Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Rear Strut Clunk Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011
Busy Speeding!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough
Rear Strut Clunk Noise

So as some of you may know, I replaced all 4 of my struts with stock replacements. I ordered the strut and spring separately to save some moolah and compressed them myself at my schools auto shop.

To make the work faster a classmate of mine did one of my rears for me. After the rears were done my autos teacher looked as his work and told me he never seated the spring. took a look, and sure enough, the spring was not in the seat and maybe a 90 degree rotation off. Autos teacher told me I MIGHT have to re-do it, and I was crossing my fingers that I didnt have to.

Drove around a little and noticed a clunking noise from the rear strut whenever I'd hit a bump. So, I did the work I needed and seated the spring correctly. Drove it a little more and it seemed better, but still there. What is going on?

I also noticed that on the top of my rear strut theres a rubber piece sticking out of the top. Ill take pics tonight and upload it. Im thinking that might be the problem.

This is the rubber piece (Picture from Google) and mine looks like its sticking out on one side like it was forced out
Name:  aaa.jpg
Views: 5118
Size:  41.3 KB

Last edited by SlimRisk; 12-19-2011 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-19-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Rear Strut Clunk Noise

At first, it sounded like the spring was still misaligned, but if the mount is damaged that will definitely cause clunking.
Old 12-19-2011
Busy Speeding!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by MindBomber
At first, it sounded like the spring was still misaligned, but if the mount is damaged that will definitely cause clunking.
I think driving around on the bad spring mightve done that. Whats the worst that could happen? Just an annoying noise?

Look at what happened to this accord owner
Name:  IMG013.jpg
Views: 4511
Size:  87.1 KB

Last edited by SlimRisk; 12-19-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-19-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

^that's the worse that could happen and it if happens to break through while on a hard corner, well..

I'd just replace it if it is indeed damaged, they're cheap. I have a bunch laying around, I'd send you one for the cost of shipping if you didn't live in the states.