Air Conditioning Post issues about air conditioning here

Ac pressures equalized

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2021
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Masonchamby is an unknown quantity at this point
Ac pressures equalized

OK so I just picked up a 2009 civic, I had to replace the AC relay and I went to test it. Immediately the car starts blowing warm air and then when I drive it above 45 miles an hour and blows cold air. Hooked up my gauges and I have 80 psi on the low side and 150 on the high side at idle! I don’t believe that it’s over charges and my suspicions are taking me towards a metering device issue. Has anyone had any other issues like this? Any help is appreciated .

and yes the Compressor does engage and the condenser fans do turn on when I turn on the AC.
Old 06-07-2021
Super Moderator

Received 1,874 Likes on 1,319 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Re: Ac pressures equalized

Sounds like possibly a failing compressor. Low side is too high to be running but doesn't appear to be overfilled. High side is too low but because of the low side reading means it's not underfilled. Compressor isn't building up enough pressure.
Old 06-07-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
Sounds like possibly a failing compressor. Low side is too high to be running but doesn't appear to be overfilled. High side is too low but because of the low side reading means it's not underfilled. Compressor isn't building up enough pressure.

I originally thought that too, however the system was never fully charged to begin with. The compressor clutch is not stiff at all and it’s easy to turn. I actually had the AC relay go bad on me and had to replace it to. Something very interesting is that when the AC is turned off the pressures take about an hour to equalize.
Old 06-07-2021
Super Moderator

BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

What does the pressure read when it has equalized? Should be around ambient temp in Fahrenheit. You say it wasn't ever fully filled but I'm the pressures are not saying it's low. If it were low on refrigerant you would see the high side too low (like it is) and the low side too low (like 10 psi).
Old 06-07-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
What does the pressure read when it has equalized? Should be around ambient temp in Fahrenheit. You say it wasn't ever fully filled but I'm the pressures are not saying it's low. If it were low on refrigerant you would see the high side too low (like it is) and the low side too low (like 10 psi).
the pressure is normally equalized out around 100 psi but it takes about an hour to do sound like I said. wha
Old 06-07-2021
Super Moderator

According to all the readings you've provided I can confidently say the system is not low. I still believe it is a failing compressor.
Old 06-13-2021
Registered!!

1sthonda09Civic is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm going to follow this one because I too am having issues with an 09 Civic I recently purchased and maybe someone can also post some help for information on my issue.... mine starts out nice and cold no problem and at idle has 50 psi on the low side I didn't check the high side.... it will only go out after I take it on about a 10 minute drive and once I do that the compressor clutch shuts off... I verified that I do have power by putting a test lamp from negative to the red wire on the clutch, and also verified if I move the test light over to the positive cable and probe my ground or my hot wire that I do get the test light to come on..
is it possible the clutch just gets too hot and stops engaging, as I can visibly see that the clutch no longer is engaged?
Old 06-13-2021
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by 1sthonda09Civic
I'm going to follow this one because I too am having issues with an 09 Civic I recently purchased and maybe someone can also post some help for information on my issue.... mine starts out nice and cold no problem and at idle has 50 psi on the low side I didn't check the high side.... it will only go out after I take it on about a 10 minute drive and once I do that the compressor clutch shuts off... I verified that I do have power by putting a test lamp from negative to the red wire on the clutch, and also verified if I move the test light over to the positive cable and probe my ground or my hot wire that I do get the test light to come on..is it possible the clutch just gets too hot and stops engaging, as I can visibly see that the clutch no longer is engaged?
​​​​​​​Could be, you can take apart the clutch and remove a shim, see if it engages better

Last edited by Colin42; 06-13-2021 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-13-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
Could be, you can take apart the clutch and remove a shim, see if it engages better
I guess I could try that, the funny thing is the once I hit about 45 the AC turns ice cold.
Old 06-13-2021
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Masonchamby
I guess I could try that, the funny thing is the once I hit about 45 the AC turns ice cold.
Sorry that was to someone else, you need to do what Brotato told you to do