Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Rear end noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Foggy60 is an unknown quantity at this point
Rear end noise

I have a 2006 SI, bought it brand new, and love it! It busted rolled 102,000 and I am hearing a noise coming from the left rear of the car. Any ideas? Thanks
Foggy60
Old 05-30-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Rear end noise

Need a little more info then that.

Clunk, grind, whoosh, buzz, woof, what kind of sound?

When does it occur? All the time? Only over bumps? Does the sound change in intensity as you speed up/slow down?

Any work previously done to the car in the back?
Old 05-30-2015
Registered!!

It has never had any work to the rear end, the noise is a constant grind and gets louder at higher speeds.
Originally Posted by GolNat
Need a little more info then that.

Clunk, grind, whoosh, buzz, woof, what kind of sound?

When does it occur? All the time? Only over bumps? Does the sound change in intensity as you speed up/slow down?

Any work previously done to the car in the back?
Old 05-30-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Foggy60
It has never had any work to the rear end, the noise is a constant grind and gets louder at higher speeds.
wheel bearing is my guess

does it sound like a buzzing or humming sound that is consistant with the speed of the vehicle?

sound like an airplane engine? WWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?

could be a bad wheel bearing
Old 05-30-2015
Registered!!

yea that was my guess, I've taken great care of the car. Needs some new tires so I figured I have it look at then, will be resting in my garage for the summer so something I'll get to in the fall, waiting to get the new 2016 when it comes out
Originally Posted by mikey1
wheel bearing is my guess

does it sound like a buzzing or humming sound that is consistant with the speed of the vehicle?

sound like an airplane engine? WWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?

could be a bad wheel bearing
Old 05-30-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Foggy60
yea that was my guess, I've taken great care of the car. Needs some new tires so I figured I have it look at then, will be resting in my garage for the summer so something I'll get to in the fall, waiting to get the new 2016 when it comes out
could also be a bad tire, shift them around and see,

but my money is still on a bad wheel bearing
Old 05-30-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Wheel bearing most likely but I would do what Mikey said and swap the tires to be sure. Or when you have the rear end up spin the tire by hand and see if you can hear it.