Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Resurface rotor or not with current thickness.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
abhijitz is an unknown quantity at this point
Resurface rotor or not with current thickness.

Model : 2003 Honda Civic LX

Front Rotor Thickness Min Spec : 0.75"
Front Rotor Current Thickness :0.80" [Certain areas recorded 0.801, Certain 0.804, Certain 0.803]

Front Brake Pads Min Spec : 1.5mm
Front Brake Pads Current Spec : 3.26mm

Issue : steering wheel pulsation during heavy braking. wheels have been re-balanced. alignment done to spec.

So, i am not sure if my rotor is warped, i dont think at 1/1000" it can be considered as warped. Do you guys think there is enough meat left to perform one resurface? [It was never done before]. With a resurface how much material is shaved off?
Old 07-25-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Resurface rotor or not with current thickness.

Have they been machined at all ? Make sure it is not from rear (press and hold parking brake button and work them on and off at 20mph and see if you get pulsing)

I no longer get rotors machined, simply replace them at 2nd set of pads. And use OEM.
Old 07-25-2013

No, they have not been machined at all.

Originally Posted by CraigW
Have they been machined at all ?

Ok, i will check this step and report back.

Originally Posted by CraigW
Make sure it is not from rear (press and hold parking brake button and work them on and off at 20mph and see if you get pulsing)
Old 07-25-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

^^ likely the rotors, out of round drums were common on my past Corollas.... not so much with Civics.

The test will let you know pretty quick.

3.26mm is certainly not much pad left either.
Old 07-25-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

If you think the rotors might be warped you should be more concerned with runout than thickness. The thickness doesn't change from the warping but the runout (distance of the rotor surface from a fixed point) does. Thickness becomes an issue when they turn the rotor. They have to remove material until the warp or runout is eliminated and they can not go below the min thickness. How much material they remove depends on how badly the rotor is warped.
Old 07-25-2013

I dont have a dial indicator to measure the runout. The warpness (if any) is not much that is visible with the eye and a vertical scale perpendicular to surface.

Originally Posted by pjb3
If you think the rotors might be warped you should be more concerned with runout than thickness. The thickness doesn't change from the warping but the runout (distance of the rotor surface from a fixed point) does. Thickness becomes an issue when they turn the rotor. They have to remove material until the warp or runout is eliminated and they can not go below the min thickness. How much material they remove depends on how badly the rotor is warped.
Old 08-03-2013
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

I'd get them resurfaced. Any reputable shop will tell you if they can't do it due to the thickness (liability). Depending on which pad I use, I get my rotors resurfaced anywhere from 1-2 times for its life.