Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Help with making suspension stiffer

Search this Thread

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pserk is an unknown quantity at this point
Help with making suspension stiffer

Hi guys

I have 2002 1.6 (D16) petrol civic hatchback which we use at old-timers racing series.
Very budget friendly series so looking for DIY solution or some relatively cheap way to make my car to drive as horribly as possible

Joking Anyways, I installed Eibach lowering springs but the car is still too soft for the track driving. Front end dives still massively in fast corners and I need some solution. Coilovers would be the way to go but they cost more than the car...
Do we have any other solution? Does anyone know if I can use any other model springs with stock shocks? Any other ideas?

Thanks guys
Best Regards from Estonia
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Registered!!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
TokyoCornflower is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Help with making suspension stiffer

I don't do any track or racing. I do like spirited driving of winding roads. I recently put Tein EnduraPro Plus struts on the front of my EM2 2002 EX, they have adjustable dampening which I normally have at about 75% stiffness. I have been please with them. Definitely a big improvement over stock (worn out) struts. Its not like driving on rails or anything, but for highway, and curving back roads they (would) enable me to drive faster than would be wise, so I have no need for better. I don't know how they would do on track or at 'high' speed (it isn't Covid anymore after all). They are cheaper than coilovers, and bolt straight in, but (I assume) are short of top possible handling for a civic.

I have KYB adjustables on the rear, but those are discontinued, and a little inferior to the EnduraPro Plus.

I am not sure if a D16 hatchback uses the same struts as mine or not. But Tein has a long list of sub-models they offer.

have you upgraded the sway bars? That I believe can help with cornering also a good bit.

I have no idea if I am helping you any or not. But good luck, I hope you are able to get it setup to do want you need
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Super Moderator

Received 1,902 Likes on 1,339 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Re: Help with making suspension stiffer

Lowering springs and sway bars were some of my first suspension mods. However, coilovers are much better. I currently have Tein Street Advance coilovers lowered their recommended amount, a larger rear sway bar, front sway bar is actually disconnected to help stop understeer, added negative camber to the front and rear. It handles fairly well.