yes i will still mark the belt. I'm gonna try and slide it on and off without actually taking the belt off but it may be on too tight so then I have to play with auto tensioner.
you wont have to remove the cam pulley, you might need to remove the rocker arm assembly and the cam (with pulley still on) to access the head bolts though. the crank doesnt have to be turned to tdc. thats only if the timing got messed up and i guarantee it didnt. just mark where the cam pully points to and put it back so the line on the pulley lines up with the mark on the head you made. no pulley dismounting nescesary. you wouldnt be able to get it off to easy without a impact gun anyways. then youd proabbly need a damper puller. you will have to play with the tensioner to remove the belt.
ive done head removals before, you dont need to remove the crank pulley or turn it.
i dont want to sound like a **** here, cus id love to help, but you need to really research this and really get an understanding for what needs to be done and why. once you get that youll do it with no problems. if you run into any problems PM me and ill try to help you out, oh and be very cautios with the rocker arm asembly, it falls apart if you tilt it. (i know from experience.)
Old 11-21-2005
Premium Member

i'm having trouble believing you don't remove the cam pulley gear since its attached to the cam on the head. You know I'm swapping a new head right and not just changing the gasket. i understand the part about leaving the crank pulley alone tho.
Old 11-21-2005
Premium Member

i was gonna take off the cam gear and let the belt hang without falling. then swap the head. then put the belt over the cam gear so the mark on the belt matches mark on gear, then put the gear on the camshaft so the pinholes match up. i remember they did this last time but it took alot of strength to lift the gear on. i'm not sure if i'll be able to. I just don't see how the cam gear and belt can stay on if the head and cam has to come off.
Old 11-21-2005

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
Well the good news is your suprise is comming on monday =)
Old 11-21-2005
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
damn sorry to hear that gearbox. Good luck on the fix!!
Old 11-21-2005

Originally Posted by TheSmuggler
Well the good news is your suprise is comming on monday =)
what is this suprise. did you get him a head?
Old 11-21-2005

I don't know if I can tell so my lips are sealed lol
Old 11-21-2005

Originally Posted by TheSmuggler
I don't know if I can tell so my lips are sealed lol
ahem ahem... PM ME!!!

Quick Reply: My car is dead