EGR Valve Gasket and Brake Rotor ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
EGR Valve Gasket and Brake Rotor ?'s

2004 Honda Civic Value Sedan A/T, 65K miles. Purchased car 3 years ago with 50k on odometer.

Currently replacing valve cover gasket, cam seal plug and valve adjustment on my mom's granny-mobile. I removed the EGR valve to get better access to the cam plug and at first it looked like it didn't have a gasket,,searched on net and shows a hard metal type gasket. I peeled an edge very slightly to confirm and it does have one. Is this correct and can I re-use it without it leaking? The gasket is inexpensive so I don't mind buying another if needed. Also, is it okay to spray out the EGR valve (bottom ports only) with brake cleaner?

Front brakes are squealing intermittently and without wheel shudder. The pads were replaced recently so I'm thinking the rotors need to be either turned or replaced. AT 65K miles and most likely being original rotors which would be the best option?
Old 07-09-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EGR Valve Gasket and Brake Rotor ?'s

I'd bolt the EGR back on and if it doesn't leak you're done. If it leaks then buy a gasket.

50k? Car may have another 100k or more before EGR clogging (at the intake ports) becomes an issue... and spray can make carbon buildup gummy and gooey..... I wouldn't spray anything but you can if you wish.

Cheap pads? They make noise, we absolutely refuse to use them at work because it's almost a guaranteed comeback.
Try ceramics.
Glazed rotors? We resurface rotors with brake jobs at the shop unless they are too thin to machine.
Old 07-09-2015

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezone
I'd bolt the EGR back on and if it doesn't leak you're done. If it leaks then buy a gasket.
Sounds good.

50k? Car may have another 100k or more before EGR clogging (at the intake ports) becomes an issue... and spray can make carbon buildup gummy and gooey..... I wouldn't spray anything but you can if you wish.
Not worth it then,

Cheap pads? They make noise, we absolutely refuse to use them at work because it's almost a guaranteed comeback.
Try ceramics. Glazed rotors? We resurface rotors with brake jobs at the shop unless they are too thin to machine.
We used ceramics. The car is on jacks now so I'll pull the rotors and bring them to an auto parts store or reputable shop that turns rotors. If they can't be turned then I'll probably go with these: http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/621272/00398 I purchased these for my daughter's '98 Civic EX and they are working well (500 miles on them) but, early to tell. I got them for $35 each and not the price shown.
You'll probably tell me I will get what I pay for..lol.
Old 07-09-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by turd_ferguson
You'll probably tell me I will get what I pay for..lol.
I've heard there are no brake rotors made in the US anymore.

I'm not sure if that applies only to aftermarket though.
Old 07-09-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

I bought those rotors from Pep boys in March.
I am getting pulsing when I brake above 50mph. I'm going to ask Pep Boys to resurface them or replace them, but I am not hopeful.
I think its a crap shoot, any rotor can warp.
Old 07-09-2015

Rotors got resurfaced at Pep boys and working well. I re-greased the bottom,top, backs of pads and cleaned and greased slider pins with Napa's syl-glide (synthetic grease) and no more squealing,,very quiet (so far). Out of curiosity I called the local Honda dealer's part dept and got a quote on new rotors..$117 each...ouch...although I'm sure they'd last a long time.

Other items done over past two days:
Valve adjustment: intake = .008, exhaust =.010
Valve cover gasket set
Rear cam plug seal
Throttle body cleaning
Cleaned engine, engine bay, and underside of hood.
No more oil leaks and granny-mobile looking cleaner now.

Thanks for the replies and help.
Old 07-09-2015

Originally Posted by bsmiley
I bought those rotors from Pep boys in March.
I am getting pulsing when I brake above 50mph. I'm going to ask Pep Boys to resurface them or replace them, but I am not hopeful.
I think its a crap shoot, any rotor can warp.
Should fall under their 3 year warranty.